Toledo Talk

Need furnace advice

Our otherwise reliable gas furnace is on strike today! The gas/flames seem to be OK, the air vents to outside are fine. But the blower to heat the house will only run for about 5 minutes every half-hour or so. We have tried turning it off and turning it back on. We have a programmable thermostat with override features. I know there are some HVAC experts on TT -- is there anything we should try?

We're holding steady at 53 degrees with the help of space heaters. I'll probably bake something today to warm up the kitchen (electric stove). Maybe bake A LOT of things. Thanks.

created by viola on Jan 07, 2014 at 08:40:47 am     Comments: 6

source      versions


Comments ... #

Remove the filter and run without it. The overheat sensor might be tripping thinking it is to hot. By removing the filter you will let more air pass through the furnace keeping it slightly cooler.

posted by OldTimer on Jan 07, 2014 at 09:43:20 am     #  

I'm sure you've checked your filter to make sure it doesn't need cleaning or replacing. When a furnace short-cycles like that, it can mean the furnace is overheating. I would have suggested checking the chimney or outside vents, but you said you've checked that. Depending on the age of the furnace, it could also be something like a leaking heat exchanger.

posted by gamegrrl on Jan 07, 2014 at 09:44:13 am     #  

Could also be a flame sensor. We used to have that problem in a rental. I would pull out the flame sensor and clean it with some sandpaper. The furnace worked again. Be very careful though, the sensors are very easily broken.

posted by slowsol on Jan 07, 2014 at 11:24:25 am     #  

Great, thanks for the suggestions. We're on "the list" for a service company to come out. SO glad we have some alternative sources of heat (space heater, freestanding oil-filled radiator). I also baked a casserole for lunch to warm up the kitchen.

BTW I can see down the road to some rental housing. The landlord's car has been coming and going, coming and going, since last night. Poor guy :/

posted by viola on Jan 07, 2014 at 11:44:28 am     #  

^^^Probably knocking down icicles.

posted by slowsol on Jan 07, 2014 at 11:45:04 am     #   4 people liked this

I would suggest fine steel wool on the flame sensor,you don't want to remove the plating from it only clean it up a bit.

posted by jhop on Jan 07, 2014 at 12:42:39 pm     #