Conservatives question US Chamber's plan to spend millions to defeat Tea Party style candidates in 2014

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce says it will back “pro-business” candidates against Tea Party-styled opponents in this year’s elections, largely in response to conservative lawmakers fueling last year's partial government shutdown fight.

“In 2014, the chamber will work to protect and expand a pro-business majority in the House and advance our position and our influence in the Senate,” Chamber President and CEO Tom Donohue said Wednesday. “We will support candidates who want to work within the legislative process.”

“If ‘pro-business’ candidates are interested in removing government impediments to growth and job creation, they'll find support amongst conservatives,” Holler told FoxNews.com on Saturday. “But few Americans are clamoring for well-connected special interest groups to use their political connections to secure government-sponsored privileges.”

His comments were similar to those of Matt Kibbe, president of FreedomWorks, which often backs Tea Party candidates.

“It looks to me like the chamber is more interested in protecting incumbents and the special deals of some of their members, and that’s where we’re going to disagree in primaries,” Kibbe told Bloomberg News.

I'm with Fark.com on this. [Popcorn_Eating.gif]

Let the Great Schism/Uncivil War of the GOP continue!

created by anonymouscoward on Jan 11, 2014 at 10:11:30 pm     Politics     Comments: 35

The important thing is not that the GOP is strong.

The important thing is that we keep the socialists and liberal weenies from further destruction of the fundamental aspects of personal responsibility and productivity that made the nation great.

posted by justread on Jan 12, 2014 at 09:47:02 pm     #   4 people liked this

justread posted at 08:47:02 PM on Jan 12, 2014:

The important thing is not that the GOP is strong.

The important thing is not that the GOP is strong divided and weak.

The important thing is that we keep the socialists and liberal weenies from preventing further destruction of the fundamental aspects of personal responsibility and productivity that made the nation great.

Fixed that for you.

posted by anonymouscoward on Jan 13, 2014 at 11:45:39 pm     #

anonymouscoward posted at 10:45:39 PM on Jan 13, 2014:
justread posted at 08:47:02 PM on Jan 12, 2014:

The important thing is not that the GOP is strong.

The important thing is not that the GOP is strong divided and weak.

Fixed that for you.

Socialists and liberal weenies don't care for personal responsibility and productivity, Cupcake.

That's why they join unions.

posted by justread on Jan 15, 2014 at 09:47:41 am     #   4 people liked this

justread posted at 08:47:41 AM on Jan 15, 2014:
anonymouscoward posted at 10:45:39 PM on Jan 13, 2014:
justread posted at 08:47:02 PM on Jan 12, 2014:

The important thing is not that the GOP is strong.

The important thing is not that the GOP is strong divided and weak.

Fixed that for you.

That's why they join unions.

Wrong.

If you were for personal responsibility and productivity, you'd be all for the bankster motherfuckers going to jail and the other rich CEOs who do nothing productive having their pay cut to match while ensuring the rest of us who are getting the work of 2 or 3 or 4 people thrown at us by "downsizing" and "consolidation" and whatever other buzzwords got paid accordingly.

The only productivity you're responsible for is posting your crap here as a white knight for the GOP, because you've got yours so fuck everyone else. You're the pinnacle of Compassionate Conservatism.

posted by anonymouscoward on Jan 17, 2014 at 12:46:35 am     #   1 person liked this

Do you think that because someone was successful and made money, that somehow nobody else has the same opportunity in life to make it themselves? Or are you of the opinion that they must of stole it from the poor?

posted by MIJeff on Jan 17, 2014 at 01:52:24 am     #   2 people liked this

anonymouscoward posted at 11:46:35 PM on Jan 16, 2014:
justread posted at 08:47:41 AM on Jan 15, 2014:
anonymouscoward posted at 10:45:39 PM on Jan 13, 2014:
justread posted at 08:47:02 PM on Jan 12, 2014:

The important thing is not that the GOP is strong.

The important thing is not that the GOP is strong divided and weak.

Fixed that for you.

That's why they join unions.

Wrong.

All the CEOs that I know are busy, productive and carry enormous responsibility, often having to make difficult decisions that impact many people beyond themselves. Way beyond simple personal responsibility.

I am all for criminals being prosecuted.

