Buckeye "Oh Canada" Olympic commercial

Latest installment in the childish advertising department:

Buckeye Cable is running an ad pushing the Olympic coverage on the Canadian broadcast channel.

I'm a generally happy Buckeye subscriber, and I'm generally ok with using the antenna to see whatever I might want to watch on NBC.

However, the commercials and billboards from Buckeye really leave a bad taste in my mouth. It seems so petty and childish.

created by mom2 on Jan 26, 2014 at 07:02:18 pm     Media     Comments: 17

source      versions      3 people liked this

I liked it. Buckeye is letting subscribers know that they don't have to miss coverage of the Olympics. The commercial is witty. I like Canadian television. I might miss the perspective of NBC but the owners of the local station have made their stand to try to increase their revenue. Perhaps they may yet succeed.

posted by oldsendbrdy on Jan 26, 2014 at 09:36:10 pm     #

I would say that Buckeye has no class, but that insults classless people.

posted by anonymouscoward on Jan 27, 2014 at 01:14:04 am     #   1 person liked this

It seems so petty and childish.

How else would you know it's a Block Communications enterprise?

posted by oldhometown on Jan 27, 2014 at 02:01:23 am     #   2 people liked this

oldhometown posted at 01:01:23 AM on Jan 27, 2014:

It seems so petty and childish.

How else would you know it's a Block Communications enterprise?

Local ownership? The name?

posted by anonymouscoward on Jan 27, 2014 at 02:09:04 am     #

As a born Canadian now naturalized US citizen, I have nothing against our neighbors to the north. But.... What athletes do you think CBET is going to feature? Cute commercial, but I will look elsewhere to find features on our athletes.

posted by golddustwoman on Jan 27, 2014 at 09:39:29 am     #

Seems fine to me. I don't understand the concern.

posted by Molsonator on Jan 27, 2014 at 10:00:08 am     #

CBC offers better Olympic coverage than NBC. It's one of the things I miss living in the South instead of living in Toledo where I could easily watch CBC. In 2012, the channels that I enjoyed most for the Summer Olympics were the "alternate" channels (normally they were empty channels in the listings) on Time Warner Cable that NBC leased and showed a bunch of random events (in full) that didn't play up the commercialization of NBC and the Olympics. You didn't have to hear all the sappy ass half hour stories about how an athlete overcame the death of their dog to earn a spot in the Olympics.

posted by clt212 on Jan 27, 2014 at 10:40:45 am     #   2 people liked this

"You didn't have to hear all the sappy ass half hour stories about how an athlete overcame the death of their dog to earn a spot in the Olympics."

This is my least favorite thing about the Olympics. Just show me the damned events and leave your sappy stories for the daytime talking heads shows.

posted by Foodie on Jan 27, 2014 at 12:37:44 pm     #   1 person liked this

I love the Canadian coverage... they show the "other" sports as well as the normal events... and NBC decided years ago to skew their primetime network coverage to pull in different demographic groups than the normal sports fan. Plus, you can get normal Olympic stuff on the sister NBC stations, such as MSNBC, etc.

posted by makinTV on Jan 27, 2014 at 12:57:26 pm     #

It came accross to me as childish and borderline offensive. Like....hahahha.....you can just watch the Olympics on a Canadian channel..hhahaha...what's the big deal? hahahahaha.....look....we're singing the Candian national anthem tune......Im so sick of The Blade and their smug attitudes.

Also....this is bs. There is something fundamentally wrong (and unfair to the consumer) under the current way of doing things with regard to networks and cable companies. This is going to keep on happening too. Next year itll just be another network. Then another. Then another. Meanwhile the consumer gets rear ended. Sorry, but legislatures need to step in and put an end to this BS.

posted by BulldogBuckeye on Jan 27, 2014 at 05:27:13 pm     #   1 person liked this

"Sorry, but legislatures need to step in and put an end to this BS."

Won't happen. Too much lobbyist $$$ sloshing around Wash. DC for anything that makes sense for the consumer.

Anyone else ever really think about this: Average Joe Blow (not a rich guy) gets elected to Congress. Ends up staying there for 20 or 30 years and retires a millionaire. For those 20 or 30 years, he had to maintain two homes - one in uber expensive DC - and raise a family back home with all the normal expenses the rest of us have.

Even on their current $175k'ish salaries, there just can't be much left in the family cookie jar. Yet, when they retire, they come home with suitcases full of dough.

posted by Foodie on Jan 27, 2014 at 05:41:36 pm     #   2 people liked this

I would much rather watch the Olympics on Canadian TV than a US network!

posted by viola on Jan 27, 2014 at 06:10:08 pm     #

Semi on topic, and I did post this to another thread, but...

WNWO to host public meeting on Buckeye Cable negotiations
Carriage of WNWO's signal on Buckeye Cable ended on Dec. 16, 2013, after the expiration of a retransmission agreement between the two parties. On Monday, Feb. 3, 2014 at 6 p.m., in the Grand Ballroom of the Park Inn (101 N. Summit Street in downtown Toledo), WNWO will host a town hall style meeting to provide information and answer the public's questions about the current negotiations between WNWO and Buckeye CableSystem.

The public is encouraged to attend the event which will focus on how and why retransmission negotiations take place between broadcasters and cable companies. The town hall meeting will also provide Buckeye customers with an update on the current status of negotiations between WNWO and Buckeye Cable.

Have your questions answered. Barry Faber, General Counsel for Sinclair, will be on hand to field your questions.

Buckeye CableSystem has been invited to take part in the town hall meeting; however, as of Monday, January 27, the invitation has not been accepted.

The WNWO Town Hall is free and open to the public.

posted by gamegrrl on Jan 27, 2014 at 06:35:49 pm     #   2 people liked this

Finally saw it.

Disgusting.

Wrong on so many levels.

An American company produced that?

posted by justread on Jan 29, 2014 at 09:19:54 pm     #

I sure hope that when Comcast buys them in the next year or so, that we don't keep getting anti-local pro-foreign propaganda.

posted by justread on Jan 29, 2014 at 09:22:08 pm     #

Ok, so, speaking of Buckeye has jumped the shark... two mornings in a row that I couldn't use cable modem for much at all.

And a new interest in antenna...

Those of you who don't feed the BCI beast for cable, who do you use for interwebs?

posted by justread on Jan 29, 2014 at 09:40:26 pm     #

We stand on guard for thee (profit margins)

posted by TrilbyGuy on Jan 29, 2014 at 10:29:09 pm     #