- Toledo govt didn't seek enough input from local businesses and universities.1
- Since the Jan 2007 announcement, City may be rushing the project.
- Taxpayers could pay over $2 million for the project.2
- MetroFi's business model of offering free service does not make economic sense.3
- MetroFi's main income source is two venture capital firms.
- Advertising alone is not expected to generate enough money to cover installation and maintenance costs.
- Toledo already has dozens of wireless "hot spots" around the city.4
- 2005 study ranked Toledo fifth on the most unwired list.
- Toledo only received two proposals.5
- Access is not available inside homes and apartments.6
- Residents will need to purchase additional hardware to get service.
- Unstable project leadership7
- Director of Toledo’s Department of Information Services quits or was fired Jun 21, 2007.
- Lack of funding support by City Council.8
- Next-gen wireless technology is "right around the corner," which could make WiFi irrelevant.9
1 Feb 18, 2007 Toledo Blade story
2 May 31, 2007 Toledo Blade story
3 Mar 13, 2007 Toledo Blade story
4 Jun 7, 2005 Toledo Talk thread Toledo unwired
5 Feb 21, 2007 Toledo Blade story
6 May 31, 2007 story Cities Struggle With Wireless Internet
7 Jun 22, 2007 Toledo Blade story Toledo Wi-Fi chief quits, then is fired in dispute with mayor
8 Jun 26, 2007 Toledo Blade story Toledo council withholds OK for $2.16M Wi-Fi plan; answers sought to financial, legal concerns
9 Jul 3, 2007 Toronto Star story WiFi revolution hits a snag
- Jun 19, 2007 Buckeye Institute: Caution Warranted on Toledo Wi-Fi
- Jul 19, 2007 WiMax goes mainstream: Sprint, Clearwire to build national network
- Jul 27, 2007 Google, Sprint to team up on WiMax Portal
- Aug 15, 2007 BusinessWeek: Why Wi-Fi Networks Are Floundering
- Aug 28, 2007 AP: Chicago scraps plans for Wi-Fi network
- Aug 29, 2007 State Journal-Register: AT&T cancels citywide Wi-Fi plan
- Aug 30, 2007 SF Chronicle: S.F. citywide Wi-Fi plan fizzles as provider backs off
- Aug 30, 2007 Economist: Reality Bites
- Sep 4, 2007 Wired: What's Behind the Epidemic of Municipal Wi-Fi Failures?