Any places to dance around here?

My 35 yr old dotter has a hankering to go some place and dance with her man, but we both are out of touch with The Scene. Are there places for youngish people to go dancing anymore? Thanks!

created by nana on Oct 04, 2012 at 10:01:38 pm     Entertainment     Comments: 21

... what sort of music?

posted by anonymouscoward on Oct 04, 2012 at 10:13:45 pm     #   1 person liked this

My 2 cents worth: the kind of social dancing that couples used to do in public has morphed into two different things: 1) Zumba fitness and similar workout routines that use disco beat/club music and dance moves for exercise, and 2) country bars with a dance floor.

I've been curious about the clubs my college acquaintances go to, but I haven't gone because the music is not to my taste and no one dances together (unless they are grinding in simulated sexual congress). Plus the action doesn't get started until at least 11 p.m.

Your daughter might want to check out The Omni or Club Soda. Disclaimer: I'm totally guessing here!

posted by viola on Oct 05, 2012 at 09:19:07 am     #

What AC said. What kind of music are you looking for?

Given the usual answer (well, like, I don't know... just, like, music, like you know?) I think The Distillery has a dance floor.

posted by madjack on Oct 05, 2012 at 10:58:24 am     #

If your daughter is 35, she would not feel out of place at Distillery. They cater to a wide range of ages and have bands on the weekends and a dj thursday-saturday. I've been there plenty and grind dancing is totally optional.

I haven't been to Club Soda in several years, but it used to be known as a night spot for the slightly older crowd, hence giving it something of a reputation as a cougar den. Maybe call first to see if it's still open.

The three nightclubs by UT (Ale House, Omni, Chasers) draw mainly from the 18-25 crowd because they are right next to campus. As a former dj and someone who's in his early 30s, I drop into Omni a few times a year just to check out the scene. It's the biggest and probably one of the nicer clubs in town that's still open. Previous owners have spent a good bit of money on renovations.

There are a couple clubs on S Reynolds (Asteria, Evolution) and one on Alexis (South Beach) that appear to be more urban-oriented.

As recently as 2009, downtown had five dance clubs (Avalon, Eclipse, Dirty Martini, Plush, Pub St George) but those either closed or changed formats.

Bigger cities have nightclubs that cater to all age ranges and tastes. In Toledo, there is somewhat of a condensed selection, so I would recommend checking out what's available and finding something you like.

posted by mixman on Oct 05, 2012 at 03:59:52 pm     #

I've danced with madjack. He's quite the dancer.

posted by bobo on Oct 05, 2012 at 06:12:42 pm     #

lolz, thanks, guys. I'm not sure what kind of music, but I'll give her your info, mixman, I had no idea there were that many places till left out there! :) <3

posted by nana on Oct 05, 2012 at 10:04:30 pm     #

bumping this up

posted by viola on Jan 25, 2013 at 09:11:44 pm     #

you don't want to see me dancing

posted by upso on Jan 25, 2013 at 09:37:51 pm     #

@Upso: are you that bad? If so wouldn't it be good? since it would be a good laugh.

posted by EvilFoodie on Jan 26, 2013 at 02:01:55 am     #

Oh, I don't know Upso. You might make the rest of the people feel better about themselves or something.

posted by madjack on Jan 26, 2013 at 10:22:31 am     #   1 person liked this

Can't help but read madjack' s last sentence w/the voice of Pedro from Napoleon Dynamite in my head.

posted by Deho on Jan 26, 2013 at 10:56:09 am     #

UPSOoooo

posted by justareviewer on Jan 26, 2013 at 11:31:58 am     #

A quick update on local spots... Omni is closed, Ale House closed and reopened as The Library. Zodiac (S. Byrne) reopened last fall and is now Rocket Bar.

Star Bar (Monroe St, Sylvania) has djs several nights a week, as does Yeehas (Navarre Ave, Oregon).

posted by mixman on Jan 28, 2013 at 05:59:03 am     #

"Sweet fancy Moses."

posted by historymike on Jan 28, 2013 at 10:14:52 am     #   1 person liked this

I hear The Faba is a good place to go.

posted by BulldogBuckeye on Jan 28, 2013 at 01:59:41 pm     #

Star Bar is more of a chill spot. Don't know about dancing there.

posted by EvilFoodie on Jan 28, 2013 at 09:32:44 pm     #

hahaha, yer dating yourself, BB, lol, the Faba. How about the Peppermint Lounge? lol

posted by nana on Jan 28, 2013 at 11:33:48 pm     #   1 person liked this

I was wondering if the casino has a dance floor/ DJ lounge. It seems like it would be a good fit for (older) people who occasionally want to go out and dance to familiar music. :-)

posted by viola on Jan 29, 2013 at 07:23:24 am     #

all kidding aside....a great place for dancing is Hollywood Casino. Seriously. Top notch bands, most of which you won't find elsewhere in Toledo. Good DJing fills when a band isn't playing. Sure drinks are expensive....but then again, you're in one of the coolest places in Toledo.

posted by BulldogBuckeye on Jan 29, 2013 at 12:38:51 pm     #

Deho posted at 09:56:09 AM on Jan 26, 2013:

¿Quién es Pedro Mi nombre es Dinero Grande. Algunos me llaman 'Pistolero Grande'.

posted by madjack on Jan 29, 2013 at 07:23:28 pm     #

If you are into the big band sound or swing,every Tuesday night Trotters on Heatherdowns has a live band and a nice dance floor.The crowd on Tuesday tends to be older,but I have seen some younger people in there that night.The village Idiot in Maumee also has dancing and has a variety of different types of music throughout the week.

posted by buckeye278 on Jan 30, 2013 at 04:49:59 pm     #