Anyplace to Learn Computer Skills?

Does anyone know if there is a place(s)locally, to brush up on computer skills? Many thanks!

created by Wulf on Apr 09, 2012 at 12:29:25 pm     Technology     Comments: 18

I've heard that classes are occasionally offered at the library. That might be a good place to look.

(Of course, it depends on your current skill level vs. what you're hoping to achieve.)

posted by mom2 on Apr 09, 2012 at 12:30:43 pm     #

"Computer Skills" is such a broad category. What are you looking for specifically?

posted by SensorG on Apr 09, 2012 at 12:59:40 pm     #

This article explains some free classes offered through Owens last year...you can check the organizations listed to see if they're doing anything similar in the future.

posted by MaggieThurber on Apr 09, 2012 at 02:04:15 pm     #

Of course there are a lot of geeks right here on TT. If you have questions ....ask! I'm sure you will get a boatload of advice! :)

posted by KraZyKat on Apr 09, 2012 at 02:11:32 pm     #   1 person liked this

Agreed with KrazyKat: lots of help here. Also, I learned more from poking around with programming and software than I ever learned in a class. These days most applications are ridiculously user-friendly.

< old man voice>

Back when I was a boy, learning Fortran and COBOL and BASIC and Lotus 1-2-3, and walked five miles in the snow to get to the nearest computer store...

< / old man voice>

posted by historymike on Apr 09, 2012 at 02:30:23 pm     #   1 person liked this

Old Man Voice #2: I wrote a program in Fortran for my Master's Degree in 1978!!

posted by Star56 on Apr 09, 2012 at 02:42:58 pm     #   1 person liked this

"< old man voice>

< / old man voice>"

HAH!

posted by toledolen_ on Apr 09, 2012 at 02:43:09 pm     #

DOS and VAX/VMS. Those were the days. Color screen consisted of amber or green on a black background. For those color blind you could always switch to high contrast. Black on white!

posted by KraZyKat on Apr 09, 2012 at 04:23:13 pm     #

Punch cards FTW!!!

posted by texlovera on Apr 09, 2012 at 05:09:42 pm     #

Downtown at The Source they have some basic classes I believe, as does the library

posted by WalleyeWinger on Apr 10, 2012 at 12:53:51 am     #

YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN! Back in my day we had to bang two rocks together to get a 1, and zeros hadn't been invented yet! We also tied onions to our loinskins, because that was the fashion back in the day...

posted by anonymouscoward on Apr 10, 2012 at 08:38:05 am     #

My first computer was a TRS-80 with a cassette player to load and save. I also still have my Pong video game I paid $100 for in 1973. My brother bought one of the first calculators a Texas Instruments for $80 back in the day.

posted by OldTimer on Apr 10, 2012 at 10:47:08 am     #

One problem I have, is trying to get the "outlook 6" thingy to work when I try to contact certain sites. Any ideas how to do it?

posted by Wulf on Apr 12, 2012 at 03:11:30 pm     #

DOS and VAX/VMS

DOS wasn't bad, but VAX/VMS was a real nightmare.

Like, for instance, Redtube?

What are you trying to get outlook 6 to do on what site, specifically?

posted by madjack on Apr 12, 2012 at 03:19:05 pm     #

Man this thread makes me nostalgic :) my first PC was a 486 sx/2 33mhz. My current cell phone has more processing power than the first 10 years of my computer experience. Nice how things change.

Back on topic though, agree with checking Owens. Plus if you have specific questions feel free to PM me and I'll try and help.

posted by INeedCoffee on Apr 12, 2012 at 09:21:26 pm     #

My first PC was a 486 dx33, packard bell cost me 1,000.00 for the computer + monitor.

posted by Linecrosser on Apr 12, 2012 at 11:12:28 pm     #

Linecrosser posted at 11:12:28 PM on Apr 12, 2012:

Damn you unto the nether levels of Hell for saying the words P. B.

Those of us who did computer repair/tech support in that era immediately reflexively throw whatever they're holding and start screaming in agony as the repressed memories come flooding back.

You owe me a replacement for my favorite mug, repair for the hole in my wall, and an apology to the neighbors. And a bottle of Scotch to help re-repress those memories.

posted by anonymouscoward on Apr 13, 2012 at 12:28:30 am     #

Maybe you worked on them but how would you have liked to own one or actually spent money on buying one?

posted by Linecrosser on Apr 13, 2012 at 08:13:05 am     #