Spitzer, Nicholas structuresí owner lands in jail

Hey, I used one of my 20 articles a month to read this--so you'd better comment! :)

Spitzer, Nicholas Structuresí Owner Lands in Jail

The owner of the downtown Nicholas and Spitzer buildings was arrested Thursday and held on $25,000 bond for failure to obey fire department orders.

Koray Ergur, a California developer, was being held in the Lucas County jail pending a pretrial hearing today in Toledo Housing Court.

Mr. Ergur was in Lucas County Common Pleas Court for a civil matter regarding the Nicholas Building, after which he was arrested and booked.

Mr. Ergur purchased the Nicholas Building in 2009 for $313,600. He bought the adjacent, 10-story Spitzer Building the same year for $800,000, and owes back taxes on both of more than $400,000, according to court records.

created by oldhometown on Nov 30, 2012 at 11:59:44 am     News     Comments: 15

Should have set bond at $400,000 cash only.

It is a crime against the people of this city to let landmarks like these two great buildings fall into disrepair.

posted by JohnnyMac on Nov 30, 2012 at 12:38:41 pm     #   7 people liked this

Agreed.

posted by toledolen_ on Nov 30, 2012 at 01:13:43 pm     #

The bigger crime is when people use perceived status to fall behind on property taxes like that. The guys who obeyed the rules and paid their taxes are that much further behind, really. We're just punishing those who have paid and continue to pay.

Of course tax rates in general are too high for a collapsing economy like Toledo, but that's another discussion. And don't even get me started on the blatant unfairness behind the idea of tax abatements.

posted by GuestZero on Nov 30, 2012 at 01:55:21 pm     #   2 people liked this

The roof in the Nichols has been leaking for decades and interior of the building is rotted from the water. It smelled of rot 25 years ago when I had an office in the 5/3 Building (First National Bank Building in the day). I don't even know if it could be redeemed IF there was a market for the building.

It's not a crime to let a decrepit, useless, lifeless building fall into disrepair. There are some old beautiful office buildings downtown that are short of being 100% utilized. If the Nichols were to be renovated, it would just add more office space into a saturated market. What good would come from that?

posted by jimavolt on Nov 30, 2012 at 03:09:07 pm     #

Jim! You're talking about market forces! You nut! We don't let markets determine what we do in Toledo! The city government does things by fiat! Do this! Do that! Obey or die!

Whew! Sorry Jim, I was channeling the average Liberal there for a bit. I've gotta take some meds to stop it from happening, called a dose of reality.

posted by GuestZero on Nov 30, 2012 at 03:31:01 pm     #

He should be forced to pay owed taxes or the properties get immediately sold.

posted by 6th_Floor on Nov 30, 2012 at 04:50:41 pm     #

The former Clarion Hotel at 2340 South Reynolds is $280,000 behind in taxes. How many potholes could that fill?

posted by Dappling2 on Nov 30, 2012 at 10:08:15 pm     #

Dappling2 posted at 09:08:15 PM on Nov 30, 2012:

Zero, but it could put in 28.1 showers for Czarty if he was still in office.

posted by anonymouscoward on Dec 01, 2012 at 01:03:37 am     #

"And don't even get me started on the blatant unfairness behind the idea of tax abatement."

I agree. And no one supervises to see that they even come close to fulfilling their promises.

posted by jackie on Dec 01, 2012 at 06:50:55 pm     #

No worries Jackie. You should be happy. I was told that the owner of the Spitzer Building voted for ALL of the levies, including the Imagination Station. So, no matter what his transgressions are, since he voted to "better the quality of life" around here, he can't be too bad of a guy.

AC, I don't know you from Adam and I also like your polemical attributes, but what the hell does Carty Finkbeiner have to do with anything?

That is what is known as a "non sequitor."

posted by Dappling2 on Dec 01, 2012 at 08:37:21 pm     #

For your information I have never said on this thread I voted for all levies. And yes I believe in the betterment of the community.

posted by jackie on Dec 01, 2012 at 09:18:02 pm     #

Dappling2 posted at 07:37:21 PM on Dec 01, 2012:

That is what is known as a "non sequitor."

Nothing, it was supposed to be a humorous remark concerning the governance of the city and how it sees fit to spend money. After all, they don't seem to give a damn about going after the tax cheats, so what makes you think they'll bother fixing potholes? They'll just blow the money they haven't got on something stupid.

posted by anonymouscoward on Dec 02, 2012 at 12:04:09 am     #

Like planting flowers around town?

posted by Linecrosser on Dec 02, 2012 at 11:04:35 am     #

Planting flowers is fine.

It's when they start proposing bullshit like city-run water parks while at the same time finding it impossible to maintain the existing pools that I have a problem with...

posted by oldhometown on Dec 02, 2012 at 08:21:32 pm     #

Out of curiosity, what are the "fire department orders" that these guys are accused of disobeying?

posted by GuestZero on Dec 02, 2012 at 08:28:29 pm     #