Conflict of interest at Menards?

Twice so far at Menards on Airport Highway, I was approached by a young person wearing black clothing, who offered to steer me to the proper department where I could perhaps, find the item I needed to buy. This time it was constuction adhesive (a long tube that goes in a caulking gun). This dude had no idea what I was talking about. But as we walked together, he starts into a spiel about the merits of Direct TV and the horrid, baneful policies of BuckeyeCable System, which, as he stated, is about to slap another rate increase on its subscribers. Thus, he kept on coaxing me to switch to Direct TV and reap the benefit of a lower monthly bill.
When I made it clear that I wasn't interested, he showed me a shelf containing Elmer's glue and then said "Is this what you want"? I replied "Nope", at that point the dude walked away, trolling for more potential suckers.
I finally did find the contruction adhesive, it was only a couple aisles away.

created by flinty on Apr 13, 2012 at 08:07:48 pm     Business     Comments: 12

...the DirecTV drones........they're everywhere.......

I was approached by one at Best Buy on Monroe but thought nothing of it - I'd expect to find them there - but Minard's???

posted by Foodie on Apr 13, 2012 at 08:26:23 pm     #

I would have bitched to the manager.

posted by jhop on Apr 13, 2012 at 08:36:55 pm     #

Yea they have a booth set up there. DirectTV is the scourge of the earth.

posted by slowsol on Apr 13, 2012 at 09:23:37 pm     #

Definitely call back the Menard's store and complain, flinty. The DirectTV douchebags sales agents are supposed to stay at their kiosk and be unobtrusive, and the assclown overzealous individual you encountered is hurting the store's business.

posted by historymike on Apr 13, 2012 at 09:45:28 pm     #   2 people liked this

About every other visit to Best Buy I get the run down from Direct TV reps. Though my answer tends to shut them up every time

"Sorry I don't have cable I just use Netflix"

On several occasions they've told me that's common.

posted by INeedCoffee on Apr 14, 2012 at 01:08:22 am     #

I just love messing with the DirecTV guys at Best Buy. Bwahahahahaha!

posted by gamegrrl on Apr 14, 2012 at 02:14:40 am     #

Menard's in Oregon had same thing last week. Someone trolling the store wanted to make sure we were aware of the Direct TV in-store promotion.Told him to back under his rock.

posted by Hoops on Apr 14, 2012 at 08:02:22 am     #

You would think a company like Menardís would be very cognoscente of the in store shopping experience. To have sales people running around in their stores pushing other products, degrades their brand. Poor decision by corporate to let loose a group of dime a dozen pushy sales people.

posted by Molsonator on Apr 14, 2012 at 08:17:20 am     #

Same situation at Alexis Road store this afternoon.

posted by wahhutch9 on Apr 17, 2012 at 03:30:12 pm     #

Molson, you're speaking as if Menardís actually has a brand worth protecting.

;)

posted by toledolen_ on Apr 17, 2012 at 04:55:08 pm     #

Does anybody know if a store that allows this gets any kind of benefit? Do they get a cut of the sales that are generated? A few months ago, I experienced the same kind of thing in Meijer. One of those window/roof/siding home improvement places had two salesmen positioned in the store. One in the grocery section and one in the pharmacy. I was stopped by both of them. They had clipboards with forms on them and if you agreed to let them come into your house for a free estimate, you are entered to win a total home makeover. I just told them that I rent and that got them off my back. However, I saw them hassling an old man who looked to be about 90 and could barely walk. They were taking his information. I just don't know why a reputable company like Meijer or Menards would allow that unless there is a monetary benefit.

posted by dell_diva on Apr 17, 2012 at 05:27:11 pm     #

dell_diva: yes, the marketing company pays a fee to set up shop in these retail stores.

posted by historymike on Apr 17, 2012 at 06:31:35 pm     #