Diane Larson library commercial

There is a commercial for the library running on Channel 13 right now featuring the anchorwoman and her sister. They are sitting in a restaurant and the menu is on iPads. Anybody know what restaurant that is?

created by dell_diva on Jan 26, 2014 at 10:14:50 am     Media     Comments: 24

Last time I was in Ciao they used ipads (or some tablet) for the menu. Only time I have run in to that.

posted by shamrock44 on Jan 26, 2014 at 10:16:09 am     #

Also Revolution Grill

posted by gunz1 on Jan 26, 2014 at 10:54:24 am     #

That's interesting, Do they leave the pads at the table or hand them out and pick them up like regular menus?

posted by nana on Jan 26, 2014 at 11:08:07 am     #

They handed them out like menus at ciao - collected them after we ordered

posted by shamrock44 on Jan 26, 2014 at 11:40:56 am     #

I don't think it was Ciao, maybe it was Revolution Grill?

On the subject of local commercials.... the new commercial from Buckeye advertising the CBC and the Olympics is annoying as hell!

posted by dell_diva on Jan 26, 2014 at 12:40:05 pm     #

Caught that this morning. That definitely wasn't revolution Grille, and I don't believe anyone in Toledo uses actual ipads for menus (they were sure to flash the apple logo). The tablets used by Main Street Ventures are all Androids. Mancy's Steakhouse has been playing around for a couple of years with wine lists on ipads, but hasn't expanded it yet.

posted by ahmahler on Jan 26, 2014 at 12:44:40 pm     #

Have not seen it yet, heard it was filmed at the Blarney

posted by Hoops on Jan 26, 2014 at 12:45:17 pm     #

no... not blarney... possibly rosie's

it is on youtube if you care to view it

posted by enjoyeverysandwich on Jan 26, 2014 at 06:00:00 pm     #

looks like those aren't actually menus. just props.
feels a bit like gradkowski's with all of the brown

posted by upso on Jan 26, 2014 at 06:28:37 pm     #

ok, asked a friend who is in the commercial
it's 100% Rosie's!

posted by upso on Jan 26, 2014 at 07:00:56 pm     #

So who is the guy at the end? He looks very familiar.

posted by Progress22 on Jan 26, 2014 at 08:23:41 pm     #

what does everyone here that has used one think of ordering off of ipad vs a traditional menu?

posted by hank on Jan 26, 2014 at 11:29:56 pm     #

That guy at the end looks like Will Lucas, runs TedX-Toledo. iPads are cool if they work well, only issue is in some restaurants around the country, they can make servers lazy as they answer all of your questions and turn into a crutch.

posted by ahmahler on Jan 26, 2014 at 11:59:04 pm     #   1 person liked this

Ya.. It's Will...

posted by upso on Jan 27, 2014 at 12:25:47 am     #   1 person liked this

Hank: I've ordered from an iPad menu a couple of times and the issue I have is you have to do a lot more touching of the menu (for scrolling purposes) than you do with a printed one. The germaphobe in me doesn't like that.

posted by Starr15 on Jan 27, 2014 at 08:48:50 am     #

I wonder how long they last? Somebody spills a drink on them or drops salsa...i assume they are easy to clean?

There are some things that don't need technology and this might be one. A simple one page menu with the waiter telling me the specials works for me.

posted by Molsonator on Jan 27, 2014 at 09:18:34 am     #

ahmahler posted at 10:59:04 PM on Jan 26, 2014:

Then that's a sign of bad restaurant management and a bad server. Don't blame technology on their laziness and/or poor work habits.

posted by clt212 on Jan 27, 2014 at 10:44:43 am     #

Molsonator posted at 08:18:34 AM on Jan 27, 2014:

There are proper clear covers for tablets that can prevent this. You can simply wipe off the martini or salsa. If you submerged it in the toilet, then you might face an issue, but why would you bring the menu into the bathroom??

posted by clt212 on Jan 27, 2014 at 10:46:36 am     #

clt212-Not blaming technology, just calling it as I see it. As long as being a server continues to be a nomadic, transitional career, shortcuts will be made. True, professional servers, are professional regardless of the circumstances.

posted by ahmahler on Jan 27, 2014 at 10:51:03 am     #

ahmahler posted at 09:51:03 AM on Jan 27, 2014:

I agree with you and gave you a little + on your last post. I think the restaurants with the best service and management will be the best regardless of technology used.

posted by clt212 on Jan 27, 2014 at 11:05:56 am     #   1 person liked this

We visited Revolution Grille on Thursday evening, and their menu tablets are also Android-based.

The hostess placed the tablets on the table as we were seated. The server, however, was still very knowledgeable and helpful. I liked the design of the menu on the tablet. It contained simple lists, organized by categories with a home menu link. For most items on the menu, "clicking" the item caused a photo of the item to appear. By hiding the images until they were clicked, this kept the menu simple and short and easy to use.

The software is called Menuvative created by Imenutech, located in Ann Arbor. Main Street Ventures also uses Menuvative in its restaurants.

To further enhance the guests dining experience, MSV integrated Imenutech’s Menuvative tablet menus into its restaurants which allows for wine pairings, digital imagery of plate presentations and detailed menu descriptions. MSV was nominated for the National Restaurant Associations’ Operators Innovator Award (2012) in recognition of continued advancement in technology for use of Menuvative.

Video of the Menuvative software, featuring Revolution Grille.

posted by jr on Feb 01, 2014 at 02:11:30 am     #

I love tablet menus.

Properly managed, they are always up-to-date, daily specials are on board, and I've found it can be easier to locate what you're looking for.

posted by gamegrrl on Feb 01, 2014 at 12:29:13 pm     #

Anyone ever look into what she is talking about in the commercial?

Toledo Lucas County Public Library actually offers free streaming movies and music through a service called "hoopla". Anyone on TT using this? "":http://www.toledolibrary.org/hoopla.aspx

13abc did a few stories about this back in summer, the neat thing is that hoopla is a company right out of Holland near the high school.

posted by presbacon on Feb 14, 2014 at 02:18:49 pm     #

Yep. I am using Hoopla on my iPhone. Mostly for music since I find it hard to read a book on the small screen. I have been pretty impressed at the selection. They seem to have a lot of new releases. Haven't downloaded a movie yet.

posted by daddyg on Feb 14, 2014 at 03:39:54 pm     #