After two setbacks and much waiting, Juno finally went in for surgery yesterday, which ended up being three surgeries because she had gotten a hematoma in her right ear shortly before. (Hematoma is basically a sac of blood from broken blood vessels, in her case, from hitting her ear against a wall during a big body shake - like how dogs do when they're drying off.)
She made it through the two hour surgeries alright and the bill came to $385, then I added almost $15 more to buy her an e-collar to keep her from biting or scratching at the stitches, that will come out in 10 days. The donations were extremely generous and covered nearly half the bill, so we really can't thank you enough.
Post-surgery isn't going great, Juno's in a lot of pain and is very nauseated from the anesthesia, which can last up to 48 hours. She hasn't been able to eat anything yet, but is drinking now. She threw up about 4 times last night and did get dehydrated from that. David is calling the vet soon to let them know, but because Juno's drinking water, I'm limiting her to a little every 30-60 minutes to get her hydrated again without making her sick. The main concern is we haven't given her the antibiotics yet, which were to start this morning. Instead, we'll be starting those tonight to give her belly a chance to settle, and then hope she can keep them down. She's keeping her pain meds down alright, but they don't appear to be helping much.
The results of her biopsy will be in sometime between Wednesday and Friday, and I'll update again once we have those.
We have another couple interested in Juno that we're very excited about. The original couple still wants her, but they didn't anticipate everything that goes into buying a house and we can't give them another month or two if we can help it. This new couple lives in Indiana and their application and phone screening was exceptional. When Juno recovers, we'll take her for the two hour drive to meet them and their dogs to decide if it's the right home for her. Really, it relies on how she and their dogs do together. Juno loves dogs, but she could stand to have more training with them, so it's not certain but we are hopeful.
Hope she gets adopted, if I had space I'd take her.
Please give us the vet's name and office location again.
It's Dr. Roe at Country Squire Animal Hospital on Navarre in Oregon, in the same lot as Kroger.
We're taking her in again in a bit for an anti-nausea shot. She is slowly getting hydrated again, should be back to normal by this evening.
I called the office about a donation and they told me that there were several "Junos". I tried to describe the surgery, but they said if I had more information or a last name that would help.
I don't know how comfortable you are with giving your last name, but if you could or some additional info. please email it email@example.com
I'm guessing the nausea also could be from the pain meds. The vet gave my dog a drug called Reglan, and it took away her nausea right away so she could eat. Good luck!
Check with your vet because you can also give them pepto.
The account is under D. Combs, but today was a meager $25. She was almost entirely hydrated, so she just got an anti-nausea shot and some pills for the next few days. Juno's eating again, which is great, and can start her antibiotics now, even better.
We waited until she was done vomiting to start the pain meds. Guess from now on surgery should be a last resort, should something happen, if at all possible. I didn't think to try pepto. Poor girl had only bile in her stomach, she needed something to coat it.
you are doing an awesome job, one that you were just handed out of the blue, lest anyone forget. thank you so much for everything you've done for this little one.
Juno's biopsy came back and the tumor was benign!
She's coming around from the surgeries, still spending a lot of time resting/sleeping on the couch, but pretty much back to her old self.
Her stitches come out on Wednesday and she'll be done with her antibiotics on Friday, so we're shooting to do home checks on Saturday. We have one lady in Michigan and the couple in Indiana now, both around 2 hours away. If the home check goes well, we're adopting her out at that time.
Back to square one (sort of) with adopters. The original family still wants her, but are still dealing with paperwork on their house, unsure how long it'll actually take.
We had to decline the family in Indiana after much consideration. They were perfect, but Juno would doubtfully do well with three other dogs. She's come a long way with training and is very well behaved, but we still have a long way to go when she gets excited.
The lady in Michigan is now being added to the do not adopt list in several states after our meeting. She had lied on the application and in the three phone calls and two emails about not having a cat. We discovered this during the home check, where she became irrational and insulting, almost demanding we leave Juno with her. Cats are our biggest deal breaker, but the fact that she lied to us and intended on putting her cat in clear danger makes her an unfit adopter despite where she goes.
Juno has healed beautifully for the most part, just waiting for her ear to mend and grow back some fur. She has all her energy and appetite back, and is looking forward to the warmer weather.
sounds like that lady wanted Juno for someone else, like she never intended to keep her so having a cat didn't matter. :(
She insisted she'd be able to train Juno to get along with cats in a single week, openly assuming that I'm too young and naive (oh, and negligent) to accomplish that, and not that it's just an un-accomplishable task. She believes her last dog was also cat aggressive, and by repeatedly telling him what a bad dog he was, after a week he left the cat alone. Which isn't a prey drive, like in Juno's case, but your typical overly-excited-about-cats dog. Telling Juno, an abused dog with a high prey drive, how bad she would only make her more insecure.
It was her daughter who told us, "You know there's a cat here, right?", and seemed genuinely concerned that Juno wasn't right for that home. I don't think the lady ever told her daughter she had lied to us. Had we not found out, that poor cat would be dead by now. She was just one of those people who didn't agree with the process and only wanted to get her way.
Gosh, that's too bad dralionagogo!
I love cats and always used to be more of a "cat person." However, I'm almost afraid to try getting a cat now, because we have 2 hunting breed dogs (Weimaraner and Pointer).
I just can't in good conscience bring a cat into the home not knowing how my dogs will react around it!
I used to think that they didn't have a strong prey drive...until one of them caught a rabbit who had the misfortune of wandering into our back yard a few weeks ago. Eek!
Did another paypal hope you get it ok, wish it was more. Good luck.
Thank you so much for the donation. I meant to email you days ago to thank you for it but we've been doing round-the-clock care for one of our cats (Comrade). We just had to put her down yesterday, cancer got the best of her. So really, truly thank you. Juno's been more expensive by leaps and bounds than any of the others, so we really appreciate it. Juno will hopefully be adopted in two weeks, give or take.