Place to buy flooring in Toledo?

Thinking about pulling up the carpet in the dining room and replacing it with something hard... We've got some friends who got a laminate that looks amazing, and very much like wood. Cant get a recommendation from them because they're out of state.

Anyone out here on TT know of a good place to get flooring? Looking for the best bang for the buck. Work is crazy so I'd have to have someone do it for me rather than doing it myself.

created by billy on Nov 23, 2012 at 08:44:27 am     Home     Comments: 21

When we put down laminate in the kitchen, we got ours at Andersons. Good variety to choose from and they actually knew what they were talking about.

posted by Ace_Face on Nov 23, 2012 at 09:15:39 am     #

Harms Flooring

They recently put in a new laminate floor in the Seasons Gift Shop at Toledo Botanical Garden. The workmanship was impressive.

posted by holland on Nov 23, 2012 at 09:23:29 am     #

I have bought flooring from the Andersons and the big box stores. I've always liked the flooring at Lumber Liquidators, I've just never bought from there.

As far as installation, I'm not sure. I've always installed myself, but I know most of those places have installation crews they sub it out to. I would expect to pay between $1.25-$2.00 sf for installation. Extra for quarter round or floor prep.

posted by slowsol on Nov 23, 2012 at 10:42:47 am     #

I would go see Dave Carter at Carter Carpet, they are in Michigan on Lewis Avenue. Great product, great service. I've used them before and would do so again.

posted by MI_Builder on Nov 23, 2012 at 12:29:33 pm     #

We bought hickory flooring manufactured by Bruce Flooring with a urethane finish from Home Depot. We are very pleased with the way the floor turned out, and it has held up very well with our five dogs and four grandkids so far.

Unfortunately I cannot recommend a contractor to install, though. The guy we used did great work, but he stiffed us on some other work thta we gave him a deposit on to the tune of about $500, so I am too pissed to recommend him. He is lucky, by the way, that I did not go Google-bombing his name with phrases like "unreliable" or "rip-off," but I retain that option if the dude keeps jacking us around (we got tired of his BS and used a different contractor to finish the job in question). Our kitchen is about 20'24', plus we have a 4'×12' hallway we also floored, and on sale the wood and materials cost us about $1200. The labor for the floor work was about another $1000.

Anyway, here is a section of the floor; this was part of a complete kitchen remodel we finished a few months ago:

I should add that the phrase "we finished" is somewhat misleading; we contracted out almost everything, and my labor was largely limited to cosmetic jobs like painting and patching drywall, while of course writing checks for the skilled craftsmen and workers who actually know what the hell they are doing.

posted by historymike on Nov 23, 2012 at 01:01:35 pm     #

I've had a Pergo floor in my kitchen and entrance hall since 1996. I purchased it at a local carpet store that is now out of business. I will say except for the dent where I dropped the wine bottle it still looks new.

Very easy to care for also.

posted by jackie on Nov 23, 2012 at 01:28:52 pm     #

Historymike,
I had a similar situation with a contractor within the past 6 months or so. I'm cuious if it's the same person. If you don't want to put his name out there.. how about initials? Thanks

posted by wahhutch9 on Nov 23, 2012 at 02:26:51 pm     #

OK; the contractor's initials are JD.

posted by historymike on Nov 23, 2012 at 02:40:40 pm     #

We had Pergo before, Jackie, but it did not hold up well in a few places. One was near a sink area, and my kids were notorious in the day for spilling water and not cleaning it up. The other was a rolling chair (we used to have the computer in the kitchen to keep an eye on the kids when they were teenagers). The wheels of the office chair for the computer wore off the laminate on the Pergo.

With a hardwood floor, you have a lot of wood you can sand down and refinish if you get a stain, scratch, gouge, or other problem. Granted, a hardwood floor is going to cost several times more than a laminate floor, but this hickory floor will likely outlive me.

posted by historymike on Nov 23, 2012 at 02:44:38 pm     #

HM where did you get the hickory floor? I am thinking about hardwood flooring and have also heard laminates don't do well with water or heavy wear.

posted by shamrock44 on Nov 23, 2012 at 04:41:45 pm     #

Shamrock44: we purchased it at Home Depot; they had some kind of truckload sale a year or so ago, and my sharp-eyed wife saw the sale and saved us $600 or so.

