Am I losing my mind, or was there a post here about the 1st day of Spring?

Seriously. I swear that I saw a post here during the past 24 hours about March 1st and the first day of Spring.

Did anyone else see it? It's making me nuts.

created by gamegrrl on Jan 28, 2013 at 02:26:39 pm     Outdoors     Comments: 13

You've clearly lost your mind

posted by upso on Jan 28, 2013 at 02:38:54 pm     #   1 person liked this

Or AC got it knocked to politics.

posted by Linecrosser on Jan 28, 2013 at 02:43:29 pm     #

Ha!

posted by Molsonator on Jan 28, 2013 at 02:46:41 pm     #

I love you guys :-)

posted by gamegrrl on Jan 28, 2013 at 02:51:23 pm     #

Yes, in my comment yesterday in the thread Partial WTOL Newscast During Blizzard of '78.

The first day of spring, March 1, is only 33 days away. Meteorologists, ornithologists, and probably some other ologists measure the seasons by the first day of the month each quarter.

It makes more sense for our area, anyway. We generally have more winter in the first 21 days of December than we do in the first 21 days of March. And in most years around here, winter "ends" by mid to late February. Nature shows signs of spring during the last half of February.

posted by jr on Jan 28, 2013 at 04:21:22 pm     #

yep - heard robins this morning

posted by justareviewer on Jan 28, 2013 at 06:18:16 pm     #

Some of the tulips in my yard are sprouting.

posted by deere1 on Jan 28, 2013 at 07:08:38 pm     #

Some of the tulips in my yard are sprouting.

It looks like that'll stop by Thursday (High temp: 23)...

Fun January so far...55 degrees some days...4 on others...

posted by oldhometown on Jan 28, 2013 at 07:12:23 pm     #

justareviewer posted at 05:18:16 PM on Jan 28, 2013:

yep - heard robins this morning

American Robins can be found in the Toledo area every winter. The ones that nest in our area go south for the winter. The ones that winter in our area nest well to the north.

Dense wooded areas with some spring-fed water and fruit trees or bushes can support robins in the winter in Toledo. They move around, searching for food, so it's possible to see them occasionally in other areas of the city. A few weeks ago, several robins hung around our home briefly.

posted by jr on Jan 28, 2013 at 07:17:55 pm     #

Com-Tech campus always had robins all year. They were always on the ground around that dense brush along the driveway off of Hill back in the 80's. Never saw any in 34 years at the other house, but I saw one out this way about 2 weeks ago, Walbridge Rd, just east of Woodville, he flew across in front of me and landed on a patch of snow, lol. I was like, dude, gtfo! :D

posted by nana on Jan 28, 2013 at 11:38:46 pm     #

Thank you, jr! Now I feel slightly less insane :-)

posted by gamegrrl on Jan 29, 2013 at 12:15:47 am     #

From one of the other National Weather Service offices in Ohio:

Public Information Statement
Statement as of 12:25 am EST on January 29, 2013

February is the last month of the winter season. While it is
typically cold with some wintry precipitation at times... the weather
can begin to show signs of Spring especially toward the end of the
month.

At Columbus... the normal high temperature begins in the upper 30s
(38 degrees) and moderates to the mid 40s by the end of the month.
Normal lows start out in the lower 20s(23 degrees) and rise into the
upper 20s by the end of the month. Normal precipitation is 2.25
inches with snowfall averaging 6.3 inches.

What is the forecast for February 2013? The climate prediction
center expects temperatures to be at or slightly below normal while
precipitation should be near normal.

posted by jr on Jan 29, 2013 at 06:31:20 am     #

I've been driving a lot the past 2 weeks and can't believe how many large flocks of birds are migrating.

Perhaps an early summer?