You seem bitter, angry and jealous.

posted by justread on Jan 17, 2014 at 10:58:26 am     #   2 people liked this

justread posted at 08:47:41 AM on Jan 15, 2014:
anonymouscoward posted at 10:45:39 PM on Jan 13, 2014:
justread posted at 08:47:02 PM on Jan 12, 2014:

The important thing is not that the GOP is strong.

The important thing is not that the GOP is strong divided and weak.

Fixed that for you.

That's why they join unions.

Nice try.

posted by Sohio on Jan 19, 2014 at 10:54:57 pm     #

justread posted at 08:47:41 AM on Jan 15, 2014:
anonymouscoward posted at 10:45:39 PM on Jan 13, 2014:
justread posted at 08:47:02 PM on Jan 12, 2014:

The important thing is not that the GOP is strong.

The important thing is not that the GOP is strong divided and weak.

Fixed that for you.

That's why they join unions.

And it's why "Conservatives" join the Chamber of Commerce.

REAL conservatives like to preach the "stand alone" or "pulled up by your bootstraps" mentality but are eerily quiet on what amounts to a trade union that fight for tax breaks and incentives that the average middle class worker never gets. I mean if each one of these business is acting in their own best interest, then why would they need to form a chamber (ie lobby group) that begs for special rules?

Nothing but RINOs protecting their stolen loot.

posted by dbw8906 on Jan 20, 2014 at 12:22:41 pm     #

All sorts of reasons, actually.

posted by justread on Jan 20, 2014 at 03:17:47 pm     #   1 person liked this

Meanwhile, justread, here are a few REAL reasons people join unions, from our friends at staunchly pro-union FOX NEWS:

And studies show that unionization has generally little-to-net positive effects on productivity:

But, I definitely agree that it is easier to lob vague jingo-nuggets at an issue as opposed to backing anything up with facts.

So, anyway...tell me some more about why businesses should join an organization that looks out for their collective best interests, but workers shouldn't? The workers are Fasci-commies, or something? You were saying? More wisdom, please.

posted by Sohio on Jan 20, 2014 at 07:16:36 pm     #   2 people liked this

Taint nothing "collective" about people may come back to my restaurant because I am a chamber member, bro.

Or, that I may get sales leads.

I wouldn't expect a union lackey to see wisdom in the observations of a free man.

posted by justread on Jan 20, 2014 at 08:50:01 pm     #

By the way, thanks for Collins.

posted by justread on Jan 20, 2014 at 08:50:57 pm     #   1 person liked this

justread posted at 07:50:01 PM on Jan 20, 2014:

Or, that I may get sales leads.

Yeah, keep telling yourself that, bro.

Or, that I may get sales leads.

You are absolutely right. Those customers and sales leads you got from the Chamber, you got all by yourself. No help from anybody. Nothing collective about it. Good old rugged individualism what made this country great. Or something. Take that, dbw!

Of course not.

Here's a little dose of some of the freedoms we enjoyed before unions stepped in and screwed it all up:

The freedom to get out of a burning building any way you pleased; as long as it wasn't the fire escape. But man, did they get some shirts made.

[Does anyone pick a restaurant based on Chamber of Commerce endorsements...?]

posted by Sohio on Jan 21, 2014 at 11:54:00 am     #   3 people liked this

justread posted at 07:50:57 PM on Jan 20, 2014:

By the way, thanks for Collins.

You're welcome. I guess.

I don't live in the city proper anymore, so I can't vote in Toledo mayoral elections. So, I am not sure why you'd thank me, but I am glad I could help. I guess?

I'm with you, though. A month into his term, he's already the worst mayor in the city's history. Why? Because, that's why. He just is.

Because...because...argh...unionlackeyherbaderpderphubbabubbaunionthugzfuggitybuggitydamnunionshoitoitunionsaretoodamnpowerfuloopadoopaihatedemocratsiloverepublicansdibbickschmibbikarghijustshitmyselfagainfilltotherimwithbrim....

Or something like that. Am I right? justread?

posted by Sohio on Jan 21, 2014 at 12:00:53 pm     #   1 person liked this

[Does anyone pick a restaurant based on Chamber of Commerce endorsements...?]

That's not what the article said. Anyway, I don't represent Chambers of Commerce. I was suggesting other reasons that a business may join one; and found plenty.

posted by justread on Jan 22, 2014 at 10:02:34 am     #

If he had been elected by ONE union vote, I guess I could thank one individual. But he was elected by many union votes, so I was thanking you as a representative and apologist for unions.

posted by justread on Jan 22, 2014 at 10:03:49 am     #

Am I right? justread?

