Waterville polar bear club?

anyone have any news about this years polar dunk in the river at waterville?

sounds like fun.

created by billy on Dec 24, 2012 at 10:29:33 am     Outdoors     Comments: 5

Older thread:

No functioning website listed, but comments said January 1 at 2:30 p.m. at Memorial Park river access. Sign-in at fire station begins at 11:30 a.m. Maybe confirm with the fire department.

posted by jr on Dec 24, 2012 at 01:42:22 pm     #

I was just talking with my family about this yesterday and asked if anyone would try it with me (I have never done it before) - I received a resounding chorus of "No Way"

Anyone else here going to give it a try?

posted by shamrock44 on Dec 24, 2012 at 02:07:39 pm     #

I did it 2 years ago as a sort of bucket list item. It's pretty crazy and I don't think I wanna do it again. Weird thing was after the initial cold shock I felt like my skin was burning and really wasn't that cold after I got out of the water. It is a fun event!

posted by Brewster on Dec 24, 2012 at 04:22:58 pm     #

I have done it the last two years and will be going again this year (taking at least two friends as well). It's one of those goofy things in life that's fun, but there's no good explanation as to why.

Anyhow, I agreee w/ Brewster's . I use "stinging sensation" when describing the water. That's followed by a numbness. With stinging and the adrenaline, I never really "feel" cold.

The key to not getting cold is to make sure you have a change of clothes. If you see someone walking around in with a "Cousin Eddie" look (old bombers hat, bathrobe, etc), say hello...that will be me.

posted by Postal on Dec 26, 2012 at 12:25:34 pm     #   1 person liked this

It will be interesting to see how the snow impacts the crowd and the river.

posted by Postal on Dec 26, 2012 at 04:23:39 pm     #