Seeking Professional Resume Writer.

Someone (think multiple) people once recommended a lady who will give your resume a face lift. Since I'm testing the job waters, I'd like to get some professional help. My current resume is based on a template I found in college around 1996.

I'm also not applying for entry level or even mid-level positions anymore, so I want my resume to reflect it.

Thanks TT, think it might have been SeniorG after seeing Jr's post in the Jobs thread.

created by INeedCoffee on May 30, 2012 at 08:08:51 pm     Business     Comments: 24

INC - I used Deb James

If I remember it cost about $300 about 4 years ago. She did a great job and still get few inquires from my 4 year old posting on Monster a month.

posted by SensorG on May 30, 2012 at 09:07:07 pm     #   1 person liked this

Nice, but a bit high. I don't even have a degree, so not sure if that bottleneck will drown it no matter how nice it's written. Will contact her though. Appreciate the quick reply.

posted by INeedCoffee on May 30, 2012 at 09:25:11 pm     #

What's the old phrase "Have to spend money to make money"? :)

posted by INeedCoffee on May 30, 2012 at 09:32:05 pm     #   1 person liked this

I wouldn't worry about the degree... Experience speaks louder.

Check your micro blog...

posted by SensorG on May 30, 2012 at 09:47:38 pm     #

What field are you in? IT?

posted by odnation on May 30, 2012 at 10:50:57 pm     #

Primarily, but my current position has me doing everything that consumes electricity. From servers to desktops, to custom made PBX and surveillance systems. All made in house from bare metal (except VoIP phones) maintained, configured, setup, replacement, etc.

It's funny my official job description is 2 pages long of just topics. Not full blown descriptions just couple word topics that would describe a single position at a bigger company.

I'm a 1-man IT, phone, and security department for 5 centers and growing.

posted by INeedCoffee on May 30, 2012 at 11:53:26 pm     #

The best thing to do for an IT resume is to list your accomplishments. For example, on my resume one of my accomplishments is...

Virtualized twenty-two physical servers into a HA VMware ESXi vCenter cluster. Virtualizing eliminated over 3000 feet of networking cable and 42 C13 power connecters and had an annual cost savings of $20,000 in electricity and $32,000 in server and storage contracts

Have a branding statement... then your professional experience with key accomplishments listed... then your qualifications and finally your education/certifications

posted by odnation on May 31, 2012 at 08:55:19 am     #   2 people liked this

INC, i don't know if you remember the name of the company that i messaged you about, but you may want to look at them if you are inclined to commute a bit. Just wanted to remind you in case you forgot 8-)

posted by tm2 on May 31, 2012 at 08:56:43 am     #

I'm a 1-man IT, phone, and security department for 5 centers and growing.

Save your bread. If you really think you need help with your resume, I'll help you out. Failing that, see if you can get two or three of the more reliable (read: obviously sane and erudite) users on ToledoTalk to look at it and give you a few ideas. Don't be surprised if they come back with very few changes.

Off the top of my head, I'd suggest Maggie Thurber, Holland, HistoryMike, McCaskey, SensorG, Viola, OldHomeTown, Jimavolt and JR. All these people can write and I think all of them have been in management, so they've had to do the hiring. Make sure you include a cover letter along with the resume that they can see and critique. You might also include a reason that you're leaving your current company. And not because the boss is a real dick with the IQ of a fencepost.

Frankly, the sentence I quoted at the top of this post is enough to make me give you an interview. You've been dealing with five centers, hence five crews and their various quirks, demands and idiosyncrasies, which is enough to put you on the short list.

posted by madjack on May 31, 2012 at 09:01:09 am     #   1 person liked this

I'm happy to help. sensorg[at]yahoo.com

posted by SensorG on May 31, 2012 at 09:23:50 am     #   1 person liked this

Wow lots of love on TT. Thanks everyone, between this and facebook I'm getting a lot of leads, information, and recommendations.

Appreciate and hope to reciprocate someday.

posted by INeedCoffee on May 31, 2012 at 06:36:21 pm     #

I used Deb James a long time ago. She did an AWESOME job and the investment was worth every penny. I landed a job making twice as much as the one I left. Good investment IMO. When writing now, I couldn't even imagine how things have changes with ATS tracking systems that search for keywords. Deb created a fantastic summary of mine and a good branding statement. I remember, it was more about achievements than anything because that is what employers want to see. I think she is in the phone book. Located in Rossford. Good choice.

posted by wendy on May 31, 2012 at 07:15:43 pm     #   1 person liked this

She is in the phone book. I just found her business card. Leading Edge Resumes. Her website is www.leadingedgeresumes.com and her phone # is (419) 666-4518. HTH

posted by wendy on May 31, 2012 at 07:18:28 pm     #   1 person liked this

wendy posted at 08:18:28 PM on May 31, 2012:

Same person that SensorG mentioned above.

posted by jr on May 31, 2012 at 07:36:36 pm     #   1 person liked this

Re-reading threads on cost of a resume. Yes, it's a bit expensive, but if you don't know how to put all of the right components together you can't afford not to have someone help you who knows how to do it. It was honestly the best investment I have ever made. AND, it paid for itself.

posted by wendy on Jun 03, 2012 at 07:31:27 am     #

INC, i just seen this posted and thought i would share it with you, in case you were still looking.

