Latest from bunker on Bancroft

UT employees screwed over by Admin again.

UT issued incorrect W2s for a very large number of employees.

This means everyone who has received an incorrect W2 will have to submit an ammended W2 if they have filed already. For some people, there are multiple mistakes and the amounts are thousands of dollars.

Today, an email went out that said there were EIGHT different areas where UT had screwed up the W2s. David Dabney, CFO & VP for Finance, sent out a mass email which said there are many areas where corrections to the W-2ís are being or have been made, including:

1. Mistakes with HSA Box 12W (Health Savings Accounts);

2. Dental benefits wrong for Health Sciences Campus;

3. Medical Residents not having federal and state taxes withheld first couple of pay periods due to W-4ís not being submitted timely to set up withholding. Gross income understated on initial W-2 because for pay periods where no federal or state withholding occurred the gross income was not included on the W-2.

4. Relocation expenses: included taxable and non-taxable. Had to separate and reissue.

5. Group Life Insurance contained many mistakes, including incorrect imputed income and not being set up for reduction in coverage due to age.

6. Many mistakes with imputed income - including it being calculated based on 12 months of pay, whereas most professors are on 9 month contracts. This seems to be related to the Banner system (which was introduced at ENORMOUS expense, with almost no training for anyone, and was not as good as the previous system... another brilliant idea)

7. Reduced coverage for those 70 or older was not factored in, resulting in overstatement of imputed income.

Even though UT's Admin has admitted this, they still haven't provided corrected W2s... meaning that people have had to delay filing their returns - and getting a refund - (or will have to resubmit, and perhaps even pay back money they've already spent).

BUT WAIT... IT GETS WORSE!!!!!!!!

They also said today that there were mistakes in the 2009 and 2010 W2s, but they won't even send out amended forms until JUNE of this year. They will not provide any financial assistance to cover the cost of people re-filing for those years; the limit is $100 for this year alone. And that is only if you have already submitted... if your accountant had done it, but you got notified of the error before you'd signed the final document, and so you just waited... there is no compensation for the extra expenses you will incur for them re-doing it.

People at UT are wondering out loud

Why are they so incompetent?

Why hasn't there been a complete rehaul of the finance department (including the people at the top losing their jobs) because of this gross negligence?

Why are they taking so long to do all these ammended W2s?

Why do they think June 2012 is an acceptable date to aim at for mistakes in 2009 and 2010?

How can the head of finance keep his job in these circumstances?

Truly appalling stuff. And the taxpayer will have to foot the bill for the massive fines UT will incur.

Sounds like Jacobs' Administration will give themselves huge bonuses for this 'job well done'.

And a class action law suit against the University might be coming this way! Stay tuned!

created by RockChick on Mar 16, 2012 at 09:23:11 pm     Education     Comments: 35

huh, I work at UTMC, I was notified a month ago that the dental figure needed correction, and I got my corrected W2 2 weeks ago. I just checked my work email 2 minutes ago, no email. Are you writing this up for The Blade? How come you know all this?

posted by nana on Mar 16, 2012 at 11:28:41 pm     #

I have no connection to The Blade. How do I know all of this???....I pay attention, that's how.

posted by RockChick on Mar 17, 2012 at 02:21:11 am     #

"This means everyone who has received an incorrect W2 will have to submit an amended W2 if they have already filed."

Wrong. Under the Internal Revenue Code, your obligation to file ends with the initial filing. You are not obligated to amend a return if new information is discovered. You may voluntarily amend if the mistake is in your favor or the IRS might catch the error during its random and/or routine cross checking. I said might. Depending on the error, it might be overlooked. If the error is minor (or even major) I would wait until the IRS found it and then plead ignorance to get out of the penalties saying you thought you had filed correctly.

