Karl Rove to oppose Teabaggers

The organizers of American Crossroads hope to bring electoral victory to the Republican Party by defeating unelectable tea party candidates in GOP primary races. The new super PAC, called the Conservative Victory Project, will be run by American Crossroads president Steven Law and is supported by former Bush political adviser Karl Rove.

“There is a broad concern about having blown a significant number of races because the wrong candidates were selected,” Law told the New York Times on Saturday. “We don’t view ourselves as being in the incumbent protection business, but we want to pick the most conservative candidate who can win.”

The Victory Project plans to oppose candidates like Christine O’Donnell, Todd Akin and Richard Mourdock. Though running in places where Republicans were favored, the tea party-backed candidates lost the general election after defeating moderate Republicans in the primary. Many tea party candidates who were victorious in 2010, such as Allen West and Joe Walsh, also ended up being defeated by Democratic challengers in 2012.

a.k.a. Karl Rove says he's gonna force primary contests against any actual conservatives from the Tea Party.

Rep. Steve King (R-IA), who has a history of incendiary comments about immigrants, could be one of the organization’s first targets, according to Law. The ultra-conservative Republican indicated last month that he was seriously considering running for the U.S. Senate in 2014.

Conservative groups have blasted the new initiative, and were quick to note that moderate Republicans fared no better than tea party candidates in 2012.

"Karl Rove and his crew are RINOs!"

“The Conservative Defeat Project is yet another example of the Republican establishment’s hostility toward its conservative base,” said Matt Hoskins of the Senate Conservatives Fund said. “Rather than listening to the grassroots and working to advance their principles, the establishment has chosen to declare war on its party’s most loyal supporters. If they keep this up, the Republican Party will remain in the wilderness for decades to come.”

"The GOP is at war with the actual conservatives and is going to be at war with the actual conservatives when they must become even more conservative to win elections."

... meanwhile, AC sits back with a cold one and a bag of pretzels to watch the fun... enjoy losing, you pile of losers!

created by anonymouscoward on Feb 03, 2013 at 10:33:13 pm     Politics     Comments: 20

Carl Rove and the people who pay his bills have been President for about the last 40 years, big deal.

posted by dbw8906 on Feb 04, 2013 at 07:48:52 am     #

pretty natural reaction... it will be interesting viewing. rove has shown himself to be pragmatic and effective so it doesn't give me much comfort that the republicans might be getting their act together on this. let us not forget, we dems won more votes in congressional house elections yet we remain in the minority - districts with democrats in office tend to be MORE safe democrat (have a higher % of like-minded voters) than where republicans won congressional seats. therefore in many seats that tea-party republicans lost, a moderate republican might very well tend to be closer to the majority of voters than a liberal democrat. it was in the republicans hubris of gerrymandering and then nominating very conservative candidates that they actually hurt themselves.

the real challenge is for us democrats to have a strategy for getting state house seats and majoritites back throughout the country. strong national organization helping message and ensure strong state and local organizations... in other words, the lucas county democratic party is of no help.

posted by enjoyeverysandwich on Feb 04, 2013 at 10:08:15 am     #   2 people liked this

The real challenge for you democratz, is to stop being an assortment of wackos' and weenie-whiners.

posted by Wulf on Feb 04, 2013 at 11:24:46 am     #

LOL rawstory is your source? Why didn't mother jones do the article? It couldn't break their one source rule. LOL

But seriously, since the GOP is now stealing the elections this means the primary will determine who gets what seat right? LOL too funny.

Why aren't you posting their other content?

For those unfamiliar with rawstory here's other headlines currently on their front page:
Post-Superbowl misogyny
Should domestic cats be erradicated?
Military provides inadequate care for sexual assault victims

Sounds like a real place I would draw my news from.

No more complaints about FNC if this is what you intend to post from now on.

posted by MikeyA on Feb 04, 2013 at 11:27:02 am     #

Wulf posted at 10:24:46 AM on Feb 04, 2013:

You should really stop with the projecting.

posted by anonymouscoward on Feb 04, 2013 at 11:31:19 am     #

anonymouscoward posted at 10:31:19 AM on Feb 04, 2013:
Wulf posted at 10:24:46 AM on Feb 04, 2013:

You should really stop with the projecting.

