Bar food in Toledo

Tim & Ed's Bar and Grill at 719 Bush near Erie has excellent burgers and great home cooked dinners every Sunday starting around $9 that can feed at least 2 people. What other bar food gems should I sample here in Toledo?

created by milesdriven on Jan 31, 2013 at 09:07:30 am     Food     Comments: 36

source      versions      1 person liked this

The Centre Court Lounge at Heatherdowns and Holland you can get a ˝ pound hand pressed cheeseburger, tater tots and three Yuenglings is $12 + tip.

I often get my burger on there as it’s the closest bar to my house. The place is pretty divey inside, but the good and bartender

posted by SensorG on Jan 31, 2013 at 09:50:18 am     #

That's a pretty rough neighborhood!

posted by upso on Jan 31, 2013 at 09:50:26 am     #

whoops, posted same time as sensor.

posted by upso on Jan 31, 2013 at 09:50:47 am     #

Doc Watson-While no secret, has really good bar food. The Thibert and the Chicken Rasta Philly are both badass. Oh, the hot/cold dip-stupid and addictive. Ottawa Tavern and Dale's in Maumee have fantastic burgers. Trotter's Tavern is surprisingly good.

posted by ahmahler on Jan 31, 2013 at 10:50:32 am     #

As a Southender - Doc's, Trotters and Dales are frequent hangouts, along with the Burger Bar and Shawn’s, but a burger, fries and 3 beers will run your $20-25 easy in those places.

posted by SensorG on Jan 31, 2013 at 11:00:20 am     #

I have always been partial to these places for bar food (Hamburger)

Berger's (Laskey Road)
Moe's (Rossford)
Nick & Jimmy's
4 Horsemen

Back in the day, OB's & Happy Hour had a good one.

posted by Hoops on Jan 31, 2013 at 11:42:38 am     #

City Hall
315 S. Reynolds

I have nothing but good to say about the place. In fact we had drinks and dinner there last night. They have a really busy, lively bar with great pub food along with a restaurant menu and seating area. You can socialize and munch in the bar with a group of friends or bring a big group for a dinner or have dinner in the bar. The patrons are a really nice group of folks. The owner is almost alway there and he knows our drink preferences.

posted by holland on Jan 31, 2013 at 12:15:11 pm     #

I'm on the same page as Hoops. Berger's and 4 Horsemen. Happy Hour is my favorite bar burger at the moment. My favorite bar food item was the The Lenny, toasted bagel, cream cheese,salami and corned beef, at The Tropics. The Tropics recently closed though. All of these places you can get a burger and a few beers, bottle or draft for about ten bucks, before tip.

posted by TrilbyGuy on Jan 31, 2013 at 12:27:23 pm     #

I'm with Holland on City Hall. However for us West-Enders, Abe's (the owner of City Hall) brother owns Zacharaya's on Alexis (near Elbo Room). Pretty similar menu. Not usually as crowded as City Hall, and the customers tend to be middle aged and up. Both places tie with 4-Horsemen for my favorite burger. If any of you remember Timko's, they used to have a burger called The Harvester, which was ground round on toasted pumpernickel. I order my burger at Zach's/City Hall just like that, cooked medium, with cheddar. Takes me back 20 years....

posted by llz on Jan 31, 2013 at 01:16:30 pm     #

No kidding! We'll have to get over to Zacharaya's when we're out that way. Thanks llz

posted by holland on Jan 31, 2013 at 01:56:52 pm     #

Another vote for City Hall. As a bonus, the place is kept spotless.

posted by Foodie on Jan 31, 2013 at 02:54:24 pm     #

Zacharaya's is the same way. In fact I've seen Mike (Abe's brother) walk around and adjust the salt and pepper shakers on the table so that they are "just so". Their family has owned that restaurant for at least 30 years. It used to be called Berdoni's years ago, though I was never there under that name.

posted by llz on Jan 31, 2013 at 03:08:48 pm     #

Doc's has pretty good sandwiches, the DeCarlo for one, pita pizzas, wings, chili. South End Grille has as good a burger as anyone, if not better. I think they still have $2 off burger Wednesdays. We have had a few good experiences at the Durty Bird downtown, but as many so-so ones. The Blarney, meh.

posted by mjcozy on Jan 31, 2013 at 06:43:42 pm     #

House of Eats at the Bier Stube awesome food excellent selection of beer

posted by savah1128 on Jan 31, 2013 at 07:23:44 pm     #

While out of the way for some of you. Moes in Rossford has some pretty good burgers and such.

posted by lfrost2125 on Jan 31, 2013 at 07:26:35 pm     #

Dale's in Maumee is very good.