And finally, why all the blame on UT? Where is your responsibility to make sure your W2 looks right? I agree that some of these the average employee wouldn't know if they were right or wrong, but missing wages? HSA amounts wrong?

posted by MrsArcher on Mar 17, 2012 at 07:43:56 am     #

It's because of the administration's policy of firing real employees and then hiring more and more student workers and buying outrageously expensive junk software packages that do not work correctly. Watch, they will make a new administration official, "Vice President for Excellence in W2s" fire 10 more full-time employees to pay for it, rob humanities programs of 1/2 of a full time secretary, and hire a student to enter the data into a horrendously expensive new computer and software package in between sips of his/her Starbucks coffee, txt msgs, and Ipod adjustments. (No swipes intended against student workers, they just do what they are told, but their comittment is and should be to school work, not making up for the stupidity of our administration.)

posted by ilovetoledo on Mar 17, 2012 at 09:01:48 am     #   1 person liked this

@ilovetoledo...You got that right!!!

posted by RockChick on Mar 17, 2012 at 01:14:34 pm     #

So you don't bother to respond to my points about it not being as end-of-the-world as you think, that you don't HAVE to file an amended return, and personal responsibility, you just go on and on and on complaining about UT. Same with the other poster who had a different experience than you. So go ahead and rant.

posted by MrsArcher on Mar 17, 2012 at 06:44:08 pm     #

Rockchick has posted several stories about horridly unfair situations at UT. I know ToledoTalk serves as a great place to blow off steam. I can't help but notice that Rockchick's post contains neatly numbered complaints, a series of related questions, and predictions for fines, bonuses, and coverups. That's a LOT of work to put into a rant ;-)

I worked at a comparable university in another state, in a business support position. I remember it was very hard to get anything done because of gossip and constant speculations about dire trouble (like the above). My friends used to call me at home on my days off to rant about similar things.

It seems to be a toxic atmosphere. If you're pretty close to retirement, RockChick, I hope you can stick it out and perhaps take up meditation or another spiritual practice to calm your spirit. If you're way too young to retire, you might consider working for a different employer, to remove yourself from the constant flow of hatred.

If you are interested in seeking justice and helping to "punish" UT, you should contact a few reporters. Somebody might want to pursue the story. Best of luck.

posted by viola on Mar 17, 2012 at 11:33:24 pm     #

Hi Viola

Nah, it is just a corrupt place full of cover-ups.
I'm just committed to telling the truth about it.
And I don't believe in telling people to LIE to the IRS about their tax returns MrsArcher (i.e. to say "Oh I thought I did it" according to your suggestion). That's part of the problem... so many people are being dishonest.

To love a school, is not to be silent about its problems... sometimes, it means you do the exact opposite... to identify things that need to be addressed. The problems at UT in the Administration are serious and worthy of discussion... particularly because it is state funded.

posted by RockChick on Mar 18, 2012 at 12:57:14 am     #

I did not say lie to the IRS, I said you have no obligation to file an amended return as long as the originally filed one was accurate when filed. Pleading ignorance about the affects of amended earni ga and potential penalty is not lying it is sayi g I did not know what the amended stuff meant. Again, not lying because you filed correctly based on originally issued documents. You don't seem to understand that companies issuing amended W-2s and 1099s is pretty standard and I have seem them re-issues numerous times and months later. It happens. It's not earn shattering. And the IRS isn't on witch hunt when it happens.

As far as UT being corrupt - that's a legal term. Care to produce facts enough to prosecute or do you just want to whine about it?

posted by MrsArcher on Mar 18, 2012 at 05:30:46 pm     #   1 person liked this

I have a brother who now teaches part time at UT. He has mentioned most of what RockChick has posted. There definitely is an internal problem in the payroll department. Whether it is payroll or other departments heads at fault it is a litany of incompetence.

posted by jackie on Mar 18, 2012 at 06:31:52 pm     #

Mrs Archer

If you care to take the time and look up and read all of my previous posts about UT and there long history of incompetence you are more than welcome. There are ongoing investigations of misuse of P cards by dept heads and admin people. You It has been found that a P card has been used to pay for everything from apt. rent, magazine subscriptions, huge dinner tabs including alcohol. It is common knowledge that one VP routinely charges his suits that he purchases at some pretty trendy mens stores on his P card. Library fees that can't be accounted for and the list goes on and on. Please take the time to aquaint yourself with the information I have posted. Also the original W2's were NOT accurate. Mrs Archer, do you need anymore info? If not, STFU. Thank you and have a blessed day!

