If You Haven't Yet Tried The Fresh Market..........

This could be your week: http://www.thefreshmarket.com/view-specials/bogo-week

As a patron from the day they opened, I can tell you these are some great deals - that I've never seen before. Well, not such a large number of BOGO deals at the same time anyway.

created by Foodie on Jan 16, 2014 at 07:45:51 am     Food     Comments: 29

I love going to the Fresh Market. I think it's the atmosphere (classical music, good lighting). There are two things to be aware of: 1) make sure you check expiration dates--I've encountered expired items after I got home! and 2) the deli counter requires all of the patience one can muster. It's become a game with me. I go up to the counter, an employee is cleaning, slicing something, preparing an item for the oven, etc. He/she will look up, not acknowledge me, and continue doing whatever they are doing. It usually takes a "may I get some help" before they come over. I have talked twice with the manager about this, and the last time he told me that they are having problems with employees because the Fresh Market chain is not doing well. What???

posted by Starr15 on Jan 16, 2014 at 12:27:34 pm     #

Starr15 posted at 11:27:34 AM on Jan 16, 2014:

I would agree with both of those - ex dates and patience at the deli. Although, due to their last couple of not-so-great inspections, I don't frequent their deli.

As for the chain not doing well - that's the opposite of what one of their long time managers has told me recently. Was it Larry you spoke with?

posted by Foodie on Jan 16, 2014 at 12:37:48 pm     #

The Rosemary bread is great, i like the atmosphere too, and they have Kombucha, that's a biggie, and almond butter

posted by decent28 on Jan 16, 2014 at 12:49:58 pm     #

posted by decent28 on Jan 16, 2014 at 12:50:16 pm     #

Oops

posted by decent28 on Jan 16, 2014 at 12:51:00 pm     #

decent28: Must have been so good that it bore repeating smile

Foodie: Thank you for posting their BOGO offers. I've never been to Fresh Market, but I will try them tomorrow.

posted by MrsPhoenix on Jan 16, 2014 at 02:06:41 pm     #

You are welcome MrsPhoenix - enjoy your first trip! Notice their BOGO special on sausages - IHMO, they have the best Italian sausage in town.

posted by Foodie on Jan 16, 2014 at 04:50:02 pm     #

Agreed w foodie on the sausage.

posted by toledolen_ on Jan 16, 2014 at 07:42:08 pm     #

A very close friend is a manager at their Ft. Lauderdale store. He says it's very busy there.

posted by paulhem on Jan 17, 2014 at 11:49:11 am     #

They have unbelievably good pot stickers. The chicken ones are our preference. Mmmmmmmmmmmm! Oh, and the chocolate croissants!

posted by gamegrrl on Jan 17, 2014 at 12:11:18 pm     #

Nope, it's the pork ones.

posted by prairieson on Jan 17, 2014 at 06:36:22 pm     #

Oops. Pork then. Hell, they could stuff 'em with dog food and I'd probably eat 'em, as long as they included that great dipping sauce.

Now I want potstickers.

posted by gamegrrl on Jan 18, 2014 at 12:58:02 am     #

They have the best fish, spices, and produce in Toledo.

posted by INeedCoffee on Jan 18, 2014 at 01:01:38 am     #

Stopped there bright and early this am to scoop up some salmon and Chorizo for breakfast and dinner tomorrow - though not necessarily in that order.

BTW, did I mention that their Chorizo is some of the best to be had? Very lean and tasty.

Anyway, just under three pounds of salmon filets for $19 and two pounds of Chorizo for $5 with the BOGO deals. That, folks, is a top shelf bargain. Get thee to The Fresh Market - pronto!

posted by Foodie on Jan 18, 2014 at 05:46:49 pm     #

Love the fresh squeezed orange juice!!!!!

posted by newintown on Jan 31, 2014 at 08:26:35 pm     #

Yes, good stuff isn't it?

I was told by the meat dept. manager earlier this week that every Tuesday this year they will offer their boneless, skinless chicken breasts and ground chuck for $2.99/lb. Their poultry, IMHO, is the best in town.

Also, today and tomorrow, they're having another good selection of BOGO items - such as their Maryland crab cakes.

BTW newintown, if you indeed are, welcome to Toledo!

posted by Foodie on Jan 31, 2014 at 08:42:11 pm     #

hit FM today... still a little iffy about the meat after the awful health department reports. How do you get past it Foodie?

posted by upso on Jan 31, 2014 at 10:07:59 pm     #

Thanks for the welcome, Foodie!!! I have been here about a year, and really find the city to be quite lovely. I am enjoying all the food options, and exploring my butt off.

posted by newintown on Feb 01, 2014 at 01:25:21 am     #

upso posted at 09:07:59 PM on Jan 31, 2014:

Their meats/poultry/seafood I have no issue with. I've always found them to be top quality. My concerns (due to said health department reports) are with their prepared foods and deli items - things they make or throw together in house. While I never became ill from any of it or, for that matter, never found any of it objectionable. But I can't get past the thought of how the deli items are tossed together in the "back room" so to speak.

That said, I really have no idea how much of it the store staff puts together and how much of it comes ready to serve. In the past, I've also asked the deli server to change gloves before waiting on me. Something I'll do anywhere I think is necessary - or, I simply walk away. It always cracks me up to watch a server don plastic gloves then proceed to handle food, money, trash, etc. then return to wait on me with those same gloves on. Um.......no.

posted by Foodie on Feb 01, 2014 at 08:07:13 am     #

newintown posted at 12:25:21 AM on Feb 01, 2014:

You've come to the right place. Many of us here are all about good food. Let us know what you like/want to try and you'll get numerous recommendations.

posted by Foodie on Feb 01, 2014 at 08:09:07 am     #

Foodie, I discovered donuts at Tony's Country Market, just up Secor...OMG, they are fab!!!!! I also went to Red Well's for Roast Beef..yummy. I have had Wei Wei Seafood, and QQ Kitchen. I have been following the food forum, and everybody seems well versed on the good, the bad, and the ugly!!!!

posted by newintown on Feb 01, 2014 at 01:28:03 pm     #

Tony's Country Market - you just informed me of a place I was unaware of - thanks!

posted by Foodie on Feb 01, 2014 at 03:37:43 pm     #

Do you mean Tony's Farm Market on Lewis Ave?

posted by jr on Feb 01, 2014 at 03:47:47 pm     #

newintown, I used to live on a dead-end street behind Tony's Country Market. Those donuts are old-school to die for, aren't they???

posted by gamegrrl on Feb 01, 2014 at 04:04:53 pm     #   1 person liked this

It's actually Tony's Country Store, come to think of it.

posted by gamegrrl on Feb 01, 2014 at 04:07:03 pm     #

Multi-named like Ray's Pizza in NYC.

posted by jr on Feb 01, 2014 at 04:10:09 pm     #

Tony's Country Store, thanks gamegrrl. It is up Secor, in Lambertville, Mi. The donuts are so good....a nice cake donut, with so many types of glaze, or sugar. But get there early on the weekends, they go fast!!!! Also on the weekends they have a better selection.

posted by newintown on Feb 01, 2014 at 04:59:15 pm     #   1 person liked this

newintown, feel free to ask us about Mexican restaurants :-)

posted by viola on Feb 01, 2014 at 07:37:58 pm     #   1 person liked this

Ohh...Tony's Country Store donuts! The best Sunday treat every week growing up!
We still grab them a few times a year. They are addicting little things!

posted by karen on Feb 01, 2014 at 07:56:24 pm     #