3-4 Foot Icicles from Roof

I live in west Toledo off Upton, where a lot of the homes have a shared driveway, as which I do. Two weeks ago, the eaves trough fell off the rental property next door down on to our shared driveway at 6am. Not sure how those renters didn't hear it and jump up to see what was going on. I had to let them know so they would move it so my daughter could back out of our garage for work. (Oh forgot to mention that only our home has the garage, next door only has a grassy yard and shed. And the shared drive is wide enough for a car/truck to drive through) All they did was push it up against their house. My daughter was able to pull out but then a few days later the wind whipped it around the drive, so we called the landlady and she gave an excuse that she didn't live near us and couldn't come over and that her handy man was not able to come over till Monday. She offered to pay my daughter $20 to move it between the shed and our garage. Which my daughter was happy to do for the cash. (has yet to be paid nor did the handyman come over to fix it)

Now fast forward to yesterday, I am out shoveling the sidewalks and the approach and driveway in the front of the house so that my daughter can pull in and shovel the drive way by the garage. I then shovel our half of the drive between the 2 houses, the neighbor comes home and then makes her son come out to shovel that too. But instead he goes and shovels by the garage, since he was being kind, I took it upon myself to shovel his side between the house. We get the job done fairly quick and once up on the porch I'm watching him shovel the snow from his side door and then notice right above his head are icicles 3-4 feet long hanging the length of the roof. I would say there are about 20 of them. I quickly told him to move away and let his mother know so she can call the landlord. After getting in the house, the mother leaves so I call the landlady and she states that she can't do anything about them as she doesn't live near the property and doesn't know what to do. The woman is a realtor and landlord, I'm sure she does, or at least her handy man does. I'm afraid that it could damage the car or hurt one of us while walking to the garage. Any ideas what else I can do?

created by ToledoLatina on Jan 03, 2014 at 08:35:45 pm     Outdoors     Comments: 8

Building inspector? Nuisance Abatement? I really don't know but good luck, kiddo.

posted by nana on Jan 03, 2014 at 10:39:48 pm     #

Thanks Nana, I will call the City on Monday.

posted by ToledoLatina on Jan 03, 2014 at 11:50:58 pm     #

The key word is rental. The renters only live there; they don't have any responsibility for anything because it isn't their house. The landlord doesn't want to deal with it, as this is supposed to be an investment for her that needs little to no supervision. A kind of money generator, in that you buy the house and rent it out, then you get to collect the rent. See?

If it were me, I'd drag the gutter out of the way and leave it. If you're feeling charitable, take a long handled rake or something and knock the icicles down before they fall and do someone a mischief.

This being a rental property, I'm guessing there's a lot more to this than just a gutter and a few icicles.

posted by madjack on Jan 04, 2014 at 02:03:08 pm     #

With the sun today and cold coming tomorrow, they should reach the ground by Monday. Should make taking the potential energy out of them pretty easy.

I'm dying to hear what the city says when you call to report icicles. Please let us know.

posted by justread on Jan 04, 2014 at 02:20:58 pm     #   1 person liked this

Guess we need a "Dangerous Icicle Hotline"

posted by justphillips on Jan 04, 2014 at 02:32:22 pm     #

A huge problem in the Toledo area is "slum lords". This "owner" not being close or not being able to do anything is crap. Those icicles are a big hazard to you, anyone there and property, including cars. Sadly, if your car gets hit by one, I'll bet it will have to be covered by your insurance.

I'm not a lawyer, but I would notify the landlord in some way that you have a record. I'd take pictures and either email her or mail her a certified letter letting her know the gutter fell off and now the icicles are dangerously big and hazardous. I have heard of the people who had their neighbor's tree fall on their house/car. While it could only be covered by the victim's insurance, if they had proof that they warned the owner of the tree beforehand, the tree's owner could be held responsible.

There are too many houses in Toledo that are owned and run by slum lords. They rent the houses and don't care about what happens there in general. While I realize that owners have lost most of their power over tenants, just throwing their hands up and saying, "I live too far away and can't do anything about it" is good enough reason not to own the property in the first place.

I don't know if the city will or can do anything, but if they can't and you want to have an icicle breaking party, let me know. If one of those fall onto a car or person, it will do significant damage.

posted by hockeyfan on Jan 04, 2014 at 05:26:34 pm     #

I'm not a lawyer

That was made obvious here:

posted by justread on Jan 04, 2014 at 06:38:25 pm     #   2 people liked this

I'm surprised you pulled your head out of Bell's arse long enough to post on here.

Don't forget to lube for re-entry

posted by hockeyfan on Jan 04, 2014 at 07:46:13 pm     #