Found a Cell Phone in the Snow

What to do? It's an older Verizon flip phone, locked and requiring a password to get in to see any owner info. Also it's on low battery after sitting in the snow for a while. My mantra for 2014: WWTTD? [What would Toledo Talkers do?] Thanks.

created by viola on Jan 02, 2014 at 08:32:35 pm     Comments: 8

Take it to a Verizon store, there may be a serial number under the battery or they can pull the sim card and figure out the owner.

posted by INeedCoffee on Jan 02, 2014 at 08:40:59 pm     #   3 people liked this

drop it at a verizon store

posted by ahmahler on Jan 02, 2014 at 08:41:11 pm     #

Good to know. Because it's an old phone, I just assumed that the cell phone salespeople would advise me to throw the darn thing away :-) I'll take it to the store. Thanks!

posted by viola on Jan 03, 2014 at 12:03:51 am     #

Good advice. The folks at the Verizon store should be able to track down the owner.

posted by shamrock44 on Jan 03, 2014 at 12:27:51 am     #

A flip phone!?! The owner probably tossed it in the snow.

posted by mixman on Jan 03, 2014 at 02:27:24 am     #   2 people liked this

I've found 3 phones in the last 2 years in the area. All 3 were still on and luckily had incoming calls that we answered and explained about how we got the phones. All returned to owners, surprisingly. Last one was locked, cause we couldn't access anything, but we were still able to answer an incoming call that led to returning it.

I still wonder how phones end up on the road? A texting driver afraid to get caught and suddenly sees a cop. Then tosses it out the window? lol

posted by hockeyfan on Jan 03, 2014 at 12:16:39 pm     #

mixman posted at 01:27:24 AM on Jan 03, 2014:

A flip phone!?! The owner probably tossed it in the snow.

I temporarily used a flip phone recently. Broke my phone and was just short of being eligible for an upgrade. It was like going back in time!

But there are some people who only want a basic phone without paying for the bells and whistles, and intentionally choose a flip phone. Wasn't there a TT poster recently who asked where they could find a simple cell phone? I remember thinking that I should offer the phone to them when I was done with it.

posted by mom2 on Jan 03, 2014 at 12:37:59 pm     #

A lot of the so called "Obama" phones use older types of phones, like a flip phone. It is very possible that could be this type of phone. I hope that you are able to find the owner.

posted by ToledoLatina on Jan 03, 2014 at 03:44:17 pm     #