posted by RockChick on Mar 18, 2012 at 06:55:44 pm     #

MrsArcher posted at 05:30:46 PM on Mar 18, 2012:

"Corrupt" is NOT a legal term. "Fraud" is.

posted by anonymouscoward on Mar 18, 2012 at 07:08:23 pm     #

RockChick,

So we're supposed to assume you are a reliable source? Personally, I already find your last post a bit inconsistent. Is Mrs Archer supposed to have a blessed day or did you intend to be very rude to her?

Obviously you subscribe to the mass e-mails sent out by the UT unions and enjoy reposting those here. Whatever floats your boat, but in the least have some manners.

Also, name one corporation that hasn't had to reissue some W-2's. I doubt you can. I understand there are issues (as there are everywhere). However, I hardly find this to be as big of an issue as you're making it out to be.

In regards to the P-card purchases, how is that a reflection on the University as opposed to the individuals who are being investigated? If someone is stealing then it sounds like the University is doing exactly what they should be by digging a little deeper.

You claim to have the inside scoop, but it sounds like your scoop is plagiarized from the AAUP newsletter. Have a blessed day!

posted by Weneedchange on Mar 18, 2012 at 07:17:54 pm     #   3 people liked this

Telling somebody to "STFU" is an excellent way to get your point across. Real classy. Of course, considering RockChick is nothing more than a minion of the AAUP, her inability to be rational isn't surprising.

posted by dell_diva on Mar 18, 2012 at 07:45:17 pm     #   1 person liked this

Rockchick - follow what I am saying about the IRS. When you receive a W2 that you believe to be accurate and file a 1040 based on that, your obligation the the IRS ceases. It does not matter if the W2 turns out to be wrong as long as you find out AFTER you file.

And wow - STFU and have a blessed day directed at me in the same breath. Interesting combination.

posted by MrsArcher on Mar 19, 2012 at 11:37:44 am     #   2 people liked this

Seriously, RockChick: I get the feeling that we frequent posters on TT are kind of like a big family. If you want to vent, that's fine. But listen to Oprah, Dr. Oz, Tony Robinson, Suze Orman or anyone else on this point: feeling continually angry and powerless on a job does not bode well for mental and physical health.

If you have a plan to spearhead a reform movement in your workplace, then hand over some logs and documents to reporters. Start a blog listing all of your proof and the steps you've taken to get the word out. If reporters never call you back, document that on a timeline on your blog. Get yourself lawyered up for protection. You could end up with a book contract and a new career.

The tone of your anti-UT scoops makes it sound like you are pretty distressed about ongoing situations in the administration. Let Great-Aunt Viola give you some advice: either "ovary up" and try to get something changed, or think about finding a new employer so your life is not eaten away by intolerable events that are beyond your control. $0.02 :-)

posted by viola on Mar 19, 2012 at 02:53:33 pm     #

Iím really confused about giving RC a hard time about venting about UT, a public institution. Folks on TT regularly complain about windmills, solar panels, the Post Office, GM, circuses, the Board of Elections, the health department, the Toledo Blade, etc. and they donít get called out or given a hard timeÖ

posted by SensorG on Mar 19, 2012 at 03:43:29 pm     #   5 people liked this

posted by BigWillard on Mar 19, 2012 at 03:50:17 pm     #   1 person liked this

SensorG: I was thinking the same thing. People were foaming at the mouth (and still are) whenever TARTA got mentioned.

posted by MrsPhoenix on Mar 19, 2012 at 04:28:20 pm     #   1 person liked this

And the IRS isn't on witch hunt when it happens...

That's the only part I do not agree with. The IRS is always on a witch hunt. Shoot, if you want any evidence that the evil one is alive and operating on earth, all you need to do is look at the IRS - if that isn't the work of the infernal, I've never seen it before.