CITY OF PERRYSBURG
Software Specialist
(30 hours per week)
This position requires a minimum of a Bachelorís Degree
in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent
experience. Experience in GIS or Information Technology,
including software support, software design, database
management preferred. Ability to assess needs of
divisions and implement solutions supporting goals of
Information Technology
This position is 30 hours a week, $25 per hour includes
a limited benefit package. Application available on line
at www.ci.perrysburg.oh.us under the Human Resources
tab. Applications must be received no later than July 20.
Detailed resume must be attached to the application.
Please direct all applications to: City of Perrysburg HR
Office, 201 W. Indiana Ave., Perrysburg, Ohio 43551.
Due to the nature of the public records law of Ohio, applications
cannot be considered confidential

posted by tm2 on Jul 05, 2012 at 11:42:45 am     #   1 person liked this

Probably too little too late but I have a friend that does editing of all kinds on the side. Here's the website if anyone is interested:

posted by idinspired on Jul 05, 2012 at 02:56:58 pm     #

madjack: sent you a PM here.

posted by INeedCoffee on Jul 06, 2012 at 11:47:40 pm     #

tm2: thanks very much for the info... goes to show there really are A LOT of jobs out there but hidden in the dark web. Still haven't had my resume polished. Had hoped to save $$ since original post but alas I haven't. Seriously contemplating the post mentioning ppl "looking it over".

My resume is mostly a job history very little "what I know". Honestly I have no idea how to make a concise limit of what I've learned over the past 16 years. Heck in just the past 4 years I've learned how to be a "Manager of Information Systems" which handles, all health coverage/insurance systems, + computer + VoIP, +custom programming + ... nvm again my current job just topics is 2 pages.

16 years is a lot to push down on paper, and alas I have poor writing skills to make it sound good.

If anyone honestly in their great hearts is willing to help me, PM me here I check TT daily. I'll PM you my personal email addy or just send you my resume and you'll have my PM email address.

Alas so far I lost a Fortune 1k job, not sure if it was my skills, or craptasic resume lol

posted by INeedCoffee on Jul 06, 2012 at 11:53:40 pm     #

tm2: I did get your PM and at this point despite wanting to migrate to MI I might consider that as a viable option.

posted by INeedCoffee on Jul 06, 2012 at 11:54:36 pm     #

INC, I see that both BGSU and Owens Community College are looking for computer people. Good luck!

posted by OnePlainPerson on Jul 07, 2012 at 01:06:05 pm     #

16 years is a lot to push down on paper...

That can be relative. If you spent 16 years maintaining ancient Cobol code and JCL streams, that's one thing. On the other side of the poker chip, if you spent 16 years scrambling around a large corporation doing maintenance, development and troubleshooting on multiple platforms with divergent hardware, including proprietary hardware with limited documentation and no phone support in sight and you have a lunchbox covered in gold stars to prove it - write a paragraph sort of like that and tailor your resume to the job you're applying for. Your goal is to get past the bed-wetting control freaks in the personnel department and in front of the person doing the hiring.

I've had my resume rewritten twice, and both times my resume got returned with a suggestion that I rewrite it so it appeals to a different audience. Or a better audience. Or a different audience. I'm not saying it doesn't work for everyone, it just didn't work for me.

All that being the case, if you have real tech skills your goal is to get past the personnel dept. and get an interview with the tech. supervisor.

posted by madjack on Jul 07, 2012 at 04:13:37 pm     #   2 people liked this

Madjack raises an important point: the resume is just a piece of paper (or several pieces of paper). The people doing the hiring are not going to spend a lot of time reading the blasted thing, and it is your experience and job interview that will be the difference makers.

A couple of resume pointers:

• Proofread that document thoroughly. Nothing says "I am an incompetent tool who should never be hired for fry cook, let alone an important job in this organization" like typographical, spelling, or grammatical mistakes in a resume.
  • Keep it simple. Do not mess around with cutesy graphics, Word Art, or any other goofy/trendy tricks like inserting your photograph in the resume. In fact, there is something beautiful in resumes with a fair amount of empty blank spaces.
  • Avoid a lot of paragraphs. In fact, get rid of anything that looks like paragraphs. People who have to read a lot of resumes will appreciate an easy-to-read and succinct resume in a stack of resumes filled with overblown and pretentious drivel. Less, as they say, is often more.

Here is a sample of the resume I designed for myself almost 10 years ago from a stock MS-Word template. I have been hired at least seven times (lots of part-time work, plus one full-time gig) using the same perfunctory-but-concise template. Every decent job I landed with this resume, though, had more to do with my skills, experience, or connections than with some CV or resume magic.

posted by historymike on Jul 07, 2012 at 05:16:35 pm     #   1 person liked this