What is happening on Dorr Street?

Between Secor and Byrne. The Wendy's is closed, the KFC is closed, and the Jed's on Campus looks closed also. Is it just a coincidence, or is something big going in over there?

created by JohnnyMac on Jan 21, 2014 at 04:27:25 pm     Comments: 25

The KFC was a trash hole. AFAIK it didn't have a drive through. I went there twice over the years. The first time they argued with me because I asked for things on the menu that they didn't have (we only gots chicken and masheds). The second I wasn't able to eat because they "don't take big bills," which apparently means a $20 for $8 in food.

The Wendy's surprises me. They were always busy. Darn inconvenient to get in or out of though. The one up on Secor closed a few years ago, which means the next closest one is what, Byrne/Glendale or Central/Reynolds?

The Jeds isn't surprising either, that location has been a problem for the last few restaurants (everything since BW2's). Their prices were higher than the other Jeds and the quality was abysmal. I imagine they'll sit closed for a year before UT buys the property and either sits on it or builds another fake apartment building like the Gateway

posted by taliesin52 on Jan 21, 2014 at 06:50:17 pm     #

The Wendy's on Byrne and Glendale is also being torn down. Don't know why because it did good business.

posted by deere1 on Jan 21, 2014 at 07:38:20 pm     #

Where was the Wendy's that caught on fire twice in a day - within the last two weeks?

posted by mennell on Jan 21, 2014 at 07:49:07 pm     #

the apartments behind them .... about half of that complex is being rebuilt. perhaps they acquired those properties and maybe adding an entrance at the intersection?

posted by enjoyeverysandwich on Jan 21, 2014 at 07:59:06 pm     #

i just checked the plan commission report... while the apartments are being rebuilt there doesnt appear to be any work on those properties

posted by enjoyeverysandwich on Jan 21, 2014 at 08:43:43 pm     #

The Bryne & Glendale Wendy's is almost certainly the one that went up in flames. I drive by it regularly and I've seen the damage. Looked like fire to me. Been half torn open for at least a week at this point.

Is the Marco's in the Dorr strip there with the KFC and Wendy's closed too? I wouldn't be surprised if the University bought that area, sat on it, and slowly nibbled up everything between there and the corner for development. If they are trying to slowly grow UT into more of a Residential school rather than a commuter school, walking mixed use neighborhoods would be the way to go.

For a couple years there was talk of a 'long-term plan' for UT to buy a bunch of land between main and Scott Park (shudder) for re-development. Anyone hear anything reminiscent of that?

posted by RobJelf on Jan 21, 2014 at 09:08:27 pm     #

UT told me they have not bought that land and do not know of plans for it.

posted by Nolan_Rosenkrans on Jan 21, 2014 at 09:12:23 pm     #

According to council mtng today, the property is being used to expand door st. they will be adding a land, ATT the only property giving them grief so far, the city seeking permission to begin eminent domain on ATT

posted by fred on Jan 21, 2014 at 09:36:41 pm     #

that of course should read "lane"

posted by fred on Jan 21, 2014 at 09:37:22 pm     #

fred posted at 08:36:41 PM on Jan 21, 2014:

OH THOSE STUPID FUCKS.

That piece of property is an AT&T central office.

419-322 419-329 419-530 419-531 419-534 419-535 419-536 419-537 419-539 419-578 exchanges are all served from that office.

Fucking City Hall is not going to win this one, because it's gonna cost well north of a million bucks just for AT&T to relocate, which they won't, because they're going to have PUCO and the FCC on their side, since they're a utility too.

posted by anonymouscoward on Jan 21, 2014 at 11:10:51 pm     #

I often think that if I were a parent visiting the UT campus I would be really leery to send my child to a school that is near the likes of Dorr between Byrne and Douglas. I love driving past the plasma donor center--lots of fine looking individuals out in that parking lot. Or how about the swell-looking Toledo Meat Market (even though I've read glowing comments about the food--you gotta admit it looks pretty iffy on the outside). Then there's that strip mall that went empty for years (with boarded--up windows). Or how about the cement block building that was converted into a church? Pretty rough crowd around there too.

It probably could benefit from a little urban renewal.

posted by Starr15 on Jan 22, 2014 at 12:16:20 am     #

While the AT&T building is an important part of the grid, they should kindly step aside. When it was built, the surrounding area was boonieville. Now it's a major corner next to campus. Think how many students walk by that tiny fortress every day. It might be a chore to relocate the wire, but that parcel could be better served with something more usable.

posted by mixman on Jan 22, 2014 at 12:24:57 am     #

"Or how about the swell-looking Toledo Meat Market (even though I've read glowing comments about the food--you gotta admit it looks pretty iffy on the outside)."

I guess that theory about all humans being unique is possible after all because I've never for a second thought that the outside of the Toledo Meat Market looked "iffy" whatever the hell that means. I am unable to narrow my brain to understand the point of your comment.

