Wine Dinner-Registry Bistro

I'm a little nervous about posting this here since this an actual event in Downtown, which always seems to get the juices going, but here it goes:

Monday, Feb 4- There will be a wine dinner with David Shiverick of Langdon Shiverick Imports. If you are a French Wine freak or a fan of Registry-this is a can't miss. Erika is amazing at pairings, and I'm super excited.

The Menu:

Fumet with Olives & Cannellini Ragout
Grilled Walnut Bread
2008 Ollieux Romanis Corbieres Classique
IV
Grilled Elk with Radicchio
Sweet Potato & Chorizo Hash Cake
2010 JL Chave Selections, Crozes-Hermitage “Silène”
V
Braised Oxtail with Carrots Puree
Yorkshire Pudding
2010 Domaine de la Solitude Châteauneuf-du-Pape
VI
Dark Chocolate & Whiskey Truffles
Smoked Sea Salt

Robert Parker recently said of David: “An American importers who values authenticity as well as how wines are shipped and stored. David Shiverick, Langdon-Shiverick Imports is one of our country’s most highly esteemed importers.”

It's $70/ person
Dinner begins at 6pm
Call (419) 725-0444 for reservations.

Hope to see you there!

created by ahmahler on Jan 25, 2013 at 06:16:26 pm     Food     Comments: 26

source      versions      1 person liked this

She REALLY is skilled at the pairings. We did the New Years Eve dinner a few weeks ago, and it was astounding.

posted by upso on Jan 25, 2013 at 08:13:36 pm     #   4 people liked this

Sounds wonderful. My SO never drinks, so events like this don't make sense for us ... too bad!

posted by viola on Jan 25, 2013 at 09:14:45 pm     #

for what it's worth
when they did the NYE dinner, they offered a cheaper option for the non drinkers.
it's worth exploring / asking

posted by upso on Jan 25, 2013 at 09:37:35 pm     #

I guarentee they would offer a non wine price.

posted by ahmahler on Jan 25, 2013 at 10:04:21 pm     #

I'm so mad I'm missing this. I am out of town that day and know this will be delicious. If anyone goes, please let me know your thoughts.

posted by Brewster on Jan 25, 2013 at 10:16:48 pm     #

Sounds wonderfully delicious! Thanks for sharing!

posted by MaggieThurber on Jan 26, 2013 at 11:21:44 am     #

Sold me on it, was there for NYE as well food and wine parings were great although the rushing you out the door before midnight on NYE wasn't the best planning.

posted by In_vin_veritas on Jan 26, 2013 at 01:35:35 pm     #

In_vin_veritas-

Make sure to introduce yourself-I'll be sort of emcee-ing the evening. It is going to be great! Champagne starts flowing at 6

posted by ahmahler on Jan 30, 2013 at 01:18:20 pm     #

Is this sold out yet?

posted by justread on Jan 30, 2013 at 01:20:59 pm     #

no-they have seats-I think there are about 30 reservations so far, they'll cap at 60. This is pretty typical for wine dinners. about 1/2 of the reservations are made within the week prior.

Side note-I do a TON of wine dinners throughout Ohio and Michigan, and have hosted many in CA from when I lived out there as well. Very few chefs rate as highly as Erika in terms of really nailing interesting and inventive pairings. I'm extremely fortunate to be able to do these events with her. We've probably done something like 20-30 wine dinners in the last 7+years.

posted by ahmahler on Jan 30, 2013 at 01:59:22 pm     #   2 people liked this

Thanks.
Erika is amazing. No question.
I first became familiar with her at Diva, and have been a fan since.

posted by justread on Jan 30, 2013 at 02:08:50 pm     #   2 people liked this

On most days, I simply consume food. But when I get to experience spectacular food, like at tonight's wine dinner at Registry Bistro, that's when life is pretty nifty.

Thanks, ahmahler for posting this event here. Our small group had a wonderful time.

The food, wine, service, information, people, conversation, and laughter were three-plus hours of enjoyment. Better than the Super Bowl.

Erika did an amazing job with the French wine pairings.

I wish I had an audio recording or a transcript of Dave's intro to each wine. He provided fascinating information about each wine's origin and history.

I loved that wine served with the fish along with Dave's wine paired with the chocolate and whiskey truffles. And the Champagne served in the meeting area was fantastic.