You seem more left, comrade.

posted by justread on Jan 22, 2014 at 10:04:23 am     #

justread posted at 09:04:23 AM on Jan 22, 2014:

Am I right? justread?

You seem more left, comrade.

To your myopic viewpoint, perhaps.

posted by Sohio on Jan 22, 2014 at 07:50:56 pm     #

justread posted at 09:03:49 AM on Jan 22, 2014:

Fair enough.

By that logic, did you offer any sarcastic thanks to former Mayor Bell? After all, had he not pissed off so many union voters, Collins might not have won. So, the way I see it, it is as much his fault as mine, if you're using only that to assess the situation.

I mean, if you use your imagination, there are all kinds of people you could offer your insincere and cynical gratitude to. Just saying.

you...a representative and apologist for unions.

No use trying to flatter me.

posted by Sohio on Jan 22, 2014 at 07:56:25 pm     #

Less than 50,000 people voted in the mayoral election. Approximately 29,000 voted for Collins. I think that thanking the unions pretty much covers it. Oh, and his family.

As far as Bell goes, he looks younger already. I think that the unions did him a favor. Hope he is enjoying Key West.
Thank him? Sure. Thank you for standing up to the unions Mr. Bell. A weak leader would have caved to pressure from his former "brothers" and not made the difficult but right decisions that come with the role of mayor.

posted by justread on Jan 23, 2014 at 07:23:58 am     #

justread posted at 09:02:34 AM on Jan 22, 2014:

[Does anyone pick a restaurant based on Chamber of Commerce endorsements...?]

Your correct there is special pork barrel spending gifts from the taxpayer, corporate handouts that small business can't get, and bailouts when you don't run our operations well, and access to a team of lobbyist who fight for tax exemptions.

See CONSERVATIVES are ok with people feeding at the public slop bucket if they are white and vote for anyone with an "R" after their name. It's not abusing the powers of government if MY GUY does it. But don't you dare let anyone who votes for "D's" to form a group and do the same thing because Rushbo says their EVIL.

posted by dbw8906 on Jan 23, 2014 at 11:29:46 am     #   1 person liked this

I didn't realize what a great resource this website is. Businesses, contacts, legislative contacts, relocation information, business development resources, minority business development resources, all in one place.

And Grumpy's is a member. :)

posted by justread on Jan 23, 2014 at 12:27:42 pm     #

justread posted at 06:23:58 AM on Jan 23, 2014:

Hmm. In that case, maybe you should "thank" the thousands who did not bother to vote?

I mean, 29,000 isn't that many. If every Republican/Libertarian/generally-anti-union/Independent voter in Toledo had shown up to the polls, you don't think they might have had a chance to defeat Collins; or at least close the gap? Even just a little bit?

Really, why DIDN'T they show up to the polls, in any case? I guess they just don't take their roles as Americans very seriously? Or, maybe they don't value democracy all that much? Since you didn't bother to "thank" them, I'm sure you must have some defeatist excuse for why not voting is acceptable. I'd like to hear it.

And the union people who bother to show up and vote are the ones you have a problem with? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I think you owe a few more of your little "thank-yous".

posted by Sohio on Jan 24, 2014 at 01:00:42 pm     #

Bell: "To get where I am, I had to get up at nights 24-7 for this city. So I'm not going be in denial about a pension that I earned working 27 years to save lives."

Bell was not willing to give up any of the benefits HE spent decades earning. A firefighter pension and a mayoral salary, all at once? More where that came from! I don't really see how you can expect the guys doing the dirty work currently to take kindly to that.

posted by Sohio on Jan 24, 2014 at 01:10:57 pm     #

Really, why DIDN'T they show up to the polls, in any case?

I assume that those bastards gave up hope years ago. They should be lamented in a contemptable manner. Yes, contemptably lamentable, those bastards.

posted by justread on Jan 24, 2014 at 04:36:30 pm     #   1 person liked this

I think you owe a few more of your little "thank-yous".

