(courtesy of The Mirror)
The Andersons To Host Shred Day At Maumee And Sylvania Stores
The Andersons will offer electronics recycling and document destruction events on Saturday, April 14 at its Maumee store and on Saturday, April 28 at its Sylvania market.
Hours for both events are from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
The Andersons has partnered with Affinity Information Management, a Sylvania firm that provides secure record retention management and destruction services for businesses, to assist area residents who want to safely and securely destroy personal documents and recycle electronic equipment.
Items being accepted include the following:
• Computers and computer parts, monitors, servers, terminals, laptops, hard drives, keyboards, computer mice, printers, toner and ink, hubs, routers and networking equipment.
• Telephone equipment, cables, cell phones and fax machines.
• VCRs, DVD players, speakers, radios and projectors.
• Electronic games, cameras and typewriters.
• Microwaves, cash registers, time clocks and PDAs.
A $5.00 donation is requested to help defray expenses.
TVs, air conditioners, appliances, paint, fluorescent bulbs and alkaline batteries cannot be accepted.
All of the electronic items collected will be recycled and disposed of in an environmentally responsible manner, keeping them out of landfills.
About 70 percent of the heavy metals found in landfills come from electronic equipment. Each computer contains on average four to eight pounds of lead. Consumer electronics comprise 40 percent of the lead found in landfills.
Other types of electronic items also contain hazardous materials such as cadmium, mercury, hexavalent, chromium, PVC plastic and brominated flame retardants.