Whitehouse Prison (Urban Decay Photos)

The Whitehouse Prison is...an interesting venue. I wanted to visit it in the snow and get photos of it. I've waited for a few days to catch just the right blue skies against the brick and snow. While there...other things happened, such as me noticing that there was a wide open wall that lead into the Prison. I did end up being caught by a Ranger who was so kind as to let me off with a warning, since I was only there to take photos (I'm super grateful for such). In recent history the place has been the site of a lot of arson and other problems...

As much as I want to go back, and do a high fashion photoshoot inside the prison I will not be going back.

On the history note, the place was opened in 1918 and closed in 1990 due to it's very high costs of running it. On my blog I have other info and details.

Full blog post: http://toledowastewalker.wordpress.com/2013/01/01/whitehouse-ohio-prison-work-house-happy-new-year-2013/

created by OhioKimono on Jan 01, 2013 at 06:30:42 pm     History     Comments: 15

OK- can you pm me on here? I've got a access to a cool building you may want to take a look at.

posted by slowsol on Jan 01, 2013 at 06:57:55 pm     #

Will do, I'm super excited!

posted by OhioKimono on Jan 01, 2013 at 07:07:26 pm     #

Hey Slow, it is not letting me send you anything. Got an email you feel comfy posting so I can contact you?

posted by OhioKimono on Jan 01, 2013 at 07:24:49 pm     #

Yea. I tried to send a PM but it was a PITA. jjmaciii@hotmail.com

posted by slowsol on Jan 01, 2013 at 07:26:53 pm     #

Hey i used to break into that place back in high school. We even found keys to the rec building (really nice basket ball court by the way). More pics please!

posted by hank on Jan 01, 2013 at 09:34:36 pm     #

looks like the next location for one of the Ghost buster shows out there...

posted by billy on Jan 02, 2013 at 11:05:15 am     #

Was that the workhouse?

posted by nana on Jan 02, 2013 at 12:49:33 pm     #

It was the workhouse.
If you want to see more photos, please visit the blog link. On my blog there are 17 photos, historical info, and some stories.

Also - no..I don't think the place was haunted. In fact, I don't think any of the places I've gone to are haunted. The Ghost hunter tv shows are stupid and dramatist everything for the sake of ratings.

posted by OhioKimono on Jan 02, 2013 at 07:53:04 pm     #   1 person liked this

OK- did you get my response?

posted by slowsol on Jan 02, 2013 at 10:36:21 pm     #

Yeah, i checked out those 17. It's just given me a hunger for more.

posted by hank on Jan 02, 2013 at 11:06:20 pm     #

I don't remember it being a prison as such but it was called "The Workhouse". Lots of men did their 3 day DWI stints there.

posted by RockChick on Jan 03, 2013 at 12:13:16 am     #

Give me some time, later I will post some extra shots that I didn't feel were strong enough to make the blog, but are interesting all the same.

posted by OhioKimono on Jan 03, 2013 at 09:20:10 am     #

I remember my cousin going to court for a DWI. The parking attendant across from the court house started to put his car in the rear of the lot. Cousin said no, that he'd be back in a little while. The attendant knew better. My cousin got a free bus ride to the work house to visit for three days with his uncle who was a guard there at the time.

posted by Trilby on Jan 03, 2013 at 10:59:23 am     #

Sad pictures...our dad was a frequent guest there for DUI's...But he was an awesome man.

posted by Ann on Jan 03, 2013 at 01:56:01 pm     #

Here are a few of the extra photos...

IMG 1137