The food was great, but I think my favorite was the grilled elk dish, but the braised oxtail was also delicious. It was all fabulous.

45 to 50 people attended. The small tables were arranged next to each other in two long rows, so we got to chat with the people around us.

The next wine dinner event is scheduled for Monday, March 4, and it will feature Italian wines. No menu yet, since Erika has to sample the wines.

posted by jr on Feb 04, 2013 at 11:42:33 pm     #   1 person liked this

So glad to hear it was well atrended! I embrace any opportunity to support someone who pushes culinary boundaries and puts out a product I'd be proud to show out-of-towners. I'm hoping to be there for the next one!

posted by Johio83 on Feb 05, 2013 at 12:55:18 am     #

Thanks jr- that was a fabulous evening! David was really enjoying himself, and for someone as well travelled as he is, he really enjoyed his day in Toledo. I even took him for a nightcap at The Village Idiot. I thought Erika absolutely nailed the pairings, and I think it's a testimony to how much works with her cooking. Next time, please introduce yourself- I'm glad the TTers represented.

posted by ahmahler on Feb 05, 2013 at 09:29:43 am     #

A friend of mine went and said it was the best restaurant meal she's ever had in Toledo.

posted by Anniecski on Feb 05, 2013 at 09:52:16 am     #

I've heard the same. Best in Toledo.

posted by upso on Feb 05, 2013 at 10:19:22 am     #

An excellent meal! The grilled elk was absolutely ridiculous.

posted by endcycle on Feb 05, 2013 at 04:17:14 pm     #

Making my reservation for the March dinner today!

posted by Brewster on Feb 22, 2013 at 01:40:01 pm     #

I almost forgot (and have forgotten a few in between). Next Monday-Registry is hosting another wine dinner, this time it will be Portuguese wines. These wines are near and dear to me as I visited in April and was blown away. If you're on the fence, just read some of the comments regarding one of the previous dinners. I do know that it is filling up nicely, a week out there were over 40 reservations. I would expect to see about 65+

It's $70/ person
Dinner begins at 6pm
Call (419) 725-0444 for reservations.

Here's the menu:

Prego No Pao
2007 Quinta do Mouro, Alentejo

VII
Petite Sweet

Hope to see you there!

posted by ahmahler on Oct 09, 2013 at 08:43:20 am     #

I wish they would do these on the weekend. I just can't go out during the week but that sounds LOVELY.

posted by upso on Oct 09, 2013 at 10:17:28 am     #

I am not a oenophile at all -- a glass of Barefoot Sweet Red is about as high-falutin' as I get -- but wow, that all sounds wonderful.

posted by Anniecski on Oct 09, 2013 at 10:21:35 am     #

Have some work colleagues coming from out of town on Monday...might be the perfect answer to "where should we go for dinner?". Checking with them now...

posted by breeman on Oct 09, 2013 at 12:01:20 pm     #

FYI-if you wanted to go and didn't get res yet, they are officially sold out at 65 people. There are a couple of other dinners in the works, I'll try to keep you posted.

Thanks

posted by ahmahler on Oct 13, 2013 at 08:39:19 pm     #

Dinner begins at 6pm
Call (419) 245-1050 for reservations.

Here's the revised menu:

VI
Popsicle
Andre Pink Sparkling Wine

VII
Sugar Packets

posted by madjack on Oct 14, 2013 at 06:07:50 pm     #   1 person liked this

that's right up my alley madjack!

posted by upso on Oct 14, 2013 at 07:32:28 pm     #

Attended last night's special event, the Portuguese wine pairing, with 3 colleagues from work and all agreed it was a fantastic meal and the wine pairings were excellent. I have to agree that this is the best meal I've had at an area restaurant.

Chef, Erika Rapp, and her staff arranged a really special event with excellent service, beautiful presentation, and really excellent and innovative dishes. The wine pairings were, in many cases, amazing and really showed the possibilities of this as an art (or possibly a science in her case!) amahler also did a bang up job with his introductions and "witty banter", was nice to meeting you person!

I will most certainly return for future special events time (and budget) permitting, but it should be noted that the caliber of food and wine served at an event like this was an ABSOLUTE BARGAIN at the price. A real gem here in Toledo, make sure you go there and support Registry and enjoy a really nice meal.

posted by breeman on Oct 15, 2013 at 07:58:02 am     #   1 person liked this