Hickory is a very hard wood, and it can take a ton of abuse. Be aware, though, that you will need to invest in some saw blades and drill bits that can handle hickory if you are going to install it yourself.

posted by historymike on Nov 23, 2012 at 04:44:44 pm     #

Another thing I learned about storing the hickory flooring: it needs to be kept at the same temperature and humidity as the room it is going to be installed in for at least a few days (i.e., do not store it in the 28-degree garage and then carry it right into the 65-degree kitchen, or it may warp).

posted by historymike on Nov 23, 2012 at 04:46:34 pm     #

Did you install it or did you have Home Depot do it?

I am not that handy and want it done right, so would have a pro do it.

posted by shamrock44 on Nov 23, 2012 at 05:24:51 pm     #

historymike posted at 03:46:34 PM on Nov 23, 2012:

This I actually true for any wood, laminate, or engineered wood. It is called acclimating.

posted by slowsol on Nov 23, 2012 at 05:45:03 pm     #

We put bamboo flooring in our kitchen. LOVE it! We got it at Lumber Liquidators.

posted by gamegrrl on Nov 23, 2012 at 05:47:48 pm     #

historymike

Our house has the original hardwood floors from when it was built in 1968. The old fashioned kind that you use paste wax and a buffer on. I agree that hardwood outlast anything else out there.

posted by jackie on Nov 23, 2012 at 06:22:09 pm     #

Shamrock44: not me - this is way too sophisticated for my meager carpentry skills. I hired a contractor who did great work, but as I mentioned above, he stiffed me for $500 on another project, so I am not recommending him.

posted by historymike on Nov 23, 2012 at 09:56:00 pm     #

didnt want to go to the big box stores on black friday, so I just stopped by I think it's called CP flooring on Tremainsville... Ouch! that's a little spendy! 3.85-5.00 sq' for vinyl plank? Yikes!

posted by billy on Nov 24, 2012 at 03:37:44 pm     #

Hello fellow TTers!

Just caught this thread and wanted to let everyone know that Appliance Center Home Store has a full line of flooring available from top brand like Mohawk, Shaw, and Armstrong just to name a few. Whether you are looking for carpet, laminate, or hard surface flooring our experts have over 75 years of combined experience in flooring sales, installation, and interior design. We always offer the areas best prices guaranteed, and free estimates and in-home measures. We actually encourage customers to take samples home at no-charge to help ensure that you get the quality and design you will love for years to come. We proudly offer the areas best installation services, and free delivery for the do-it-yourselfers! Stop by and ask for one of our flooring experts today or give us a call at 419-PAY-LESS! We look forward to hearing from you soon! Have a Happy Holidays everyone!

posted by acmanager on Nov 26, 2012 at 12:04:57 pm     #

not to put a damper on the above, but a friend also sent me to appliance center, so I went last sunday. the lady helping me asked me ZERO questions about what i was lookign to do, and went straight to the most expensive thing they carried and that was pretty much all she wanted to tell me about. We politely listened and walked away...

On the other hand tho, my mom was with me and she's in the market for a TV, so we walked over to the TV department and a young man, Ryan - I think, came over and wanted to know what SHE was looking for, how far away fm the TV's she usually sat to watch - moved us that far from the displays so Mom could see them from that distance, explained to her LED vs Plasma, named off the top brands and what made them special...

so service is there at AC, but sometimes it depends on who you get. I didnt get the lady in flooring's name because after a couple minutes I'd decided I wasnt going to buy anything fm her anyway...

posted by billy on Nov 27, 2012 at 09:40:43 am     #

@billy,
THANK YOU for the input. We take our customer service very seriously at Appliance Center and we always appreciate the input, even if on the rare occasion it is not positive. With the busy holiday sale weekend we had more traffic in the store than usual and that may have had an impact on the flooring experts availability. We want to earn your flooring business. Please call our flooring manager John Fulton directly at 419-764-9981 at your convenience and we will make sure we exceed your expectations. We carry everything from apartment grade flooring all the way to high-end custom material and we guarantee the best prices and highest quality installation in the area. Thank you again for your input. We truly appreciate it!

posted by acmanager on Nov 27, 2012 at 11:05:11 am     #