Husband looking for job due to lay off

My husband has over 15 years experience in manufacturing. He was laid off permanently earlier this week. He also has an associates in applied business. Does anyone know of any place that is hiring? He has put out 20 apps since Wednesday but sometimes not all of the jobs are posted online or in the newspaper classified.

Thanks so much!

created by irelandsaiorse on Jan 27, 2013 at 05:38:53 pm     Business     Comments: 35

source      versions      1 person liked this

Plenty of places around. Find the top 50 or so companies around and submit a resume right on their web sites even if you don't see a job open.

posted by SensorG on Jan 27, 2013 at 06:11:30 pm     #

Yeah, definitely apply to places regardless if they have open positions listed. Also, make sure your husband's linkedin profile is up to date. Seems to be a great venue to get a job these days. http://www.linkedin.com/

posted by upso on Jan 27, 2013 at 06:34:41 pm     #

Best of luck, irelandsaiorse: if I hear of anything I will pass it along.

posted by historymike on Jan 27, 2013 at 06:42:22 pm     #

This is probably not the very best place but a friend picked up a phone book and went right down the yellow page listings. There are many local small manufacturers out there that aren't well known. While I have absolutely no idea of their current staffing needs, if any, I'd suggest Hamilton Manufacturing in Holland as one place to try.

posted by holland on Jan 27, 2013 at 07:14:14 pm     #

"15 years experience in manufacturing" as what? screwed in dome lights? fixed machines? ran the plant? Its like pulling teeth sometimes

posted by justareviewer on Jan 27, 2013 at 07:18:27 pm     #

I highly recommend Linked In. Can be a valuable networking tool. It isn't just for professionals. He can message his entire network about looking for opportunities, plus easily determine his connections to a particular employer, which could definitely come in handy. A must for any job seeker nowadays.

posted by BulldogBuckeye on Jan 29, 2013 at 12:42:20 pm     #

Came across this on my lunch break. Perhaps this can help?

posted by INeedCoffee on Jan 29, 2013 at 01:57:28 pm     #

This is going to sound silly, but I'm serious: every time I have fallen out of work, I have found short-term employment as a taxi driver.

Driving a taxi is not as easy as it looks. But, it is usually not hard to find a job doing it, because it tends to be a high-turnover profession. In Ohio, you don't need a special license for anything under 15 passenger. All you need is a clean driving record. Not SPOTLESS, just clean. The pay is not great, but it is usually a flexible job.

This area has some specialized companies in that field, too, such as PTI in Walbridge, who handles crew transportation for the railroads. I worked for them for a while, it wasn't bad. There are also some short-distance livery companies, such as Panther or Try Hours. They usually pay a little better.

Like I said, I realize that sounds kind of silly, but it's no joke. As a younger man, I found myself out of work once, and took a taxi job because I couldn't find anything else where I was living. I have bounced back to it a few times since then, when between jobs. It's not bad for bridging a gap.

posted by Sohio on Jan 29, 2013 at 02:12:15 pm     #

Definitely check out linkedin. My company uses Linkedin everyday to post jobs and find candidates! I even know who some ToledoTalkers are because we are connected via linkedin;-)

posted by stooks on Jan 29, 2013 at 02:42:43 pm     #

I agree re: LinkedIn. Back in 2008, I re-entered the corporate world after many, many years as a self-supporting artist. The economy was going down the dumper at the time, and I figured that with so many self-employed years on my resume, that it would take me months to find something. If I found anything at all, that is.

Long story short: I posted on LinkedIn that I was getting ready to dust off my resume. That was a Wednesday. By Friday, I had a shiny new job.

It was only because of the networking aspect of the site that a former co-worker (20 years prior co-worker) saw my post that I lucked into this position. Seems this former co-worker had morphed into being the President of a high tech company since we'd last worked together. Go figure.

posted by gamegrrl on Jan 29, 2013 at 03:27:25 pm     #

Also have him put his resume on Monster and CareerBuilder. Not sure how complicated his job history is, but he might want to have someone professionally do his resume. I had mine done a few years ago when I decided to start looking and it made a real difference.

Here is some good stuff -

posted by SensorG on Jan 29, 2013 at 03:42:04 pm     #   1 person liked this

This chap designed his "resume" to look like an Amazon.com product page.

posted by jr on Jan 29, 2013 at 04:52:15 pm     #

^ love it

posted by justareviewer on Jan 29, 2013 at 05:29:12 pm     #

^ That is SO clever!

posted by viola on Jan 29, 2013 at 05:47:49 pm     #

^ That's amazing!

posted by madjack on Jan 29, 2013 at 06:55:40 pm     #

I've had good fortune in the past using LinkedIn, Monster, Career Builder, Dice and Net-Temps. I think the better quality jobs are generally found on Career Builder, but that's just my unscientific opinion.

