Christmas lights on in March

There is no excuse for it except laziness. It has been phenomenal weather the past weeks and they need to come down or just stop turning them on!

Does anyone else have a neighbor who is just plain LAZY?

created by stooks on Mar 29, 2012 at 09:54:45 am     Home     Comments: 22

I know there are some people who leave the lights up year round. (Especially if the lights are in a place that is difficult to access - high roof peaks, etc.)

However, just leaving the string of lights up vs. actually turning on the lights is a whole different story.

P.S. I guess you could say that I'm the lazy one, because I don't even bother putting up lights at all. LOL

posted by mom2 on Mar 29, 2012 at 09:58:09 am     #

mom2 posted at 09:58:09 AM on Mar 29, 2012:

Ditto!

Don't have the time or energy.

posted by dbw8906 on Mar 29, 2012 at 10:19:48 am     #

Yep, have a neighbor who leaves a Christmas light thing in their front yard year round. Doesn't trim the bushes back and house is always dark. Not even sure who exactly lives there. Maybe:

posted by Ace_Face on Mar 29, 2012 at 10:41:01 am     #

"It has been phenomenal weather the past weeks and they need to come down or just stop turning them on!"

stooks, have you confronted your neighbor and ordered your neighbor to turn the lights off? Maybe start a neighborhood Block Watch or Bulb Watch program.

Some Toledo homeowners are probably wishing that their big concern is only a neighbor displaying decorative lighting in March.

posted by jr on Mar 29, 2012 at 11:04:32 am     #   6 people liked this

I remember when the City of Toledo ordered Rick Grafing to remove the Christmas lights from his Glendale Ave establishment, and he used it as the excuse to close the place down. It may still be illegal to keep Christmas lights up. With as many other city codes which define how we may use our OWN property, it wouldn't surprise me.

posted by justread on Mar 29, 2012 at 11:19:30 am     #   2 people liked this

I really don’t need to confront them…common sense would tell one if you’re going to leave them up year round at least turn them off!! However residing in the area of Toledo that I do, I see a lot of people lacking the common sense. LOL

Maybe they will take em’ down this weekend

posted by stooks on Mar 29, 2012 at 11:21:00 am     #

If they are still turning them on, that would seem to be intentional.

Unless the lights are on an automatic timer that was never adjusted, which really would be lazy!

posted by mom2 on Mar 29, 2012 at 11:56:36 am     #

Exterior lighting is a good crime deterrent. Just saying.

I never put holiday lights up myself.

posted by toledolen_ on Mar 29, 2012 at 12:13:25 pm     #

I've heard of people leaving them on waiting for their service man/woman to come home.

posted by karen on Mar 29, 2012 at 12:47:44 pm     #

ya know what? screw you haters, I left my front porch ones up, re-positioned them actually, and readjusted the timer because I LIKE THEM ON!!!! It's dark here, no street lights, and we have had friends tell us that's the only way they know it's our house. I pay the bills, I decide when the lights go off, and I say NEVER! :)

posted by nana on Mar 29, 2012 at 04:26:39 pm     #   7 people liked this

I actually like the white ones on year round, though I'm not fond of the multi-colored strings (cringes while waiting for someone to call me racist).

In fact, we put them around our deck and under our patio umbrellas because they give just enough light on summer evenings to be cozy...

posted by MaggieThurber on Mar 29, 2012 at 05:44:52 pm     #

i leave them up year round and use them year round... often change the bulbs out to match the colors to the nearest holiday or time of the season.

what an odd thing to get upset about?! maybe i'll put in some festivus bulbs so the airing of greivances can continue.

posted by enjoyeverysandwich on Mar 29, 2012 at 05:56:47 pm     #   1 person liked this

Stooks; Are you really upset about this or did someone pee in your oatmeal? Does it keep you up at night worrying about your neighbors lights? I think it would be great to see your neighbor change all the lights to clear (really eye painful), and decorate the windows with beer signs... Come on Man....

posted by rch101 on Mar 29, 2012 at 06:26:26 pm     #

"maybe i'll put in some festivus bulbs so the airing of greivances can continue."

Good one. I'll donate my Mega Millions winnings to the human fund: "Money for People." The only holiday decorating that I do is setting up our aluminum festivus pole.

posted by jr on Mar 29, 2012 at 06:26:45 pm     #

who won the last feats of strength?

posted by hockeyfan on Mar 29, 2012 at 06:29:35 pm     #   1 person liked this

We have a string of party lights on our big ol' front porch. I love them.

posted by gamegrrl on Mar 29, 2012 at 09:39:44 pm     #

They're great on the camper awning...

posted by rch101 on Mar 29, 2012 at 10:10:10 pm     #

These are Christmas lights on a tree.......

and yes I am upset about it because it makes Toledo look trashy!
We have rope lighting around our Gazebo....they have red and green lights wrapped around a tree!!!!

posted by stooks on Mar 30, 2012 at 11:27:49 am     #

posted by Linecrosser on Mar 30, 2012 at 12:21:15 pm     #

If someone from the city can explain to me what the legal difference is between "Christmas lights" and "party lights" (or just plain old outdoor lighting with a string of small bulbs), I'd love to hear it.

Is it the coloring? No, can't be that, as there are both white and multi colored light strands used at Christmas.

Is it time, place, manner of use? Nighttime? Daytime?

Would it be OK to string an oak tree with lights, but not a pine tree because that denotes "Christmas"?

I'm sorry, stooks, but on the "trashiness" scale a strand of lights on a pine tree is not a rusted out '56 Ford pickup on blocks and a ratty old couch on the front porch. Oops, maybe your neighbors do have those...

posted by oldhometown on Mar 30, 2012 at 03:15:18 pm     #

homie.... I'll have you know my Pap gave me that truck in 1959 and I'm restorin' it... And we're gonna get a case of duck tape and repolster the couch.... Sum day.

posted by rch101 on Mar 30, 2012 at 03:57:21 pm     #

ACtually a 59 ford pickup would be worth money to someone I bet.

posted by Linecrosser on Mar 30, 2012 at 05:24:45 pm     #