Kudos to League City, Texas

Some folks DO understand the value of soft infrastructure. This is a triumph.

created by holland on Oct 15, 2012 at 12:19:35 pm     Politics     Comments: 15

It's easy to "value" (meaning spend money to save) the things that you can afford to save.

League City Texas is flush with cash, and experienced great growth in the last few years, slowing to a 2% growth rate throughout the recession and into the recovery. They benefit from the greater Houston economy.
Their biggest threat, according to their own documents is the growing and irresponsible federal deficit, caused, ironically by those who value "soft infrastructure" that we can't afford.
League City Texas, and Toledo Ohio are not comparables.

posted by justread on Oct 15, 2012 at 12:46:21 pm     #

If we can save just one tree.

posted by justread on Oct 15, 2012 at 12:52:46 pm     #

Hmmm.

posted by justread on Oct 15, 2012 at 12:54:07 pm     #

This type of response was not unexpected. There will be more I'm sure. Some people have to put everything in quantifiable, monetary terms. Some people are completely unable to understand how great a thing like this is.

I hope others will enjoy the success. Its really nice.

posted by holland on Oct 15, 2012 at 01:02:47 pm     #

I thought this was great triumph for that majestic tree.

posted by jackie on Oct 15, 2012 at 02:10:10 pm     #

Great video holland.

posted by SensorG on Oct 15, 2012 at 02:41:04 pm     #

holland posted at 01:02:47 PM on Oct 15, 2012:

I hope others will enjoy the success. Its really nice.

When you mentioned that some people DO value "soft infrastructure" (your exact term on the levy thread) it tied back to your points made on the levy thread, and made the actual paying for "soft infrastructure" directly relevant.
Therefore, I made the point that saving one tree is a luxury that League City can afford, but few cities can.
Some people are completely unable to understand that everything has a cost, and the ability to carry that cost is not directly proportional to the ability to drean utopian dreams.

posted by justread on Oct 15, 2012 at 03:23:02 pm     #

On the flip side, justread, you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. Sometimes a tree is more than a large biological structure that derives its energy by photosynthesis. I do not know the history of the tree, but it is fairly clear based upon the lengths the city went to that it has a great deal of significance to the town. Letting it be bulldozed to make way for the road expansion would probably not have had a catastrophic impact, but towns and people more often die by a thousand cuts rather than a mortal blow.

I understand the economics of the time. Still, You have to protect the heart and soul of a place or risk going even further down the path to Detroit.

posted by MoreThanRhetoric on Oct 15, 2012 at 04:02:30 pm     #

And who ran Detroit into the ground?

posted by Linecrosser on Oct 15, 2012 at 04:08:44 pm     #

Holland, you just need to define ‘soft infrastructure’ as boat lunches and dredged marinas and then it’s all good.

posted by SensorG on Oct 15, 2012 at 04:14:27 pm     #

launches even…

posted by SensorG on Oct 15, 2012 at 04:15:47 pm     #

I think it was Spongebob. What in the world is your point?

posted by MoreThanRhetoric on Oct 15, 2012 at 04:28:23 pm     #

MoreThanRhetoric posted at 04:02:30 PM on Oct 15, 2012:

No question.

My point was in regard to the dynamic of "some people value soft infrastructure." And that point was: It's great when you can afford it, and few cities can.

The difference between Toledo and League City, in other words, is not the quantity of people who value this, or value that... it is a difference in financial capacity.

posted by justread on Oct 15, 2012 at 05:30:11 pm     #

MoreThanRhetoric posted at 04:28:23 PM on Oct 15, 2012:

I think it was Spongebob. What in the world is your point?

That was a jab at me due to a past comment that let the poster know that my boating hobby was not supported by taxes, rather my boating hobby creates new and unique fees and costs that only I bear.

I'll admit, it does get hard to follow when the pokes are personal.

posted by justread on Oct 15, 2012 at 05:32:45 pm     #

??? I like boating, not sure if that was directed at me or not.

posted by Linecrosser on Oct 16, 2012 at 11:31:40 am     #