Sohio: I'm very curious about the taxi driver position. What does a driver generally make? I know the money can't be great, but some people must make a living at it one way or another.

I used to know the man that owns Try Hours trucking - Doug (not a slave to fashion... ha!ha!). He seemed an easy going sort.

posted by madjack on Jan 29, 2013 at 07:03:13 pm     #

I've been job hunting since October. In that time I have had 3 interviews. Good luck :(

posted by OhioKimono on Jan 30, 2013 at 03:43:30 am     #

OhioKimono - What feild are you looking for work in? Are you a graphic designer? I've forgotten.

posted by Molsonator on Jan 30, 2013 at 10:08:18 am     #

feild = field w/o coffee

posted by Molsonator on Jan 30, 2013 at 10:09:04 am     #

Thank you everyone for the advice. I will pass this along to him. He has 20 apps out already and I will have him update his linked in account asap. Thanks again!!!!

posted by irelandsaiorse on Jan 30, 2013 at 09:00:36 pm     #

I'm looking for a variety of positions. Marketing coordinator, admin assistant with marketing elements, hotel front desk, inside sales....

The job hunt the past few months has been depressing and frustrating.

posted by OhioKimono on Jan 31, 2013 at 12:31:20 am     #

OhioKimono - There is a job opening I saw on the Advertising Club of Toledo's site for a traffic manager - http://adclubtoledo.org/career-opportunities/ Maybe right down your alley.

posted by Molsonator on Jan 31, 2013 at 10:40:29 am     #

OhioKimono, did you get the unemployment benefits straightened out?

posted by tm2 on Jan 31, 2013 at 11:05:28 am     #

Here you OK - I have a couple of friends who work there any like the company.

posted by SensorG on Jan 31, 2013 at 11:16:39 am     #

Copy and paste the entire link line...

posted by SensorG on Jan 31, 2013 at 11:17:28 am     #

Thanks! Following up! I got unemployment sorted out - the former employer outright lied to unemployment. Thank God I have unemployment.

posted by OhioKimono on Jan 31, 2013 at 04:48:24 pm     #

OhioKimono, I'm glad that at least that worked out for you. Good luck with the job search.

posted by tm2 on Feb 01, 2013 at 09:09:39 am     #

OhioKimono: Good luck! I hope you find something soon!!

posted by irelandsaiorse on Feb 03, 2013 at 09:44:58 pm     #

OhioKimono - I just sent you a PM that might be a good fit for you.

posted by idinspired on Feb 03, 2013 at 11:07:46 pm     #

I honestly don't intend to sound blunt, but the best opportunity for a job is to move out of Northwest Ohio. Companies don't want to move into an area heavily controlled by unions. Now the have the options of going to right-to-work states like Indiana and Michigan.

If you can move, I would. There's no future (and certainly not in manufacturing) in the Toledo area.

posted by Elva on Feb 04, 2013 at 12:49:36 pm     #   1 person liked this

Oh, stop it. The move to RTW in Michigan won't bring any jobs that aren't of the Walmart variety, if any at all. The fear mongering is devoid of facts.

posted by researcher on Feb 04, 2013 at 12:53:03 pm     #   1 person liked this

researcher posted at 11:53:03 AM on Feb 04, 2013:

Really?? I wonder if the expansion of GM's powertrain plant in Pontiac and close its Windsor plant was affected by RTW policy in any way.

posted by Linecrosser on Feb 04, 2013 at 01:19:52 pm     #

GM is moving engineering work from four sites, including leased facilities in Wixom; Castleton, Ind., near Indianapolis; and Torrance, Calif., near Los Angeles. The company's propulsion systems research lab at the Warren Tech Center also will relocate to Pontiac. GM will end leases at three facilities and employees will join about 3,500 who work in the complex now.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130131/AUTO0103/301310380#ixzz2Jx5IMbF5

posted by Linecrosser on Feb 04, 2013 at 01:21:15 pm     #

Linecrosser posted at 12:19:52 PM on Feb 04, 2013:
researcher posted at 11:53:03 AM on Feb 04, 2013:

Yes, it's absolutely unheard of for GM, of all companies, to add jobs in Michigan.

posted by researcher on Feb 04, 2013 at 01:39:32 pm     #

Ohiokimono: I sent you a pm to a link for a Marketing position!

posted by stooks on Feb 04, 2013 at 02:13:22 pm     #