Who painted the Hi-Level tower??

Just came back from a meeting at UTMC, I never go across the AWB anymore, and I just noticed someone seems to have tagged the top of the East Side tower. That's ballsy, even for a tagger!!!

created by nana on Apr 18, 2012 at 03:32:36 pm     Other     Comments: 16

A lot of these so-called "artists" ought to be forced to clean up property they've "tagged" with their gang-logo feces...using only their tongue.

Saliva probably dissolves dried paint after a while...

posted by oldhometown on Apr 18, 2012 at 04:56:55 pm     #   1 person liked this

oldhometown posted at 04:56:55 PM on Apr 18, 2012:

Saliva probably dissolves dried paint after a while...

... yeah, except too many of them were already licking lead paint before they started "tagging".

posted by anonymouscoward on Apr 18, 2012 at 05:55:30 pm     #

When I was with the Public Defender's office back in the 90s, I represented a guy who climbed one of the cables and stood on top of one of the huge lighting fixtures on the top of one of the piers of the Hi-Level Bridge. The cops on the case said he was the first person ever to do that.

posted by JohnnyMac on Apr 18, 2012 at 09:20:07 pm     #

I've seen a couple road signs "tagged" from behind, those huge green ones that are above the interstate. Always wondered how they managed to get up there, let alone stay and paint.

posted by INeedCoffee on Apr 18, 2012 at 09:34:11 pm     #

Noticed going the other way tonight, they got both sides. Those 'guards' they installed years ago on the cables must be totally useless. At least it wasn't a jumper!

posted by nana on Apr 18, 2012 at 11:47:59 pm     #

Natural Selection may have the last word yet.

posted by justread on Apr 19, 2012 at 06:37:05 am     #   1 person liked this

Was Mike Ferner seen in the area?

posted by shamrock44 on Apr 19, 2012 at 08:47:37 am     #

shamrock44 posted at 08:47:37 AM on Apr 19, 2012:

Was Mike Ferner seen in the area?

At least he had a coherent message, as opposed to putting up his "tag" as adolescent dick-waving.

I'd rather see "Exit Through The Gift Shop" street art like the cats on the building at Lagrange and Summit than the gang-sign tags. Too bad we can't turn the gang war into an art war.

posted by anonymouscoward on Apr 19, 2012 at 09:56:49 am     #

to that point
it should be noted that when legit murals go up, vandalism tends to go down.

posted by upso on Apr 19, 2012 at 10:02:44 am     #   1 person liked this

AC & upso: I liked "Exit Through The Gift Shop" and I have no problems with legitimate, beautiful murals. A lot of that stuff is very creative and adds something beautiful to a former grey space.

But what pisses me off to no end are people defending gang graffiti and gang taggers as "street artists". Bull. Shit. "Tags" are nothing more than a dog pissing on a light pole to mark territory.

I also find that whenever I see someone defending these "utes", it's usually a person who isn't personally affected by all this fabulous "art"...but would scream holy-hell-bloody-murder-and-rage if they woke up and found their garage sidewall in Nice Community, USA, had been used as a canvas for gang "art". But if it's other people's property (especially in the "inner city"), then that's perfectly OK.

posted by oldhometown on Apr 19, 2012 at 11:06:55 am     #   9 people liked this

oldhometown posted at 11:06:55 AM on Apr 19, 2012:

Too bad there's probably all sorts of red tape that keeps, say, the sound walls along the interstates (particularly the Greenbelt/280 area that got tagged) from being painted. Hell, they could auction off segments for painting, subject to design approval. I know some art student types who (if they weren't starving art students) would spring $50-100 for a wall on top of paint if they'd allow it. The only problem is TPD would have to step up patrolling and enforcement... oh wait, how about they just put up a camera or two on the wall, and pass a bill that mandates extra big fine and jail time for vandalizing it. Hmmm.

posted by anonymouscoward on Apr 19, 2012 at 11:21:10 am     #

anonymouscoward posted at 11:21:10 AM on Apr 19, 2012:
oldhometown posted at 11:06:55 AM on Apr 19, 2012:

You would have every city activist on their soap box and front page of the Blade screaming that the city has created a law that "unfairly targets youths and minorities" and that no whites where prosecuted under this law.

posted by dbw8906 on Apr 19, 2012 at 11:36:53 am     #

Actually I don't this ODOT is opposed to public art. I know the arts commission has worked on a few projects with them. Take a look at the beautiful murals under the 75 overpass on broadway

posted by upso on Apr 19, 2012 at 11:46:50 am     #

So, I wonder which of the 2,500 gang members from which of our 25 gangs was responsible for this criminal act?

posted by texlovera on Apr 19, 2012 at 01:24:21 pm     #   1 person liked this

Just drove over it and looked. Ballsy.

posted by JohnnyMac on Apr 19, 2012 at 05:08:59 pm     #

JohnnyMac posted at 05:08:59 PM on Apr 19, 2012:

Just drove over it and looked. Ballsy.

One does wonder how someone managed to climb up there with such huge brass ones, yes.

posted by anonymouscoward on Apr 19, 2012 at 06:12:54 pm     #