Balance Pan-Asian Grille on Central Ave.

Coming soon, at the Holland-Sylvania intersection, across from Wal-Mart (and the Magic Wok), a new Balance. Their signs are up, but parking lot has workmen's trucks in it. Rejoice, rejoice! I think it will be a good fit for the Old Orchard/UT crowd, who probably don't get down to Maumee that often.

created by viola on Mar 16, 2012 at 03:54:15 pm     Food     Comments: 26

I believe maumee will be closing soon or already closed

posted by wahhutch9 on Mar 16, 2012 at 06:49:05 pm     #

I eat at the one in Maumee every week or so. I was in the place last week, no notice about closing. They do a good lunch business but I'm sure it's dead at night and on weekends, they have a terrible location.

posted by SensorG on Mar 16, 2012 at 09:05:06 pm     #

When I was there last time the tea girl said that they would have all the same food as the Maumee location, but no tea bar... I love their teas and its the main reason I go there. I hope they reconsider......

posted by MrsA on Mar 16, 2012 at 09:22:34 pm     #

The strip center they are located at in Maumee was bought by Promedica or Mercy a few months ago.

posted by wahhutch9 on Mar 16, 2012 at 09:33:52 pm     #

I eat dinner there a few nights ago and I talked to the owner. The new balance location will be a second location and they have no intention of closing the old one.

Also, they were busier than I would have thought for a week night, it was nice to see.

posted by SensorG on Mar 22, 2012 at 06:57:16 am     #

Thanks for the update Sensor. Once the property was sold back in December, I just assumed it was only a matter of time before they would be forced to close.

posted by wahhutch9 on Mar 22, 2012 at 07:10:05 am     #

I'd never heard of that place before, but glad to see that there are some positive reviews.

The new location is in my neck of the woods. I'll have to check it out. Sounds like a place I'd like.

posted by mom2 on Mar 22, 2012 at 07:40:35 am     #   1 person liked this

get takeout often from maumee location often and think it's great. Waiter said they are not going to close.

posted by marco on Apr 29, 2012 at 11:23:40 pm     #

Picked up some carryout from Balance last night. First time there. Nice, clean, modern place. Met and chatted with the one of the owners a bit - sharp guy - has his head on straight.

Oh, did I mention the food was awesome? Can't wait to go again. Would not have known about this place if not for TT - thanks.

posted by Foodie on May 03, 2012 at 01:51:10 pm     #   1 person liked this

Went today for lunch...

They've completely changed their menu and lost a lot of my favorites. Also got rid of their nice dinner bowls and plates for cardboard containers.

Lastly, I had earned a free lunch from their awards program that was due to expire today. Conveniently their system was down and I couldn't claim.

Wow, this is a place I normally love, but I had such a lousy experience today it's going to be a while before I go back.

posted by SensorG on May 09, 2012 at 09:21:52 pm     #

Cardboard containers? Hmmmmmm.......last week when I got carrout, the dinners were in nice black plastic trays with clear covers.

As for the change of menu, the owner I spoke with did mention that he changes the menu each season.

posted by Foodie on May 10, 2012 at 03:22:39 pm     #

They used to serve their eat in food in nice white bowls. Now they’re using square paper/cardboard bowls.

Verses

I used to love getting their edamame, served traditionally – steamed in their pods with sea salt. Now they have citrus edamame – steamed in the pods, but served ice cold tossed in lime and fresh garlic. They were not good at all…

posted by SensorG on May 10, 2012 at 03:55:54 pm     #

I saw those nice white bowls last week. They must have just made the switch.

posted by Foodie on May 10, 2012 at 04:27:10 pm     #

Question: Is their food heavy on the salt? Am really trying to avoid salt (which, to be fair, covers most every restaurant, since salt is a chef's best friend), but would like to know if this place serves food that is obviously highly salty? Thanks.

posted by luvtoledo on May 12, 2012 at 08:31:43 am     #

Hmmmm........can't say that I found it that salty - but, I am a saltaholic so I would perhaps not be a good judge.

posted by Foodie on May 12, 2012 at 09:29:33 am     #

The food is not salty... perfectly seasoned IMO.

posted by MrsA on May 12, 2012 at 02:33:05 pm     #

looked like the windows are covered with newspaper when i drove by Monday.

posted by jhop on Jul 04, 2012 at 08:21:52 am     #

I saw a blurb that said they plan to open sometime in July. That explains why it looks like it's closed all the time! When they do open, I hope they get some flower boxes or something outside to draw attention at that busy intersection.

posted by viola on Jul 04, 2012 at 12:23:59 pm     #

Oh, it looked like it was open a couple of weeks ago when i drove by.

posted by jhop on Jul 04, 2012 at 04:18:18 pm     #

Yeah, I thought so too. They had a Now Hiring banner up a while ago. Since then, nothing.

posted by viola on Jul 04, 2012 at 10:19:52 pm     #

Newspaper on the windows might be late renovation painting. I've also been eagerly waiting for them to open and take a good look whenever I drive through that intersection. Are they known to do any opening promotions, the way Chipotle does free opening day burritos?

posted by RobJelf on Jul 04, 2012 at 10:59:55 pm     #

Food tonight was terrific and paper bowls were ot a detriment. We will return

posted by gunz1 on Jul 06, 2012 at 07:34:30 pm     #

July 18, 2016 - Simply Jess - Balance Pan Asian Grille

Excerpts:

Balance was born in 2010 as a creative restaurant concept formed by two University of Toledo grads. Both PK and HoChan were raised here in NW Ohio.

They very much liked the idea and convenience of fast-casual dining, but not the guilt-ridden, poor quality side you usually get with said convenience. They wanted to open the type of place where good quality food tastes great and gives the customer choices.

This is how “Balance” came into play. Proteins, fats, carbohydrates forming proper nutrition and options for great tasting, nutrient dense foods. PK and HoChan felt that healthy-Asian food was a bit of an untapped market here in the Toledo area.

The guys studied food trends of the West Coast and took into account age-focused beverage trends, like bubble tea.

The very flexible, interchangeable menu, and the impeccable quality gave Balance the boost they needed to continue to grow. Now with three locations Maumee (at Dussel and Ford), Sylvania/Toledo (at Central and Holland-Sylvania), and the newest in Perrysburg (N. Dixie Highway and Eckel Junction) Balance now has the options to serve most of the Toledo area population.

One aspect I love about Balance is the community involvement. From participating in many charitable events, to sourcing as much seasonally fresh, local produce as they possibly can.

Together, PK and HoChan are working with other chefs, farms, and organizations to “make it delicious in Toledo.” It was so cool to me to see pictures from one of the CSA farms in Toledo showing PK and HoChan around the fields in which their food is coming from.

posted by jr on Jul 21, 2016 at 08:09:43 am     #

Good food, enjoy it for lunch occasionally

posted by Hoops on Jul 21, 2016 at 09:06:24 am     #

I've been to the Perrysburg branch a few times - always good, healthy food. It's one of those places where I feel healthier after I've eaten.

posted by swampprof on Jul 21, 2016 at 09:12:51 am     #   1 person liked this

Just listened to this new podcast with Sam Melden and PK from Balance... https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/a-call-from.../id1118721503?mt=2#

posted by upso on Jul 21, 2016 at 09:54:30 am     #