The Last Al Smith's Has Burned Down

I just saw disaster cleaning trucks and the insurance rep at Al Smith's restaurant on Executive Parkway. Was Al's part of a chain? My cousin remembers several different locations during different time periods -- going way back to the 1970s?

created by viola on Mar 15, 2012 at 02:14:53 pm     Food     Comments: 8

I was so surprised to hear about that this morning.

My husband, kids, and I were over in that plaza just yesterday. He reminded me how when we first started dating, we used to go to that Al Smith's for late-night/post-bar breakfast with a big group of people.

It was so weird to have not thought of that place in years, walk by and talk about it yesterday, then hear on the news this morning that it had caught fire overnight.

posted by mom2 on Mar 15, 2012 at 02:24:48 pm     #

I wouldn't exactly call it "burned down." I walked by there at lunch and the building appeared fairly in tact. Looks like a lot of smoke but not a lot of heat. I would say they could reopen in a few months.

posted by avinsurer on Mar 15, 2012 at 02:25:48 pm     #

I was a little sad to see the news. I had a great time for a random family outing there last year.

If it re-opens, the old decor will likely all be gone. That was half of the appeal/character of the place. It was like eating a meal at your grandmother's.

posted by brainswell on Mar 15, 2012 at 02:43:40 pm     #

I walked by it at lunch too and noticed the neon sign was black from smoke damage. I am sure they will reopen. They are a very popular place.

posted by inga on Mar 15, 2012 at 05:44:36 pm     #

Once a week lunch place...gone...:(

posted by tlm0000 on Mar 15, 2012 at 06:26:29 pm     #

The first Al Smith's restaurant was in the old White Tower on Lewis Avenue. It closed when the original owner passed away and then became Jordan's Restaurant till it closed.

Good old fashioned home cooking and was always full. I wish the Al Smith's on Secor has a quick recovery and can return to the restaurant business as quick as possible.

posted by jackie on Mar 15, 2012 at 06:58:46 pm     #

Me and My wife went there almost every Saturday morning for Breakfast before we did our weekly shopping trip. The wait staff is really Good. Heck, they would have our drink sitting on our table before we sat down allot of the time..:)

posted by drunkenwildmage on Mar 15, 2012 at 06:59:16 pm     #

Al Smith's is open again. The decor is quite different from what it used to be. I didn't get a chance to look at the menu, but they still seem to be promoting breakfast-lunch-dinner. The Zaza Pizza (not yet open) is a few doors down in the same plaza.

posted by viola on Feb 20, 2013 at 05:55:32 pm     #