Pburg transit and schools

So it wasn't really about TARTA being inefficient was it?

30% increase over 3 years for the school levy, ouch.

created by MrGlass419 on Nov 08, 2012 at 12:17:05 am     Local-Politics     Comments: 11

A friend of mine from PBurg is livid over this school levy and the amount of $$$ it will cost him in the coming years

posted by Hoops on Nov 08, 2012 at 08:39:28 am     #

I'd tell your friend that he can leave the city then. The excellent schools are why the city is desirable to live in. In fact, Toledo just voted down the levy, should be many nice affordable houses up there.

I voted yes on the levy, and will continue to as long as the district performs as it has.

posted by MattL on Nov 08, 2012 at 01:52:25 pm     #   2 people liked this

Its not that the school system is inferior, but at what cost to maintain the standard. Pburg schools have a solid reputation, but just like many other school districts struggle to sustain economic propserity.

posted by Hoops on Nov 08, 2012 at 02:08:10 pm     #

Hoops, please direct your friend to the links. It breaks down the school systems and their cost per pupil....I think this is the way to judge the districts on how well they use their money.

posted by MattL on Nov 08, 2012 at 03:12:06 pm     #

Matt nice link but the new information would be:

Voters are being asked to approve an estimated 13.15 mills that would generate $10 million in the first year. The tax would increase to 14.4 mills in the second year, to 15.7 mills in the third year, and to 17 mills in the final fourth year. The owner of a home valued at $200,000 would pay about $204 more the first year, then about $72 more a year the next three years. Under the current 9.95-mill levy, set to expire at the end of 2012, the owner of a $200,000 home pays about $609 a year.

End result is 9.95 mills will be 17 mills. That is actually a 70.8% increase on the specific levy. The schools are great, but the costs are going to continue to escalate with the build up in apartments. The methodology we use to fund education is broken.

posted by MrGlass419 on Nov 08, 2012 at 03:54:21 pm     #

Going back to the original purpose for the thread...

posted by MoreThanRhetoric on Nov 08, 2012 at 04:24:26 pm     #   1 person liked this

This makes me glad that the proposal to withdraw from TARTA was defeated in Sylvania Township.

I'd be on board with more cost-effective public transportation in Sylvania Twp, but I wasn't comfortable with pulling out of TARTA without having an idea of what we'd replace it with.

posted by mom2 on Nov 08, 2012 at 05:00:42 pm     #

MoreThanRhetoric said "

I found a quote from the article telling. One of the residents interviewed said that this vote "created an isolated community" which confused him. I think that is exactly the point. The majority of Perrysburgers want to keep out the type of people who ride public transportation."

I think you are dead wrong on that assumption. Living here and discussing the issue with many people, I hear almost without fail that the reason people wanted out of TARTA was because the TARTA service provided to Perrysburg residents wasn't worth the tax we were paying. Minimal usage.

The issue on the ballot for the new service came very close to passage. Jumping to the assumption though that we want to keep people out is simplistic, wrong and quite unfair. It appears as though the particular company that would have been hired just wasn't acceptable to the majority of voters. It just means we go back to the drawing board for a better solution.

BTW if TARTA ran more efficiently with a more realistic cost to the outlying areas, we wouldn't have the controversy. They structured the fees so that the suburbs pay way more than their fair share for the service they are actually provided.

posted by shamrock44 on Nov 09, 2012 at 11:33:42 am     #

I've lived in Pburg for most of my life, except for college and then 8 years living in west Toledo. I can honestly say I've never known anyone in the burg who has rode Tarta, or needed the public transportation.

I will go out on a limb and assume most people are like myself. I don't think very many perrysburg residents use the service and that's why it didn't pass.

posted by MattL on Nov 09, 2012 at 01:41:36 pm     #

I didn't think this was about TARTA...Isn't TARTA gone? I thought you voted on a smaller/cheaper version centric to P-Burg.

posted by SensorG on Nov 09, 2012 at 02:14:01 pm     #

Yes it wasn't about Tarta, but my point was not Tarta in particular, but public transportation. I just said Tarta because that's all we've had to use in the past.

posted by MattL on Nov 09, 2012 at 02:16:21 pm     #