Is the Bunker closed?

I have heard rumors that Bunker has closed. I have heard multiple reasons from it just being temporary to it being closed for good. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about it.

created by edg1262000 on Nov 29, 2012 at 04:56:18 pm     Business     Comments: 21

My favorite place. They always did a good business (IMO) and had great food.

posted by Dappling2 on Nov 29, 2012 at 10:06:26 pm     #

There are a couple signs taped inside the front entrance. I didn't see anything indicating it being temporary.

1. This business is closed.

2. The door locked have been changed.

posted by 6th_Floor on Nov 29, 2012 at 11:27:03 pm     #

Locks

posted by 6th_Floor on Nov 29, 2012 at 11:27:32 pm     #

Mulvaney's?

posted by taliesin52 on Nov 30, 2012 at 12:34:50 am     #

Yup. The owner just confirmed it on Facebook about an hour ago.

Mulvaneys Bunker Matt Morris
Wes and I are very sad to say that the Bunker is closed. We would like to thank our great staff and guest for all the support and patronage. Yes there was a gas leak and then other circumstances evolved later that day. We have learned alot from this experience. We look forward to serving you in the future at Barleys and other ventures. Again thank you and hope too see you again!
Like about an hour ago

posted by MLS_723 on Nov 30, 2012 at 12:40:28 am     #

:(......Like to stop there after work for an adult beverage

posted by Hoops on Nov 30, 2012 at 08:39:52 am     #

I was told by the people at the Dorr Street Cafe that the Bunker's liquor license was "too expensive to renew" whatever that means

posted by Dappling2 on Nov 30, 2012 at 09:16:37 am     #

What the hell does a gas leak have to do with it? It's a utility line; necessary for operating the building. Fix it or the building is condemned. Simple.

Once again, something we're being told just doesn't effin' add up.

posted by GuestZero on Nov 30, 2012 at 01:59:04 pm     #

I am hearing rumblings about tax issues

posted by Hoops on Nov 30, 2012 at 02:14:11 pm     #

Dappling2 posted at 08:16:37 AM on Nov 30, 2012:

I'm not sure what too expensive means either. A quick glance at the license renewal fees shows the max at $2400. Maybe some attorney fees on top of that, but unless the local government (Toledo) was going to file an objection, I don't see what was so expensive that a night of receipts wouldn't cover. Unless business was that bad ...

posted by MrsArcher on Nov 30, 2012 at 02:38:37 pm     #

Google shows a Mulvaney's Bunker at 4945 Dorr St, but I can't obtain an AERIS hit on that address. Nor 4945 Dorr. 4943 Dorr shows some "Library Plaza LLC". Is this a strip mall?

Help!

posted by GuestZero on Nov 30, 2012 at 03:25:50 pm     #

Yes. It is a strip mall between the library and Reynolds Road

posted by Hoops on Nov 30, 2012 at 03:47:38 pm     #

The bar/rest was a space rented in the Library Plaza.

The owner, "landlord" has two signs taped inside the front entrance.

"The locks have been changed" is an apparent indication that The Bunker being closed has a lot more to do with the tenant not paying rent/fees, than the "gas leak" excuse being used by the bar/rest owner.

The two rented business spaces next to The Bunker in the plaza also are restaurants. If there was a significant gas leak they'd probably be closed until the problem was resolved.

Times are tough right now. Couple that with food prices and water/sewage costs rising double digits each of the past couple years, and it doesn't take much of a gross sales reduction to move a business from black ink to red ink.

posted by 6th_Floor on Nov 30, 2012 at 04:09:02 pm     #

6th Floor..I never thought of the cost of the water and sewer rate increases on businesses. Good point.

In my unscientific opinion, they did a good business. There wait staff was nice and the place wasn't dingy like the Dorr Street Cafe.

posted by Dappling2 on Nov 30, 2012 at 08:18:51 pm     #

The rumblings I've heard involve misallocation of assets by management while the owners have been too busy with their new place to keep an eye on things.

posted by brainswell on Dec 01, 2012 at 12:54:21 am     #

Ok..I will be the one to ask it. Maybe Historymike who once owned a pizza shop can help. In layman's terms, what is "misallocation of assets?"

posted by Dappling2 on Dec 01, 2012 at 08:31:39 pm     #

Buying a new car for yourself from the companies bank account.

posted by Linecrosser on Dec 02, 2012 at 11:02:45 am     #

Misallocation of assets by management? Nice way to dance around the issue, Brainy. I'm crass enough to use the much shorter word thievery. But then I'm a bit short on the social graces.

I really don't understand why you as a business owner can't go over your books on a weekly basis to make sure your managing employees aren't, er, misallostealing some assets. So at most you'd get hit by a week's worth of mischievous malfeasance. Something on this scale sounds like it went on for months. Can't you check your business accounts online now? Debits and credits to your accounts should be all laid out.

posted by GuestZero on Dec 02, 2012 at 09:31:03 pm     #

It just aint quite that simple GZ. However, it does sound as though he didn't have dual control. Never trust one person alone to manage your money. Two independant signatures for everything accompanied by periodic audits will alleviate most, but not all, embezzlement.

In my auditing days I saw one instance where an employee got $18k in one week. Gambling habit out of control. It happens.

posted by holland on Dec 02, 2012 at 11:21:12 pm     #

That's really disappointing. Bunker was a very chill place to hang out in the early evenings. Once 9 or 10 hit, I was out of there, as the crowd turned to the college age. Food was good and acceptably priced and service was usually good.

posted by skippy5k on Dec 05, 2012 at 09:50:33 am     #

How much are these 'barestaurants' supported by the college crowd?

posted by GuestZero on Dec 05, 2012 at 11:26:39 am     #