Fusion at cricket west

fusion is within stumbling distance of the house and i really had hoped it would evolve into a quaint neighborhood place.

it started as a cold sterile mixed drink and sushi place... uncomfortable furniture and decor looking for a much hipper crowd than me... excect people like me are the people going out mostly and spending cash. it put in a couple tvs and brought in some beers so i started going to watch tigers. couple bands, plans to open the walls... then delays... then fizzled.

the owner who i have come across 5 or 6 times is tfd doing this on the side... and not doing it well. every time there appears to be a positive it winds up taking 2 steps back. the owner is rude, arrogant, and clueless...

bummer... when i was a pup i went to the coach house quite a bit and had hoped this might provide a nice comfortable perch for hockey and some live music... i guess i have to keep driving to nicks, the idiot, rockies and docs

created by enjoyeverysandwich on Feb 19, 2013 at 05:16:11 pm     Food     Comments: 10

When I was in college - The Coach House was a place to start at before partying. Loved it.

posted by Molsonator on Feb 19, 2013 at 05:25:51 pm     #

I loved The Coach House! Used to specifically go to hear Ray Peterson. And drink. LOL!

posted by gamegrrl on Feb 19, 2013 at 05:34:37 pm     #

I really enjoyed Fusion when they had the downtown location. Haven't been to the one at Cricket West. Bars in strip malls are always weird to me.

posted by slowsol on Feb 19, 2013 at 08:03:16 pm     #

I've never heard of this place. Is it the same ownership that ran the icecream shop?

posted by upso on Feb 20, 2013 at 12:06:11 am     #

Like the OP, I was hoping that the revamping of this place -- also within stumbling distance of our house -- would be just right for a quick drink and bite to eat.

Not.

Atmosphere is cold, and that has much to do with the decor. Ultra-cool (not "hip, cold-inducing) blues and grays and harsh, unwelcoming lighting in this place. Tried to go for food several times, which they advertise, but they never seemed to have any when I stopped. Maybe that's getting better, but I've since stopped trying.

Also, half-price sushi. Really? I would rather pay full price for, uh, fresh fish.

Dear Fusion: Please, try again. I would still like to make you my corner bar. How about you repaint the place a nice, warm color and have some decent food around?

Upso: Don't know if it's same people, but it's in the same location.

posted by luvtoledo on Feb 20, 2013 at 10:37:25 am     #   1 person liked this

Must be the same people. I recall firefighters running the ice-cream shop as well.

posted by upso on Feb 20, 2013 at 11:03:49 am     #

I used to visit the Cold Fusion Creamery in Cricket West several years ago. Some old posts from Toledo Talk about the ice cream place:

2009

• "Go to Cold Fusion (i think that is the name) in the plaza that calvinos is in...cricket west i believe. It is excellent and it IS locally owned by a firefighter if I am not mistaken." - >>
  • "Cold Fusion is the one I meant. It is owned by a guy who grew up in Point Place and he is a firefighter in Toledo." - >>

2010

• "The Cold Fusion Creamery owner also operated [an ice cream] store for a while on St. Clair Street." - >>
  • "Several years ago, the locally-owned Cold Fusion Creamery owner told me that he was told that chain store Cold Stone Creamery would not enter the Toledo market. When Cold Stone did come in, they legally challenged the Cold Fusion owner because of the name similarities." - >>

posted by jr on Feb 20, 2013 at 11:19:47 am     #

Where is Rocky's now? Does it still sport the rock and roll (album covers) decor? I used to like that place when it was the Westgate hide-a-way joint.

posted by BulldogBuckeye on Feb 20, 2013 at 01:04:54 pm     #

Rocky's is on Secor, just north of Sylvania Ave. Same crowd.

posted by HickoryG on Feb 20, 2013 at 01:14:13 pm     #

gamegrrl - i use to go to see dave browning... big deep voice!

posted by enjoyeverysandwich on Feb 20, 2013 at 07:21:00 pm     #