Why, do you own the trademark?

posted by justread on Feb 04, 2013 at 12:10:59 pm     #

What still amazes me, is when you hear of some right nutjob whining that something isn't fair, such as the guy that argued his kid should not have to say god during the pledge of allegiance in his school (who didn't even have custody)the rest of the liberals jump up and down and cheer. So we have a thing that I like to call "whine loud enough and get your way". So we have all these instances where the liberals get things changed because of 1 or a small group of the majority.
Yet let a conservative complain about 0bamacare, and no show of support for it what so ever. I know that there are more than a few who despise and oppose 0bamacare, some would say according to polls a majority don't like it.

So my question is why does 1 or a small group of liberals get his way and a large number of people can't get theirs?

posted by Linecrosser on Feb 04, 2013 at 01:30:07 pm     #

Linecrosser posted at 12:30:07 PM on Feb 04, 2013:

Because the courts looked at the Constitution and decided that the "liberals" were right in their arguments.

Cry more, Liney.

posted by anonymouscoward on Feb 04, 2013 at 02:51:12 pm     #

Please oh please GOP, go have a civil war amongst yourselves and split into two or more parties. I'll just sit here with my bowl of popcorn.

posted by anonymouscoward on Feb 04, 2013 at 04:15:38 pm     #

Let's be fair, LC. I think ALL sides have gotten their share of spoils from the "whine loud enough and get your way" strategy over the years.

posted by Sohio on Feb 04, 2013 at 04:43:19 pm     #

Is this a civil war or a circular firing squad or a way for Rove to get back into the good graces, er pockets, of his big money donors? Whatever, its going to be great fun.

The outcome will be interesting, as it always is, when the R's rely on magical thinking for strategy. I'm thinking of that classic piece of TV where Rove tried to say Ohio was still a possible win for Romney.

posted by holland on Feb 04, 2013 at 05:19:08 pm     #   1 person liked this

we still got 0bamacare and I will scream in a shrill voice if it helps get rid of it.

posted by Linecrosser on Feb 04, 2013 at 05:42:27 pm     #

Linecrosser posted at 04:42:27 PM on Feb 04, 2013:

Can you demonstrate how you've been hurt and/or helped by it?

posted by researcher on Feb 04, 2013 at 05:47:08 pm     #

Not yet, wait till everyone will have to have it inn 2014 or get a penalty administered by the kinder more caring IRS.

posted by Linecrosser on Feb 04, 2013 at 07:25:28 pm     #

Sounds like unnecessary hysteria to me...

posted by researcher on Feb 04, 2013 at 07:27:52 pm     #   2 people liked this

I hope the Republican party eats it self like some cannibalistic zombie, except it would go hungry because the party is devoid of "BRAINS!"

The Republican party stands for nothing anymore, they have no principles just a platform, a platform that is from a 1978 playbook that they refuse to put down.

posted by dbw8906 on Feb 05, 2013 at 08:57:15 am     #   1 person liked this

dbw8906 posted at 07:57:15 AM on Feb 05, 2013:

Are you sure you didn't mistype "1789"? From the sound of everything coming out of their mouths, they only care about free land-owning white men.

posted by anonymouscoward on Feb 05, 2013 at 09:41:17 am     #

anonymouscoward posted at 08:41:17 AM on Feb 05, 2013:
dbw8906 posted at 07:57:15 AM on Feb 05, 2013:

Possibly, but they will not let go of the psycho-billy Religious Rant they have been one since 78. It worked ONE TIME with Regan, that it, give it up. I'm for prayer in schools (if the students wish to participate on an individual level), but I'm not for it being being shoved down our gullets by the State. The most Christian President ever, Jimmy Carter is hated by the Jesus Tea Party. While I wasn't the biggest fan of his economics nor his horribly short sighted cabinet picks, he probley held the most "Christ" like views of any President and the religious right hated him. He didn't even have booze in the White House.

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution, or that have failed their purpose, or that impose on the people an unwarranted financial burden. I will not attempt to discover whether legislation is "needed" before I have first determined whether it is constitutionally permissible. And if I should later be attacked for neglecting my constituents' "interests," I shall reply that I was informed that their main interest is liberty and that in that cause I am doing the very best I can. - Barry Goldwater

posted by dbw8906 on Feb 06, 2013 at 04:18:28 pm     #

Forgot the best one...

I think every good Christian ought to kick Falwell right in the ass. - Barry Goldwater

posted by dbw8906 on Feb 06, 2013 at 04:25:02 pm     #