Speaking of Meteor's. What do ya think this is?

My husband found this embedded in a field where Fallen Timbers now stands many years ago. I'm sure it isn't from the sky but what could it be?
A few more Pics can be found here.

created by SherryET on Feb 16, 2013 at 07:17:17 pm     Other     Comments: 20

Compare to pictures of found meteorites online, google images probably. The strong blue color makes me doubt it for that sample. Is it glassy?

posted by GuestZero on Feb 16, 2013 at 07:33:40 pm     #

I have to say that the blue part feels more plastic than glass. It feels more heavy than plastic. It reminds me sorta like my old bowling ball. Same color. Maybe is an old broken bowling ball and rock formed around it.

I have looked at pics of meteorites and found that this does not look like any of them. I found this guy to be a real hoot! http://meteorites.wustl.edu/realities.htm

Sorry about the blurry picture, I didn't have my glasses on when I took it. :)

posted by SherryET on Feb 16, 2013 at 07:52:23 pm     #

Being a native of Rossford I used to find stuff like that around the old L.O.F Dump sight by where the Rossford Marina is now. We used to find it across the street where the old General Mills plant was and it was nothing but a big hole and was filled in with glass scraps from LOF

posted by lfrost2125 on Feb 16, 2013 at 09:00:24 pm     #

yah, it looks like slag to me. google slag glass and check the images.

posted by nana on Feb 16, 2013 at 09:32:51 pm     #

Site not sight

posted by lfrost2125 on Feb 16, 2013 at 09:38:53 pm     #

Yep, looks like waste glass cullet. I've got a couple of chunks from the furnace in the old hot shop at the Museum that look similar.

Given enough time in the dirt the glass will crizzle and change it's composition on the outside.

posted by prairieson on Feb 17, 2013 at 12:55:59 am     #   1 person liked this

Wait. I'm a little hazy on glass dynamics. You're saying the dirt in the glass will start deforming the surface into crumpled roughness, hence "crizzle"? Glass should be too stiff for that to work. Shattering, I can believe. Crizzling, nope.

posted by GuestZero on Feb 17, 2013 at 02:56:11 am     #

You're correct, the glass isn't deformed, it "rots", in a manner of speaking.

Extended exposure to moisture could cause the surface of poorly formulated glass to leech out some of the chemicals in the glass. If the glass is buried, these chemicals could possibly combine with minerals in the soil and crust up on the cullet.

posted by prairieson on Feb 17, 2013 at 09:23:35 am     #

Clearly a Boeing bomb. Google it.

posted by a_fan on Feb 17, 2013 at 10:08:43 am     #

posted by historymike on Feb 17, 2013 at 10:24:56 am     #   2 people liked this

That's some funny shit Historymike!

posted by SherryET on Feb 17, 2013 at 12:03:47 pm     #

Oh, I see, Prairieson. You're talking about a combination of chemical migration and cementing. Thanks.

posted by GuestZero on Feb 17, 2013 at 04:10:15 pm     #

Slag glass is the best guess coming from Mrs. Molsonator who has dealings in this discipline.

posted by Molsonator on Feb 17, 2013 at 04:47:40 pm     #

Space Patty from the cow that jumped over the moon.

posted by max on Feb 17, 2013 at 05:07:04 pm     #

How did it get in a farm field? Why does it feel more like plastic than glass?

It must have jumped over the Blue mooon.

posted by SherryET on Feb 17, 2013 at 05:27:26 pm     #

Prolly slag illegally dumped

posted by OhioKimono on Feb 17, 2013 at 07:00:50 pm     #

Carty Finkbeiner's brain?

posted by Elva on Feb 17, 2013 at 09:56:29 pm     #

It's too big to be Carty's brain/

posted by Linecrosser on Feb 18, 2013 at 04:55:07 am     #

I took a close look at it. Sherry, do you want to announce what it is?

posted by GuestZero on Feb 18, 2013 at 10:57:42 pm     #

Its melted plastic from auto plant.

posted by tgarvin on Feb 20, 2013 at 09:57:45 am     #