Ottawa Hills officer's conviction overturned in motorcycle shooting

In a 2-1 opinion, the appellate court reversed the verdict and remanded it back to common pleas court for a new trial, saying that the jury was not given proper instructions of law. The court also dismissed the gun specification with prejudice meaning even if the case is retried, White can not be charged with the additional specification.

Full article:

created by mom2 on Jan 11, 2013 at 01:10:31 pm     Legal     Comments: 12

please tell me this cop hasnt been on paid leave all this time...

posted by billy on Jan 11, 2013 at 01:21:31 pm     #

WOW!!! I must admit this is a shocker.

posted by Star56 on Jan 11, 2013 at 01:26:18 pm     #

I'm shocked if he's even in the US. He used to live across the street from me, and his house was vacant from shortly after his conviction.

posted by Anniecski on Jan 11, 2013 at 01:46:20 pm     #

He's still free and the poor soul he shot is still paralyzed. Something isn't kosher about this. Legal beagles on this thread, explain this me in plain language please.

posted by jackie on Jan 11, 2013 at 03:36:50 pm     #

Jackie -

Basically they said the jury didn't have all of the information they needed to make a fair ruling and the prosecutors are free to charge him again, with the exception of the added penalty for using a gun, which was from a law that was not designed to be used in these circumstances.

posted by taliesin52 on Jan 11, 2013 at 04:51:59 pm     #

I'm not surprised. At the end of the day this no good trigger happy piece of debris is a cop. Anyone and any thing involved in the law enforcement industry will help protect him. I suspected that the entire farce would end this way when the judge allowed White to remain free on bail from the time he was charged.

White should be doing 25 to life in a maximum security prison.

posted by madjack on Jan 11, 2013 at 06:17:45 pm     #

The explanation makes sense taliesin52, but the whole thing still stinks. I'm sure the Judge was not happy about being overturned in his application of the law. And I'm equally sure Mike and his family are really wondering if he will ever get justice.

I generally support law enforcement. But in this case I see it at its very, very worst.

posted by holland on Jan 11, 2013 at 10:20:38 pm     #

The cop made a horrible mistake in the heat of the moment. I feel for him too. Maybe the motorcycle guy should not have tried to flee. I think he made a horrible mistake also and shares the blame equally.

posted by AmericanPie on Jan 12, 2013 at 12:34:14 pm     #   1 person liked this

AmericanPie posted at 11:34:14 AM on Jan 12, 2013:

That cop didn't make a mistake. Thomas White shot Michael McCloskey on purpose. White is completely unrepentant.

McCloskey did not try to flee White. If he had, he would have been long gone. When he heard that no good son of a two dollar whore the cop behind him, he turned around to look. When he turned back, White shot him in the back and then let him lie on the street with a hot motorcycle lying on his leg, leaking gas in the vicinity of a red hot exhaust.

White should be in a maximum security prison doing 25 to life.

posted by madjack on Jan 12, 2013 at 02:13:09 pm     #   2 people liked this

"White should be in a maximum security prison doing 25 to life."

In gen pop, as well.

posted by anonymouscoward on Jan 12, 2013 at 03:42:39 pm     #

This isn't the end of the road for Officer White.

The video of the shooting will be played at the second trial.

And I'm sure the jury will feel the same revulsion.

And you can bet jury instructions will be airtight.

posted by oldhometown on Jan 12, 2013 at 08:33:50 pm     #

It's such bullshit. How much do you have to know to realize that it's wrong to shoot an unarmed man in the back??

You can bet, if someone, even armed, broke into your home, and you shot them in the back after they were out the door, your ass would be in deep shit.

IMHO, white was a poorly trained, pathetic little pansy who became a big man in his mind when he got that badge and gun.
Some people just don't have the temperment to be police officers.

posted by JeepMaker on Jan 13, 2013 at 12:37:11 am     #