Inside Scoop on Phoenix Coop?

After reading about coffee on another thread, I took my butt over to the Phoenix food coop on Sylvania Ave. and bought a few things. (Thanks TT for the reminder). Their website indicates that they made a bid to move into the old Brewed Awakenings coffee shop on Central but the deal fell through. Does anyone have any insight into the workings of this place? I'm just curious -- it looks like they are staying alive, but it's by no means an attractive store. I'd love to see them flourish.

created by viola on Feb 06, 2013 at 06:21:14 pm     Food     Comments: 8

I have no inside scoops. But, as a former member, I know there was a huge push on a couple of years ago for us to contribute some rather substantial dollars to keep them afloat.

I'd have to think that the former Brewed Awakenings location would work out better for them. Closer to the clientele that would partronize them and better exposure IMHO. Would certainly be handy for me as I'm in the Westgate area several times a week and would make them my last stop before hitting the x-way for home.

posted by Foodie on Feb 06, 2013 at 10:31:31 pm     #

Viola how was the selection of food there I check out there website as well having seen the mention of the dairy products in the coffee thread, but havn't had a chance to make it in. I've been looking for a good source for non homginized milk since churhills quite carying the brand I had been getting.

posted by In_vin_veritas on Feb 07, 2013 at 10:21:39 am     #

I bought the only half-and-half they had. There were a few small glass bottles of milk, one that was labelled Calder Dairy, and some goat stuff. (I was only looking for coffee cream so I didn't study everything).

With other specialty stores around town I've noticed that the best selection is to be found a day or so after their delivery ... when it all runs out, the faithful clientele know to wait for the next truck. So shopping there is kind of a lifestyle commitment and not necessarily convenient.

They have a great selection of herbs and the produce looked good (very glossy and substantial). I am ambivalent about the idea of flying in all the organic produce from the West Coast when we have fresh fruit available from local orchards ... but I know some people need the assurance that no chemicals have been used.

posted by viola on Feb 07, 2013 at 10:38:28 am     #

Viloa thanks hopefully I'll get a chance to stop in and check it out this weekend.

posted by In_vin_veritas on Feb 07, 2013 at 10:59:39 am     #

Check out their granola blends (if you're a fan) - they have a very tasty assortment.

posted by Foodie on Feb 07, 2013 at 11:20:27 am     #

"But, as a former member, I know there was a huge push on a couple of years ago for us to contribute some rather substantial dollars to keep them afloat."

That was back in 2008. We attended their "emergency" meeting in August 2008, and that fall, we contributed money to help them reorganize. Back then, I thought the co-op would not survive, but it has.

For several years, the co-op has wanted to move from its current location. The store has experienced some crime/vandalism. I learned a few years ago, that the zip code that produces the most co-op customers is the one that covers the Westgate area, I think. Anyway, they wanted to move the store a bit further west.

In the middle of the last decade when the DeVeaux Village Shopping Center at Sylvania and Douglas was nearly empty, the co-op wanted to move to that location, but they could not afford it.

In May 2012, the co-op board surveyed members to find a new location. The three choices were:

• 2636 W. CENTRAL Ave , Toledo, OH 43606 West of Douglas (Brewed Awakenings)
  • 2030 S. BYRNE St., Toledo, OH 43614 (Cooper Florist)
  • 2903 DORR St., Toledo, OH 43607 (Rocket Center)

I don't know what happened to the Brewed Awakenings location, and I don't know their current status about moving. We've been shopping at the co-op for over 10 years, so I guess I'm used to their current location.

A brief bit of info from my 2007 comment

When shopping at the co-op, they offer you the choice of bagging your purchases in plastic, paper, or box. We also take our own canvas bags to bag up our stuff. The co-op sells many items in bulk, so you have the choice of bringing in your own containers and filling up on such things as olive oil, peanut butter, honey, herbs, spices, grains, coffee beans, loose-leaf teas, flours, nuts, and even shampoo and conditioner.

Bring your own container, get it weighed, then fill it. If you don't bring your own container, the store offers small plastic bags, paper sacks, and plastic containers to fill with items from the bulk bins and jars.

Info from their old website about what the co-op offers:

• Fresh organic and local produce
  • Organic, bulk beans, grains, pastas and flours
  • Dried unsulphered fruits and nuts
  • Free range, local and organic eggs
  • rBGH-free, local and organic dairy products
  • Cold-pressed oils, some in bulk
  • Maple syrup, barley malt, molasses and honey
  • Dairy- and wheat-free foods for the allergic
  • Organic, bulk herbs and spices
  • Fairly traded coffees and teas
  • Bulk peanut and nut butters
  • Frozen entrees, organic fruits and vegetables, organic meats and meat substitutes
  • Vitamins and supplements.

Their current website contains a detailed listing of what they offer.

posted by jr on Feb 07, 2013 at 12:32:16 pm     #

Good grief - 2008? Grandma was right - the older you get, the faster time flies!

posted by Foodie on Feb 07, 2013 at 01:08:55 pm     #

I do not shop there but the major construction the last couple of years on Sylvania Avenue had to hurt every business in that area. It was almost impossible to get to any business on Sylvania Avenue between Jackman and Lewis last summer.

posted by jackie on Feb 07, 2013 at 01:14:03 pm     #