White Tower, White Hut, Kewpees do you remember?

I have fond memories as a child being fed Burgers and fries from these fine establishments. Do you remember? If so would you agree or disagree that the quality of this food was far greater than any other fast foods today? I would.

created by tgarvin on Dec 31, 2012 at 04:22:58 pm     History     Comments: 28

We love going to the White Tower on Sylvania! A couple of years ago we drove down to Lima to check out Kewpees and LOVED that as well. I totally agree, the quality of the classic old timey fast food is totally different than the over processed stuff you find today.

posted by upso on Dec 31, 2012 at 04:47:31 pm     #

Those Butterburgers always hit the spot!!!

posted by shamrock44 on Dec 31, 2012 at 04:49:01 pm     #

Worked at the Tower for a year when the City laid The Hub off, 80-81, absolutely loved it. We got to learn to cook but it took a long time to get good enough to work on your own, they had high standards. Loved working the front, tho, Colony and Sylvania Ave, even 11p-7a, even New Year's Eve. Workers and customers alike were happy to be there, it was always good time. Are the butterburgers still really that good? I got to go get one...

posted by nana on Dec 31, 2012 at 05:16:10 pm     #

Came across Kewpees on a ride this past summer, remembered them from my childhood, they were before McD's, right? Burgers were nothing special, but I can't remember if they really ever were. :)

posted by nana on Dec 31, 2012 at 05:17:48 pm     #

Kewpees on Laskey.
1971.
Bike parked outside. What lock?

Dollar in calloused hand. Lawn mowed and trimmed. All I have to do is say that it is "to go" and I can get a hamburg, fry and a shake for that dollar.

Step up. Glance at the knapkin holder and the straw dispenser. "Kewpee Hotels." My turn. Sweet success. Join my friends at the table and commence a dinner out with the "big kids."

No... they don't taste the same these days...

posted by justread on Dec 31, 2012 at 05:30:12 pm     #   2 people liked this

Super King and greasy Onion Rings... At the Secor Hut. They were the Best... The Sylvania Hut was for Cruisin'. Lots of drag races started there and finished on the new Enterprize Road.

posted by rch101 on Dec 31, 2012 at 06:55:24 pm     #

Chick-N-Joy in the point, so much grease, so much taste.

posted by Linecrosser on Dec 31, 2012 at 07:18:56 pm     #

Mt parents keep telling me about a place in Toledo called Yum Yum burger they went to on a date....in the 70s

posted by OhioKimono on Dec 31, 2012 at 09:28:40 pm     #

I loved the frosted malts.

posted by jackie on Dec 31, 2012 at 09:32:59 pm     #

You can still get a Kewpee at either of the three locations still in operation in Lima. Don't forget the chili.

posted by max on Dec 31, 2012 at 10:32:05 pm     #

OK, the Yum Yum closed earlier in 2012 (in case you don't see this before midnight, lol). By chance, we were some of the last people to eat there, our one and only time, and the burger was very very good.

posted by nana on Dec 31, 2012 at 11:22:51 pm     #

mmmm, Hinkle's, Friday night after MC'D's fish sammitches coz of my Catholic best friends. 1969.

Wasn't it Mister Donut that used to sell from a donut truck?

posted by nana on Dec 31, 2012 at 11:26:55 pm     #

Trailblazer at Don's Drive In on Main Street. Also Toddle House hamburgs on Collingwood across from Executive Towers apartments. I don't now if the food was better back then, but the memories sure make me salivate.

posted by RobRob on Dec 31, 2012 at 11:38:21 pm     #

There used to be a White Hut at Reynolds & Nebraska. Across the street was the self serve car wash, (or as we called it, the quarter wash). That was where all the hot cars would hang out back in the day.

posted by JeepMaker on Jan 01, 2013 at 10:50:46 am     #

I had begun to think that it was an imaginary childhood memory of donuts being sold, and made? on a truck that came through my W. Toledo neighborhood. So fresh that they were crispy on the outside. Could be Mister Donut. Just pleased that someone else remembers.

posted by oldmom on Jan 01, 2013 at 11:55:41 am     #

Nope, it existed, it came thru the OWE quite regularly. there was also a soft-serve ice cream truck, large one, Mr. Softy, I think.

What ever happened to Burger Chef? First time I ever ate out with my parents was there, I think it was the building Arnie's is in at Westgate? I have no idea if they were good or not, maybe that's why they're not around anymore.

posted by nana on Jan 02, 2013 at 12:46:28 pm     #

I remember the White Hut on Sylvania pretty well. We got thrown out of there one night by that ten ton cop who used to work there for squealing our tires and acting like smart asses when he told us to knock it off.

I also remember that Tastee Freeze soft ice cream place at Alexis and Whiteford. There was a little convenience store next to it called Manor's, and the guy who owned the store was real nice.

posted by madjack on Jan 02, 2013 at 08:17:18 pm     #

Moron burgers. Holland-Sylvania, just north of Central. Their claim to fame was their enormity. I bet, with portion sizes the way they are now, that old Moron burger from back in the day was no bigger than the current basic Whopper. But boy do I remember those.