Bar 145 on Monroe is good too, though on the pricey side.

posted by someguy23475 on Jan 31, 2013 at 07:39:23 pm     #

I'm addicted the the burger topped with bacon, cheese and pulled pork at the Durty Bird. It's an indulgence that is becoming a weekly occurrence now. Dale's is also a favorite when I'm across town.

posted by Brewster on Jan 31, 2013 at 09:16:54 pm     #

Another vote for Doc's here. The hot/cold dip is crazygood.

I've heard great things about Chuck's on Monroe St's sandwiches being good but can't speak to it first hand.

posted by taliesin52 on Feb 01, 2013 at 12:59:11 am     #

The Lenny was named after one of my relatives-by-marriage!

posted by mom2 on Feb 01, 2013 at 12:02:07 pm     #

TrilbyGuy posted at 11:27:23 AM on Jan 31, 2013:

I moved out of that neighborhood some years ago, but was a regular at the Tropics in the early 90s. The Lenny was awesome. My favorite was probably the Tropic burger. The Tropics lasted longer than I thought that it would, having been there the night that Rick was shot back in 94.

posted by justread on Feb 01, 2013 at 03:14:07 pm     #

I tried Moe's for the first time today. Wow, was that a great burger! And a great price to boot. I didn't think good deals really existed anymore.

posted by Brewster on Feb 01, 2013 at 05:51:36 pm     #   2 people liked this

I've been going there for their burgers since I was knee high to a grasshopper and my uncle used to take me up there for a Flaming Moe burger.

posted by lfrost2125 on Feb 01, 2013 at 06:08:35 pm     #

Moes is also one of the few establishments that have been able to stick around in Rossford.

posted by lfrost2125 on Feb 01, 2013 at 06:09:43 pm     #

I would have to say Moe's has a pretty good burger and people were very friendly. For me I rather get it at Dale's because it's closer and usually get it togo. If was sitting and eating I think I wouldn't mind eating at Moe's.

posted by EvilFoodie on Feb 03, 2013 at 12:10:27 pm     #

Oh, lest we forget- Swig is one of the best restaurants ( bar or otherwise) in the area with it's perfect take on bar food- their smoked tenderloin sammich is probably the best sandwich in town- actual Chicago dogs, beer cheese pretzel dip. We tried to get in Friday and line was out the door. Also- mutz has really really good food. Their Mac n cheese and home made corned beef rock.

posted by ahmahler on Feb 03, 2013 at 03:14:26 pm     #

If you like the burgers at Moe's, try some of their chicken chunks (Moe Balls). Definitely some of the better ones in the area.

posted by brainswell on Feb 04, 2013 at 09:55:11 am     #   1 person liked this

Not in Toledo but Reverends in BG is tops in my book for bar food and a darn good draft selection to.

posted by In_vin_veritas on Feb 04, 2013 at 07:44:13 pm     #

Where is Reverends ?? Never heard of it.

posted by Hoops on Feb 05, 2013 at 08:43:12 am     #

@ Hoops it's on Wooster between Main and the City parking

posted by In_vin_veritas on Feb 05, 2013 at 10:25:15 am     #

Moe's is quite good. The burgers alone are worth the 20 min (or less) minute drive from just about anywhere in the Toledo area. The Flaming Moe Burger is the bigger burger, but I prefer the 2 regular hamburgers. Somehow, those taste better. fwiw....find another place (less Fricker's in Maumee)where you can get a beer for $2.50.

And yes, it's a typical dive bar....but spots like this are gold, especially when you can "one up" your buddies by uncovering this gem.

posted by BulldogBuckeye on Feb 05, 2013 at 12:24:17 pm     #

719 Bush near Erie, you say? Yeah.....sorry, not interested in speed walking to and from my car in fear of getting jacked and becoming a footnote to another Blade story about an abandoned dog.

posted by BulldogBuckeye on Feb 05, 2013 at 12:35:58 pm     #

I live a few blocks from Four Horsemen. They have an awesome burger, and its usually on special Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

posted by Tobias on Feb 06, 2013 at 07:47:15 am     #   1 person liked this

Tim & Ed's? Wow. Keep your eyes closed while you're eating there. Definitely a dive bar with character, but I wouldn't eat there.

posted by 6th_Floor on Feb 07, 2013 at 04:35:56 am     #   1 person liked this

anybody ever been to Little Sheba's on Alexis? I hear good things, but dont know...

posted by billy on Feb 07, 2013 at 01:35:26 pm     #