What happened to Monette's??

Wow has their quality gone down! When they first opened in Sylvania they were fantastic. Right before they shut down I noticed a severe decline in their quality (i.e. rotten zucchini's for $.99 a box). No surprise that this location shut down, but today I went to the Reynold's road location and had to put back half of my items because they were rotted or severely bruised- I don't mind a little imperfections but this was just unacceptable.

Were else can one go to for good produce not from a big box store?

created by MrsA on Nov 16, 2012 at 05:30:32 pm     Food     Comments: 11

The one on Glendale and Eastgate is excellent. We go there a couple times a week. Never had a problem.

posted by Molsonator on Nov 16, 2012 at 05:50:18 pm     #   2 people liked this

Ciolino's just across the state line - amazing selection and very low prices.

posted by viola on Nov 16, 2012 at 06:55:59 pm     #   1 person liked this

Locally, The Anderson's actually has the best produce. I've heard that they're the only ones at the Eastern Market in Detroit at 4 am every day buying the first tier produce. The other grocers (chains) aren't as nimble. Monnette's, I guess, also goes up to Detroit, but is smaller and buys on deals over quality. That said, sometimes they have some really nice stuff and it's better than most chains.

posted by ahmahler on Nov 18, 2012 at 09:57:49 am     #

Another vote for the Anderson's! We've been buying our produce there for many years, and are never disappointed.
They also have their own bakery, and the bread and cakes
are wonderful too.

posted by CatLady on Nov 18, 2012 at 11:13:24 am     #

Not the Northwood Andersons anymore.

posted by karen on Nov 19, 2012 at 11:17:19 am     #

I second Molsonator's post. We go to the Eastgate/Glendale store at least twice a week, and have never had a bad experience with the quality of any of their products.

posted by papajoe21 on Dec 27, 2012 at 02:43:09 pm     #

Just before the Monettes in Sylvania closed, they received a health department report that was downright disgusting. The Monette family has been in the retail produce business for many years so you'd think they should've known what the heck they were doing. I don't know why they let such a potential gold mine go down the drain. They never seemed to lack for customers. Not sure if it was laziness or arrogance or what that brought them down. It's not like they took over an old worn out building, they started with a brand new store in a great location. As far as I'm concerned, all the local produce outlets are lacking in something, whether it's price, selection or quality.

posted by nighthawk83 on Jan 21, 2013 at 11:29:01 pm     #

nighthawk83 - I have to agree with your assesment. Having been an independant business owner for 35 yrs. (now retired from that business) I always patronize the independants. I loved Monettes. I still get their deli stuff. But produce? Not anymore. Their stuff looks pretty beat up and a rotten onion or two seemed to be present in every bag. The last straw was the brussels sprouts. As I cleaned them up in preparation for cooking, I found that they had insect eggs layed under the leaves at least 1/3 of the way down inside the sprout. Its clear they are not purchasing the highest grade produce from their suppliers. I now go to Chruchill's or .....shudder.....Meijers. Huge difference in the quality and the selection. Sure, the prices are higher, but that's off set by not having to trim excesively or throw rotten stuff away.

I just pray they've learned their lesson and keep the deli at the Reynold's store up to health department standards.

posted by holland on Jan 22, 2013 at 04:02:46 pm     #

Andersons to stay local or "The Fresh Market".

posted by INeedCoffee on Jan 22, 2013 at 10:28:55 pm     #

You can still find some locally grown produce at the downtown Toledo Farmers Market during the winter on Saturday mornings.

posted by jr on Jan 22, 2013 at 11:35:52 pm     #

Never had any problems with Monette's on N. Reynolds. It's one block south of Schmucker's Restaurant.

posted by flinty on Jan 23, 2013 at 12:41:33 am     #