Also, not a burger joint, but anyone else remember Pappy Mock's BBQ on Airport, just east of Reynolds?

posted by luvtoledo on Jan 02, 2013 at 08:56:26 pm     #

I worked at White Hut on Sylvania, met my husband there. Was a car hop...fun job!
Oh you can still get a Moron Burger at Hong Kong on Holland Sylvania near Central.

posted by Ann on Jan 03, 2013 at 01:54:05 pm     #   1 person liked this

Ok. So who's going to fulfill my fantasy of a truck driving around selling freshly made awesome doughnuts? Someone? Anyone? Please???

posted by gamegrrl on Jan 03, 2013 at 05:09:37 pm     #   1 person liked this

When I was a kid, my grandparents lived a few blocks from the White Hut at Sylvania Ave. & N. Lockwood. I remember thinking there was nothing better than a Super King burger and a frosted malt. Just down the street at Sylvania & Eastway, there was the Homeville Drugs. Kind of an old time drug store/soda fountain. They probably closed down in the early 1970's. Great vanilla phosphates, sodas and cherry cokes. I wonder if anybody recalls that place?

posted by nighthawk83 on Jan 21, 2013 at 10:30:25 pm     #

I was thinking the other day,(thought you smelled something burning eh?)
Wouldn't it be cool if you could organize a website where people could post their old pictures of various neighborhoods in town?
They could be catagorized so you could look up particular areas.
I often wonder, "what did this area look like way back when".
Hell, I've spent hours clicking through pictures on the library's "images in time" website.

posted by JeepMaker on Jan 22, 2013 at 10:53:57 am     #

My friends claimed that a "Moron Burger's" buns were the equivalent of a loaf of bread. Not sure of the truth in that, but it was a challenge among us 17-18-year-olds to see who would wimp out and not finish their burger. So, yes, "moron," was an appropriate name. :)

posted by paulhem on Jan 22, 2013 at 01:40:08 pm     #

There were a couple White Tower Restaurants Downtown. One was on Jefferson & Superior, the other was on Jackson not far from the Safety Building. There was a White Tower on Lewis Ave north of Laskey, too.

A small burger chain was Mel's Big Burger. I just recall the one on the NE corner of Dorr & Secor. It was torn down to create space for a Sohio Gas station (later BP). Directly behind they built a McDonald's. It too was torn down. What's on that corner now? A Barnes & Noble book store.

Do any of you recall Ted's Hamburger that was downtown? It was on the NE corner of Monroe & Erie. The building is now derelict.

posted by flinty on Jan 23, 2013 at 12:57:57 am     #

Flinty, I worked in both of the downtown White Towers, got sent for a couple nights when people called off. what a frickin trip!! I trained at the Sylvania store, great manager there and fun ladies. The Towers didn't hire young people, they were too unstable in their lives to show up every day, so everyone there was 30 or over. New Year's Eve 1981 the Colony store got slammed and 2 people went home sick at 2am. Sylvania was not that busy, so they sent me to Colony. I cleaned tables and did dishes for 2 hours, took breakfast orders and mopped, and the nanager liked me so much, she stole me, lol. Only worked for WT for a year, 6 mos at Sylvania and 6 mos at Colony and I still remember a lot of faces but no names anymore. Feels like I could fall right back into it, they really trained you well. :)

posted by nana on Jan 23, 2013 at 11:08:46 pm     #

There were actually 3 Downtown White Towers at their peak in the 1970's. In 1977 and 1978, I delivered bread to all 3, plus the ones on Sylvania Ave, Lewis Ave and the Colony. Besides the small Downtown store at Huron & Jackson, (now Roman's) and the Jefferson & Superior location, there was also a small White Tower at Jefferson & 10th. Their food was a lot better back in the days when Barney Knopp ran it. Mr Knopp was a real stickler about the quality of food they served.

posted by nighthawk83 on Jan 29, 2013 at 10:48:31 pm     #

flinty: Yes, I recall Ted's - directly across from what was the Scenic Bar - now Tequila Sheila's.

Ted's has been closed for longer than I can remember.

posted by Foodie on Jan 30, 2013 at 01:03:47 pm     #

I also remember Don's Drive-Ins too. It was always a treat to get to "eat out". I still remember my first Big Mac too, funny to remember stuff like this! Weren't there troll dolls given away at Kewpees? Funny story about the White Tower at Secor and Sylvania; went there after a night at the bar with some friends (moron, IIRC, with fries and an eclair please). Anyway, cafeteria style so you paid before you sat down, and after about 5 minutes one of my friends looks around the place, like he is casing it for a breakout or something and says in a low voice- "man, we could just walk right out of here", forgetting that he had already paid. Ah yes, grand times indeed.

posted by MI_Builder on Feb 01, 2013 at 12:50:51 pm     #