WHAT was that light in the sky????

seems like I only come here when I have a strange story to tell, but this one is stranger than that last one, I promise.

I saw a UFO last night!

It went right over my head, twice, or there were 2 of them, both times in the same path about 10 minutes apart, between 10:30 and 10:45p last night. I cannot say how high, but it looked like it was on fire, like we were looking up at the underside of a hot air balloon with the valve open and it was too dark to see the balloon, but the valve never went off.

It was like no blinking light under a plane or anything I had ever seen before. It moved faster than a hot air balloon would ever be comfortable with but slower than the little 2-seat Cesna my father used to fly. It flew in a steady straight line both times, east to west (we're on the East Side, near Starr and East Broadway).

It was silent, yet close enough to see the flicker of flame, definately flame, looking down on us...my hub, son, and dil all saw it, too. we were in their back yard with a firepit going, not big, and this thing going over us looked like someone had taken their fire pit and turned it upside down and rode it in a straight line across the sky. we were able to see it a good 15 seconds total as it passed over us and out of site to the west.

I shit you not. please explain.

created by nana on May 25, 2008 at 06:47:19 pm     Comments: 11

Sounds like the things I used to make in my younger days. A clear clothing bag from the cleaners, a couple of balsa wood strips and a heat source - making it a 'hot air balloon'.

Often got traffic stopped on the Trail!

posted by GraphicsGuy on May 25, 2008 at 07:11:30 pm     #

it was moving east to west, against the wind and it was moving at a steady pace in a straight line, twice.

posted by nana on May 25, 2008 at 10:34:28 pm     #

Wind currents sometimes move in different directions at different altitudes. I'm not doubting your sighting, and I don't doubt that we've been 'visited', I'm just throwing out some 'possibilities'.

posted by GraphicsGuy on May 26, 2008 at 01:36:12 am     #

Several years ago at night, looking out my kitchen window, I saw a circle of red & blue lights - that just hung still in one spot in the sky for the longest time, then it moved sideways slowly, then, after watching this about 5 minutes, it vanished into thin air. Just gone, no lights, noise, motion. It was quite high in the sky, and other people in my house also saw it. It looked to us, like it was triangular in shape, with this circle of small lights. Never saw anything like it before, or since. Who knows?

posted by starling02 on May 26, 2008 at 09:35:49 pm     #

me thinks someone has been listining to too much George Noory and coast2coastam. LOL

posted by KraZyKat on May 26, 2008 at 10:14:58 pm     #

I believe.

posted by holland on May 27, 2008 at 08:03:49 am     #

Absence of evidence does not mean evidence of absence.

posted by holland on May 27, 2008 at 08:13:27 am     #

Thank you, Holland. and for the record, I don't listen to teh radio freaks, ever.

actually, the more we talked about it, the more we decided we're going with Air National Guard low altitude night maneuvers. If they were cruising low and slow, there wouldn't have been much noise and the fiery emanations could have been afterburners. That also would explain the level steady flight to the west twice on the same trajectory, whether it was one jet or 2.

huh, and you guys thot it was aliens, lol.

posted by nana on May 27, 2008 at 11:13:35 am     #

posted by FatBabe44 on May 27, 2008 at 11:35:24 am     #

If they were using afterburners it would be anything but quiet. It probably was a balloon, only thing that really fits your description. There could have been a different wind direction at the altitude the balloon was at. Not sure why it would be flying over Toledo at night, but im sure from the original description that was what it was.

posted by Linecrosser on May 27, 2008 at 12:42:44 pm     #

This reminds me of that John Travolta movie called Phenomonen. He saw a light in the sky...thought it was a space craft. It ended up that he had a brain tumor and the light was one of the side affects....

posted by Kooz on May 28, 2008 at 03:41:30 pm     #