Vegan Bakeries in the area?

I work with a lady who has a (very) little brother. He was one of those "oops" late in life surprises.

The poor little guy has had a myriad of health issues not the least of which are his allergies. My co-worker asked if I knew of any vegan bakeries in the area and I honestly do not.

Does anyone know of such a bakery in the area? I'm guessing the population of this area is too small to support one.

created by Foodie on Jan 16, 2014 at 12:43:29 pm     Food     Comments: 7

Do you know what types of allergies? Wheat, nuts, etc.? I don't understand the vegan part, unless the child is allergic to honey, which would be horrible.

Anyway, maybe the Organic Bliss Deli and Bakery, located in Sylvania, could offer something. I visited this place when it was located on Secor Rd. I think it's the same place. They offer gluten-free food items, including many bread and sweet-treat options, assuming the child has a wheat allergy. From their site:

Gluten Free Bakery Menu - pdf file

And I would suggest visiting the Phoenix Earth Food Co-op and Health Foods by Claudia's to purchase products to prepare at home.

The food co-op's products page lists what the store sells, including some of their gluten-free items. And the people who work at both stores should be able to answer questions.

posted by jr on Jan 16, 2014 at 02:00:36 pm     #   1 person liked this

Love that Phoenix Earth Food Co-op, playing guitar in the window....no place else you can do that, and the food is great!

posted by decent28 on Jan 16, 2014 at 02:08:06 pm     #

http://www.vegguide.org/region/555 for Toledo options

Ann Arbor:
Big City Small World Bakery
500 Miller Ave
Ann Arbor, MI 48103
(734) 668-7688

Hours:
Mon, Sat 7 am - 6 pm
Tue-Fri 7 am - 7 pm
Sun 9 am - 2 pm

Also try http://www.cakesbyrubina.com/VegansCake.htm

posted by ToledoLatina on Jan 16, 2014 at 02:11:03 pm     #

Thanks for the responses everyone. The poor little guy is allergic to milk, eggs, egg substitutes, chocolate, almonds, any type of red meat - and the list goes on and on. Honestly, I've never heard of anyone allergic to so many different things.

My co-worker was calling around during her lunch break and did come across Organic Bliss - thanks jr. I don't know if he's allergic to honey or not.

The links you all provided will be very helpful I'm sure. Thanks again.

posted by Foodie on Jan 16, 2014 at 04:46:19 pm     #

jr posted at 01:00:36 PM on Jan 16, 2014:

Gluten Free Bakery Menu - pdf file

I love the Co-op, shop their at least once per month, and am a member. I qualify with all that because they have TERRIBLE BREAD OPTIONS.

Quality bread is really a dearth Toledo-wide.

posted by filxyz on Jan 21, 2014 at 08:53:01 pm     #

My older son has a number of food allergies, including soy, peanuts, eggs, wheat and dairy. We discovered that you can get a lot of stuff in the natural foods section of Kroger. It costs (at least) twice as much, but it is out there: gluten, dairy and egg free breads, pizzas, cookies and even mac and cheese. Add to that items like turkey/chicken, fruits and veggies, plus rice and potatoes. I think it is harder for those around kids with allergies than it is for the kids themselves. Believe me, to a kid who has never had ice cream made from milk, ice cream made from rice tastes just as good.

posted by Ace_Face on Jan 21, 2014 at 09:14:15 pm     #

My wife has Celiac and we have had trouble finding decent substitutes. Organic Bliss is a great place to get some custom gluten-free or vegan bread/baked goods. Call them up and talk with them. They've custom made many items for my wife when asked and she has yet to get sick from anything. Fresh Market has some options as well as Bassetts and even Krogers. Even Costco has a decent selection of stuff nowadays.

posted by MarcMc on Jan 21, 2014 at 10:54:07 pm     #