Amazon missed promised Christmas delivery

My mother and I placed an order last Thursday (12/20) and paid $40 for 2-day delivery with a promised delivery of Christmas Eve from Amazon for a gift for my daughter. The item didn't show up until today so I called Amazon and asked for a refund of the shipping cost that I paid (the item qualified for free Super Saver Shipping if I had not wanted it by Christmas). The CSR said that it was delayed because of 'the blizzard'. That's fine, no big deal, but I still wanted my shipping money back.

But I was curious and did some web search - I haven't been able to find any news report or message board threads on Amazon missing a bunch of shipping deadlines because of the weather. Has anyone else seen something about it? Were we the only one that didn't get our package?

I wasn't terribly upset about the present not being here. My daughter is 11 and can understand a late present. We are inconvenienced in that we had it shipped to my parents and will now have to make an extra trip to their house to pick it up (I tried to re-route it to our house but that apparently UPS charges to do that). I was just curious that I hadn't hear more about Amazon issuing their shipping promise. They did refund the shipping without a problem.

created by MrsArcher on Dec 27, 2012 at 12:50:21 am     Business     Comments: 8

Well, at least they handled it professionally. Cheers to Amazon.

posted by slowsol on Dec 27, 2012 at 02:30:57 am     #

The Norm Thompson company goofed up my order and sent FRUITCAKE to everyone instead of the boxed candy I requested ... bleah!

I've had such bad luck with "guaranteed" Christmas shipping, I made a decision to never be in the position of paying for last-minute stuff. I'm glad you got your shipping charge refunded!

posted by viola on Dec 27, 2012 at 09:34:50 am     #

I've always found Amazon.com to be incredibly accommodating when it comes to complaint resolution.

Most retailers, in my experience, use an "Act of God" defense when it comes to weather-caused late deliveries and such. With Amazon, if I pay for one or two day delivery, and it's not here on schedule, they always -- always -- refund whatever I paid for shipping.

They're also very flexible when it comes to pricing. I recently purchased a Kindle for a friend. The same day it arrived, Amazon began a $30 off sale price for the same model I'd purchased. Most places would say 'tough beans', but when I called them, they gave me a $30 credit.

I love Amazon.com. So much, in fact, that I'm a Prime member.

I'm glad to hear that they refunded your shipping without a problem. The carrier has final control over shipping, of course, and if they feel that weather conditions put their personnel at risk, they will shut down until conditions improve. An Amazon purchase I made last week was scheduled for a two day delivery (for which I paid extra), but FedEx (the carrier) decided that conditions in Gaylord MI were too bad to have their trucks and people on the road. So they held the package until the last day. So I guess in answer to your question, there definitely were some deliveries delayed by the snowstorm.

posted by gamegrrl on Dec 27, 2012 at 09:57:37 am     #

I have a relative that is a mechanic at UPS in Adrian. According to him, they had several tricks flipped over during the windy days last week that caused delays. That was in Michigan, but obviously I have no idea where your package was being shipped from.

posted by slowsol on Dec 27, 2012 at 10:10:11 am     #

According to the tracking info, it was ready to be shipped last Friday but UPS didn't show an initial 'arrival' scan until Monday afternoon, in Louisville, KY. It was switched to overnight service so that we got it yesterday.

A complicating issue with this item was that it was a bed - not the actress, just the frame, but still this was a big package weighing 30+ pounds. So it may have been selectively ignored on purpose so that other stuff made it on time.

No big deal, the daughter was thrilled with the promise. It wasn't a planned gift, but a last minute idea when grandma realized she had more $$ to spend and we DID look all over town for something but couldn't find the style my daughter wanted for under $300. Even with $40 shipping, Amazon was half that.

posted by MrsArcher on Dec 27, 2012 at 10:26:32 am     #

Several months ago, I ordered a new smartphone from Amazon Wireless. The delivery driver took it to a house a block away! Same house number, different street.
I kept checking the tracking and became alarmed after reading that it was delivered. I called them, and was told, if it wasn't outside somewhere, (in bushes etc) then I would have to file a police report, and fax them a copy to get a replacement.
Luckily, the person living where it was left was honest, and brought it over.

posted by JeepMaker on Dec 27, 2012 at 10:46:44 am     #

JeepMaker - Two years ago we had a package of Oranges (Around $100)that the in-laws ship from the Orange Grove next to their home in Florida. We get these every year and look forward to them. Fed Ex delivered them two doors down. The lady ate them. When we saw the box out with her recyclables - my wife went over to talk to her. Her response was, "I didn't know who they were for". Bottom line - Fed ex denied our claim, the Orange Grove said they shipped it, so its out of their hands, and the Maumee police would not take the report. Nice.

posted by Molsonator on Dec 27, 2012 at 11:12:17 am     #

Molsonator posted at 10:12:17 AM on Dec 27, 2012:

Nice. Translation, "I'm an idiot and even though the box said the address, I stole them anyway."

posted by slowsol on Dec 27, 2012 at 11:54:18 am     #   2 people liked this