Mail Delivery or lack thereof

Any thoughts on mail delivery or lack thereof? I'm not suggesting that
mail men/woman should be walking routes in this wind and cold, but my
route is driven and this is the second day in a row there will be no
delivery (just called the Sylvania post office, and they said no).

The Blade delivery person delivered the paper yesterday and today with
no issues. The Blade is a driven route. Whatever happened to "neither rain, nor snow . . . ."

Just wondering.

created by CatLady on Jan 07, 2014 at 10:17:57 am     News     Comments: 20

I am pretty sure that I am near the end of my carrier's daily route. When she comes, it's around 5pm or later. I usually get 3 or 4 pieces of mail a day. When the weather is bad, I get none, and get 8 pieces the following day. I got no mail yesterday, expect to get none today, and expect to get 12 pieces tomorrow.

Toledo mail has already been slowed at least a day or two for the trip to Detroit and back. What's a few more days?

Like many things in life, it ain't what it used to be.

posted by justread on Jan 07, 2014 at 10:24:55 am     #

I received my mail yesterday at about the usual time in West Toledo.

posted by historymike on Jan 07, 2014 at 10:25:25 am     #

Historymike, is yours a walk or drive route?

posted by CatLady on Jan 07, 2014 at 10:30:32 am     #

I'm in Sylvania Township on a drive route too.

We didn't have mail yesterday, but I wasn't sure if we just didn't get any or if they actually weren't delivering.

Guess I know not to walk out to the mailbox today.

posted by mom2 on Jan 07, 2014 at 10:33:02 am     #

I'm in Sylvania Township on a drive route too.

Guess I know not to walk out to the mailbox today.

posted by mom2 on Jan 07, 2014 at 10:33:03 am     #

We received mail yesterday at the normal time but I'm on a walk route. I felt bad for the mailman, hope he doesn't have to do it again today.

posted by idinspired on Jan 07, 2014 at 10:35:09 am     #

I'm finding much slower delivery since the close of the sorting operation in Toledo and the switch to Detroit for Toledo mail.
This is especially true for packages. Things I ordered online
for Christmas were much slower.

Most of my stuff has package tracking and I could see it going
to Detroit and slowly coming back. Even after it gets to Sylvania, it sits for a day or more before getting delivered.
I've had a package at the Sylvania post office since early Friday morning, and it wasn't delivered Friday or Saturday. I'll be lucky to get it by this coming Friday.

You're right Justread, things sure have changed.

posted by CatLady on Jan 07, 2014 at 10:44:20 am     #

My husband is a mail collector and worked until 7:30 last night. Frozen mailboxes, snow plowed mailboxes, stuck vehicle a few times and non-plowed streets were half his battle, not to mention weather. He wore 3 layers of shirts, 2 heavy coats, 3 pairs of socks, 3 pairs of pants, boots that go up to his knees, 2 hats and he said he was still incredibly cold...wished he could have wore more than 1 pair of gloves he mentioned. Since he does not get a "real lunch" he packs it and eats in his truck. Said by 10:30 all his food was frozen - and that his granola bar literally snapped in 1/2 so therefore, he didn't get to eat either!

I am just glad he survived and that today is his scheduled day off!

posted by ajm00733 on Jan 07, 2014 at 10:52:39 am     #

We received our mail yesterday, and today's mail arrived a few minutes ago.

In the city or at least in West Toledo, the carrier delivers by walking, but obviously, the carrier drives a vehicle to get around.

posted by jr on Jan 07, 2014 at 10:56:27 am     #

I would rather have the Toledo facility open and would understand if they missed a day due to dangerous weather. Dangerous weather would cost us a day once in a while. Closing the Toledo facility costs us 2-3 days all the time.

posted by justread on Jan 07, 2014 at 11:05:17 am     #

I didn't get any mail yesterday and I am glad. No one should have to work in this weather.

posted by slowsol on Jan 07, 2014 at 11:22:02 am     #   5 people liked this

Our mail delivery has been really bad since December. We got a Thanksgiving card a few days before Christmas and most bills arrived less than a week before they were due. We have 2 bills due Jan. 10 and Jan. 12 and we haven't received them yet.

Our route is a walking route and I have spoken to the carrier and he says the problem is due to the Toledo sorting operation being closed.

posted by fgordon on Jan 07, 2014 at 11:35:28 am     #

CatLady posted at 09:30:32 AM on Jan 07, 2014:

Historymike, is yours a walk or drive route?

A walking route in the city.

posted by historymike on Jan 07, 2014 at 11:38:39 am     #

West Toledo -- we got mail yesterday, and a separate Priority Mail package was delivered. Our paper guy plopped the Blade right at our door. Bless everyone involved for making our snow days a little more enjoyable!

posted by viola on Jan 07, 2014 at 11:40:52 am     #

City of Sylvania, drive route. Mail both yesterday and today at the usual time. All junk, of course.

posted by JoeyGee on Jan 07, 2014 at 01:03:46 pm     #

justread posted at 10:05:17 AM on Jan 07, 2014:

I ship packages every day for two different eBay accounts and have seen little if any difference in delivery times. Now I did experience some isolated major delays at Christmas time - nothing that UPS and FedEx didn't admit to, but the USPS wouldn't acknowledge system overload.

Of course that's what he said; that's the union talking points.

posted by MrsArcher on Jan 07, 2014 at 01:15:01 pm     #

I live off Upton near Devilbiss and shoveled my sidewalks so that the mail can be delivered and I have yet to get mail. Kinda of a blessing, bills delayed lol but I have items in the mail that I am expecting.

posted by ToledoLatina on Jan 07, 2014 at 03:18:55 pm     #

During the blizzard of 78, we were snowed in and my dad called off work at the main post office. They plowed all the way from Broadway to Maumee to Orchard Street to bring him in to work. I wonder if they would do that now.

posted by ToledoLatina on Jan 07, 2014 at 03:20:33 pm     #

ToledoLatina posted at 02:18:55 PM on Jan 07, 2014:

Sure, lure them to a certain icicle death. :)

posted by justread on Jan 07, 2014 at 03:29:22 pm     #

No mail delivery for me today 01-07-14 Springfield... Didn't expect any.

posted by mennell on Jan 07, 2014 at 03:48:20 pm     #