Looking for a professional wall rat

Anyone know of someone or some company who can do the following: mount a flat screen above a gas fireplace; run all the wires - direct tv, apple tv, power and surround sound through the wall so that no wires are visible, etc. My mantle looks like its covered in spaghetti and the hearth looks like a surge protector storage. Is there a local company that can do something like this without recommending a multi thousand dollar upgrade to my audio/video situation?

created by Progress22 on Feb 07, 2013 at 02:12:54 pm     Home     Comments: 8

You do realize that mounting a flat screen above a fireplace is not recommended?

That said, I'd give Jamieson's a call. If they don't install what they didn't sell, perhaps they can recommend someone else.

posted by Foodie on Feb 07, 2013 at 02:24:40 pm     #

There is now a consensus in the industry that flat screens above a fireplace, in most cases, are fine in terms of overheating. The problem is viewing angle. You need to be quite close to get 1080i/p lines perceived. You end up looking up and fatiguing the neck muscles. Too far back and you cannot get the full HD rez perception.

Above the fireplace is typically a style choice.

That said, these is a home theater place on centenial in sylvania that does such work. Gotta look up their info.

posted by Star56 on Feb 07, 2013 at 02:37:24 pm     #

Bigelow A/V
419-842-0420

posted by Hoops on Feb 07, 2013 at 02:51:11 pm     #

From Home Theater Magazine: scroll down to read the comment from Rob Sabin, the current editor.

posted by Foodie on Feb 07, 2013 at 04:39:44 pm     #

Transtar Technologies

posted by Bruno on Feb 07, 2013 at 07:11:53 pm     #

Thanks for the tips folks. Foodie, I appreciate your input; I just have a big room with a centered fireplace and high ceilings. I really don't like the look of a t.v. next to the fireplace whether it is on a shelf, a wall or an armoire. Gotta have that balance. Probably should just throw the damn thing out.

posted by Progress22 on Feb 07, 2013 at 08:35:27 pm     #

We've had our plasma above our fireplace for 4 years. No problems.

I ran the wires myself though, so I'm no help.

posted by slowsol on Feb 07, 2013 at 09:02:03 pm     #

Nothing says you can't have your TV above the fireplace. I thought his suggestion of measuring the temp when the fireplace is in use was a good one - just to be sure.

Even at today's competitive TV prices, you don't want to toast the darn thing.

As for "throwing the damn thing out" - well, always an option. There's precious little worth watching anyway.

posted by Foodie on Feb 08, 2013 at 07:48:59 am     #