If you exited your shell and visited the inside to see all the wonderful food, then you wouldn't think about the outside of the building. But once inside, you may encounter people of a foreign descent, so hopefully, that doesn't disturb your compass.

posted by jr on Jan 22, 2014 at 12:43:03 am     #   8 people liked this

fred posted at 08:36:41 PM on Jan 21, 2014:

Jan 21, 2014 - Toledo Blade - City threatens eminent domain

The city of Toledo and AT&T Ohio have reached an impasse over the sale of a small piece of land, forcing the Collins administration to begin the process of eminent domain against the telecommunications company.

Councilman Lindsay Webb said AT&T officials might view the city’s request differently if council adopts the eminent domain resolution.

“They wanted $60,000 for the easement and we have offered $30,000,” Ms. Webb said. “We haven’t had much luck getting them to communicate with us, so starting the eminent-domain proceedings may get their attention and perhaps take more seriously what [the city is] talking about.”

I suggest that the city employ the services of Czarty and his tribe of Banshee Indians to attack the AT&T office, like the good old days.

posted by jr on Jan 22, 2014 at 01:49:29 am     #

Byrne/Glendale is definitely the one that caught fire, I was driving by at the time.

posted by taliesin52 on Jan 22, 2014 at 01:52:02 am     #

Toledo market has been there for years and making plenty of money serving delicious food. It also sells hookas and specialty foods not easily found elsewhere in toledo.

posted by EconCat88 on Jan 22, 2014 at 08:09:45 am     #   1 person liked this

Starr15 posted at 11:16:20 PM on Jan 21, 2014:

It probably could benefit from a little urban renewal.

1. Ever think that, I dunno, the reason that the plasma center is located near UT is that they are targeting students as donors?

2. I believe this is the first time I have heard "pretty rough crowd" used to describe church-goers. What is it, exactly, that made you think the church-goers were a "pretty rough crowd"?

3. Do you ever get out of your car when you are in Toledo, or is driving through the city - for you - an experience like watching television, where everything you view conforms to your expectations and you see what you want to see?

4. I studied and worked at UT for a decade and never experienced criminal activity of any kind. Not once. Is that stretch of Dorr Street a glittering high-end paradise like Chicago's Magnificent Mile? Of course not. However, it is far from the crime-infested area you seem to want to depict it as.

posted by historymike on Jan 22, 2014 at 09:12:30 am     #   3 people liked this

historymike:

1) That may be the targeted demographic, but drive by any time and all you'll see is a line of sad homeless people stretching into the lot.

2) I agree, there's nothing wrong with that church or its flock

4) I've been a student for 18 years off and on there, my wife works there, and I work with a lot of the TPD officers in that area. While UT itself is pretty safe, the neighborhood in question, the other side of Dorr, is anything but. Talk to any 8-4 or midnight shift TPD crew. You'll hear stories of gangs, shootings, assaults, etc. It might not be the Byrneports, but it sure as heck isn't Old Orchard either.

The problem UT will run into with that area is that it is deep. They can't just buy up the streetside properties and call it a day as all of their problems go for blocks behind it. The only hope would be that investors start buying up that neighborhood and offering it to the students as rental properties. As scary as Bancroft Hills can get anymore, that just may happen.

posted by taliesin52 on Jan 22, 2014 at 09:31:11 am     #   1 person liked this

I have actually been inside the plasma center. (Knew one of the nurses who worked there.)

You actually do see quite a few students inside the building. Probably don't notice them outside, because they either walk back over to campus or don't need to wait for the bus.

posted by mom2 on Jan 22, 2014 at 10:26:23 am     #

All that talk about Toledo Market, and now I'm hungry for a Chicken Shawarma sandwich...

posted by gamegrrl on Jan 22, 2014 at 11:18:13 am     #   2 people liked this

I looooooooove the toledo market. The food in the deli is great, the meat counter is bright and fresh, and the grocery offers some really fun and exotic options. Staff is extremely friendly and you always feel welcome.

posted by upso on Jan 22, 2014 at 11:49:38 am     #   2 people liked this

jr posted at 12:49:29 AM on Jan 22, 2014:
fred posted at 08:36:41 PM on Jan 21, 2014:

Jan 21, 2014 - Toledo Blade - City threatens eminent domain

WAAAAAA you owe me money for using my trademarked phrase "Czarty", Cupcake!

posted by anonymouscoward on Jan 22, 2014 at 11:53:44 am     #

EconCat88 posted at 07:09:45 AM on Jan 22, 2014:

Man, when EconCat88 says something in Toledo is good after you've dissed it, that means you're REALLY REALLY WRONG.

posted by anonymouscoward on Jan 22, 2014 at 11:55:52 am     #   2 people liked this

lol!

posted by upso on Jan 22, 2014 at 12:19:42 pm     #   1 person liked this

I like the Toledo Market for some things such as pita bread, cracked wheat, canned goods and parsley. But the meat department always has a bad smell like something is going bad there so I avoid buying meat there.

It could be wonderful area. I grew up there and it is sad to see how a vibrant area is left to go down the drain. I just cannot understand why in Toledo so many business owners, and especially homeowners let their places go to crap. It doesn't take much effort or expense, when done regularly, to keep things up.

posted by ilovetoledo on Jan 22, 2014 at 12:25:02 pm     #