Ok. I have some little ones, and some large. We are all out of the mediums.

posted by justread on Jan 24, 2014 at 04:38:24 pm     #

Things are shaping up like 2010--yet even more in favor of the Republicans because of the disaster that is Obamacare. Sure, politicians like Marcy Kaptur--thanks to whom we now are suffering the Obamacare dysfunction--is in a district that is populated by people who vote as their union tells them and others who would vote for Hitler if he had a "D" after his name--but their are other districts that actually contain thinking people. I recently read that when you count all of the 2010 local, state, and federal elections that Republicans took 900+ elected positions away from the Democrats.

Heck, 2010 looks like nirvana compared to what is happening today. The unemployment rate goes down because the only people counted as "unemployed" are the people who indicate they are still looking for work but can't find it. Your lazy brother-in-law who decided unemployment compensation or just the "old lady's" income is good enough would not even be counted in the unemployment rate. It's an Obama economy--own it--love it!

posted by Starr15 on Jan 26, 2014 at 03:56:53 pm     #

Very true.

By one measure, with a vague caveat added, 2010 DOES look a lot better than 2013.

That's just economics, though. 2013 AND 2010 look much worse than 1975 in terms of marriage statistics; since in 1975 the Captain & Tennille were still married, and it would appear that in 2014 they will not be. You can slide 2014 in for 2013 in that assessment, since these figures are misleading anyway, as they fail to account for people who are married--or recently divorced from--the sea.

posted by Sohio on Jan 26, 2014 at 08:26:38 pm     #

LOL the majority of the comments in this thread are not from Republicans or conservatives. That's pretty telling for the GOP being so divided.

I don't think 2014 will be a good year for Democrats. The panic is starting to set in.

posted by MikeyA on Jan 27, 2014 at 10:59:39 am     #

"but their are other districts that actually contain thinking people" - Sorry "thinking people" died in the country a long time ago. Who do you think elects these fucktards? Snake oil salesmen can only pedal their wares to fools continue to buy it. Have you seen what passes for entertainment on TV. We are a nation of Dad's who know more about Peyton Manning than their elected officials and Mom's who watch E Network all day long and know every detail about Brangelina then what is going on in their Statehouse.

The Republican Party is DEAD, with a capital D. We will not see another Republican President until the party stops becomes more than a doorstop for big business. Look the Democratic party is nuts deep with greed too but they throw the peasants a couple of crumbs to keep them on the voting roles. Democrats are much smarter than the "ditto heads" give them credit for. They fooled/bought off the masses with THEIR OWN MONEY.

A nation of biggest losers who dance with the starfuckers and never picks up the business/political/world section of the paper has no hope of redemption. We are in line for more Bush/Obama puppets who hurt us because we are FAR too lazy to fight back. Chris Christie ain't riding in from the sunset to save the party and you're a FOOL if you think Bobby Jindal or Rick Perry can get the job done.

posted by dbw8906 on Jan 28, 2014 at 11:19:21 am     #   2 people liked this

See dead with a capital D. From a democrat.

November is going to be fun for this member of the dead party.

posted by MikeyA on Jan 28, 2014 at 11:06:06 pm     #

So, what you're saying is...the party outside of the White House might make gains in a mid-term election?

Quite a daring prediction there, oh wise one! Did the ghost of Tim Russert come to you in a dream to impart this shocking vision...or are you just basing it on established patterns...?

posted by Sohio on Jan 29, 2014 at 09:56:58 am     #   2 people liked this

Well for a "dead" party that's something. My Grandmother has been dead for 8 years but I doubt she'll win a Congressional election this year.

And if I recall weren't you Dems saying you were going to take back the house just 11 months ago? Wow. What a flip.

posted by MikeyA on Jan 29, 2014 at 10:41:33 am     #

Ah yes. The "dead" party. Yet another cliché you can always count on: whichever party is currently in the minority is "dead." I recall that the Democratic party was "dead" in the few years after Kerry lost to Bush.

I don't want to get off topic, mikey. But the fact is, the Republican party is not dead (sorry, dbw, I have to respectfully disagree with you on that one). The lesser-powered party often makes gains in a mid-term election. So, if that happens this year, you can crow with glee if it makes you feel good...but the reality is that nothing spectacular will have happened.

"You Dems"? Who are you addressing? I'm not a Democrat.

posted by Sohio on Jan 29, 2014 at 10:55:23 pm     #

Republicans can snatch defeat out of any overwhelming win. Truth be told both sides have become so washingtonized it's amazing they can actually say they care about who elected them with a straight face.

posted by MIJeff on Jan 30, 2014 at 04:19:15 am     #   1 person liked this