Let Great-Aunt Viola...

Great Aunt? Or Great - great Aunt? Or maybe even Great - great - great Aunt?

'scuse me while I see a man about a fresh drink. Gotta run!

posted by madjack on Mar 19, 2012 at 04:39:36 pm     #

wow, rock chick is really venting. Sounds more like a disgruntled ex-employee to me. Everybody makes mistakes. This one just ain't fatal and doesnt deserve the vitriol she be spouting.

posted by rehabilitated on Mar 19, 2012 at 05:08:47 pm     #

"Checking U.T.'s, academic standings since it went union has the exact same gravitational occurrence as a rock in water..."

Data please.

posted by Offshore on Mar 19, 2012 at 07:52:54 pm     #

AAAUP has been at UT for maybe 20+ years. UTs academic standings has nothing to do with the fact that it is unionized. The University has NO standards for enrollment. Combine that with TPS students being allowed to attend ( MANY having a GPA of 1'3 to 1.5 out of 4.0) UT gets $$$$ from the state for these students to attend. It's all about butts in the seats. Most leave after a semester and get zero out of the college experience. It's hard to learn anything while texting or sleeping! Professors are strongly encouraged to pass these "students" so they can come back for another semester so UT can get more $$$.It is very demoralizing for a PhD to have to "dumb down" a class. This has got ZERO to do with UT being unionized! Ask Jacobs and the BOT to explain this. And while your at it ask them why their student retention rate is crap...esp. with black students. Still has got nothing to do with AAUP!! And by the way, I am NOT a professor or a former disgruntled employee of UTMUO...have never worked there.

posted by RockChick on Mar 19, 2012 at 10:50:23 pm     #

That giant sucking sound you hear is RockChick filling the vacuum left by the apparently departed (from TT) wolfman.

Hooray!!! </sarcasm>

posted by RBancroft on Mar 19, 2012 at 11:28:33 pm     #

I'm glad you're picking up the troll slack from the departed Ryan, RBancroft.

RC, you should have stuck with bashing Andrew Z and no one would have said a thing...

posted by SensorG on Mar 20, 2012 at 07:42:59 am     #

I count it as a great strength that UT has an open enrollment policy. Do I think they're the best & brightest, those most likely to succeed, in every major? No, those kids go to Notre Dame or U of Chicago and other places.

Lots of freshmen wash out at other schools. And kids sleep and text through all manner of activities these days, not just their college classes! I'm not defending them ... but it's not exactly UT's fault when unprepared, poorly-focussed kids don't do well in academia.

posted by viola on Mar 20, 2012 at 11:02:02 am     #

"And by the way, I am NOT a professor or a former disgruntled employee of UTMUO...have never worked there."

so, I ask again, where are you getting your information? Please provide solid sources, 'I pay attention' is a slacker non-answer. LOL at UTMUO...wut?

posted by nana on Mar 20, 2012 at 12:15:48 pm     #

Nana, there are lots of people who feel the way RockChick is describing. Most of them are too afraid to speak up, especially this time of year.

posted by valbee on Mar 20, 2012 at 12:47:14 pm     #

UTís a state, single campus, URBAN (get it?)university. Like all state funded schools it relies on head counts and full time enrollments. UT offers developmental courses as well as retention services.

A universityís mission is three fold. Instruction is only a third of them; so are public service and research.

According to the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, among UTís classifications is Graduate Instructional Program: CompDoc/MedVet. It shares that distinction with Harvard, Michigan, OSU and the like.

posted by Offshore on Mar 20, 2012 at 12:49:05 pm     #

I'm not going to give up all my sources. I do appreciate the support from some of you, including those who've said that it is a perfectly appropriate to discuss UT on this website, and those who've confirmed that these sentiments are more common than others suggest.

The University just went through a public accreditation process. You can find lots of information about it, and the ways in which the University is addressing (and importantly, hasn't addressed) many issues I've discussed. Look at these minutes
and this report

More than that, many of the colleges prepare public documents about their own strengths and weaknesses. The weaknesses often last for years and years... look at anything on 'retention rates' and you will see that black males have an incredibly high drop out rate - and that they are admitted with incredibly low GPAs, such as the 1.3 and 1.5 GPAs I've discussed. UT makes a lot of money out of it, but they drop out at something like 75% in the first year. What does UT care? It still gets the state money until they drop out.

There are SO many ways to get this information. I agree, the AAUP website has been one way of getting my information - it is they post public documents available on the web.

Additionally, Jacobs gives "webinars" almost every week - they automatically come up on "MYUT".
Even if you are not a student, faculty member, or staff, they are public speeches, you can see them without logging in... they are on the homepage, because he and Larry Burns are always on, self-promoting. There is a lot of useful information - if you can stand to sit through the self-promotion, self-congratulations, and BS.

There is an organization called the "Faculty Senate" at UT which publishes its newsletters regularly. http://www.utoledo.edu/facsenate/
They have a lot of this info too.

Additionally, you can just get a sense of the changes in the University by looking at their facebook pages (most departments have one) and seeing the changes over time. They post messages about things like losing a Department Secretary... and they never welcome a new one... then you can see through the comments (often backed up by other documents) that they lost that position completely.

You know, what I am doing is what every citizen should be doing for any institution that receives funding from the public purse... they need watchdogs. UT has gone through a lot of changes since Jacobs took over and the vast majority haven't been very good... go do the research yourself, Nana.

As for saying the university's mission is three-fold, Offshore, that is such a cop-out when faculty are teaching more and more classes, and teaching is what people look to UT to do. It is also a dual campus with The Health Sciences Campus.

By the way... you want my name, date of birth, social security number and credit card numbers while you're at it, nana?

posted by RockChick on Mar 20, 2012 at 03:20:32 pm     #

SensorG posted at 07:42:59 AM on Mar 20, 2012:

I'm glad you're picking up the troll slack from the departed Ryan, RBancroft.

Called a troll by an effete, high horse prog...whatever shall I do?

posted by RBancroft on Mar 20, 2012 at 04:01:53 pm     #

Effete? I'm glad you're using the word of the day calendar your mom got you.

posted by SensorG on Mar 20, 2012 at 04:15:17 pm     #   1 person liked this

Thanks for providing further info. I appreciate the time you took to put this info up so we can all see it ... and whoever wants to follow up, can do so.

I think it is appropriate to discuss UT on this site. I look forward to hearing more.

The language of your original post (bunker, screwed, appalling, incompetent, negligence) and your history of referring to other "insider" events made me think that you were letting your quality of life be negatively affected by administrative shenanigans. I was sincere in my hope that you could find a way to calm your spirit.

But, since you are a UT outsider, you should be perfectly free to expose everything without jeopardizing your own position. If you're committed to telling the truth about it, and you cannot be silent because you love the school, and if others report that they've had similar problems there, you are in a really good position to be the Michael Moore of Toledo. Go after them! Put it all on a blog! Really, you could well end up with financial support from advertisers, and a book contract!

posted by viola on Mar 20, 2012 at 04:24:28 pm     #

no, rockchick, I just wanted to know that you're not making anything up, no need to get nasty. You have a pretty big chip on your shoulder for someone who wants other people to believe she's telling the truth. I've never had a problem with anything you've said before, why so defensive? I asked because I've been on the net long enuff to not suffer trolls gladly. Rant on!

posted by nana on Mar 20, 2012 at 04:30:48 pm     #   1 person liked this

Viola, thanks for the support and I assure you that my spirit is in pretty good shape! Nana, what makes my blood boil is your not so subtle suggestion that I am lying. I think that I have every reason to be defensive. Quite frankly, I could care less if you believe me. If you have been reading my other posts for sometime I would think it is obvious that I am not a troll! I have taken the time to provide all of the links and "solid information" as you requested. Any personal sources of information that I have I will not reveal. Anything that is informative and intelligenly written can hardly qualify as a rant.

posted by RockChick on Mar 20, 2012 at 06:05:23 pm     #   1 person liked this