Toledo Free Press Complaint

Love the newspaper and read it each week. Great concept.

I do have one complaint though.

I hate it when they throw the darn thing in the driveway during winter months. It keeps getting sucked up into my snow blower. Luckily no damage yet but I hate the thought of incurring a repair expense because I couldn't see the free newspaper lurking under the snow.

Called them and left a nice message today. I hope they call back.

Once again, I am reluctant to complain about The Toledo Free Press because I like them so much. Anyone else have this problem?

created by shamrock44 on Jan 27, 2014 at 03:40:00 pm     Comments: 16

my snow blower vomited my free press this very morning. i never know where it will be on my property.

i like the free press but dont love it. the "star" edition folding into the main edition is fine but so much of the star content appears to have disappeared. the times i have had contact with tom pounds he can not seem to escape a certain snark factor and his writing seems to reflect that as well... being the anti-blade is not enough reason to exist.

i would like to have the city paper and the free press as a single publication... minus the hildo person or collective... they both have gaps that the other would fill pretty well ... and a better political balance from both would be helpful.

posted by enjoyeverysandwich on Jan 27, 2014 at 03:59:57 pm     #

Actually, the problem we have is that the Free Press is rarely delivered in our neighborhood. It has been so hit or miss over the years it is actually rather comical at this point. It will be delivered for about two weeks then nothing for six months.

Luckily, we can grab a copy in so many different places around town that it isn't a big deal.

As for the City Paper, that is a publication I have tried numerous times but never could bring myself to enjoy it. To me, it's like a local edition of People magazine.

posted by Foodie on Jan 27, 2014 at 04:26:44 pm     #   1 person liked this

The TFP carrier comes around about the same time each week, tosses the paper in about the same place, and I make sure I have located it before starting the snowblower.

Of course, I had to learn the hard way a few years ago. I somehow got a frozen blue Blade adver-spam package wedged in the rotor, driveshaft, and housing. It took me a half-hour to pry all that crap out.

posted by historymike on Jan 27, 2014 at 04:49:25 pm     #

You can get the TFP delivered to your home? Cool. I don't receive it here.

posted by gamegrrl on Jan 27, 2014 at 06:30:32 pm     #

"It has been so hit or miss over the years it is actually rather comical at this point. It will be delivered for about two weeks then nothing for six months."

Yep.

"I somehow got a frozen blue Blade adver-spam package ..."

Yep.

"You can get the TFP delivered to your home?"

We get these unsolicited items littered in our driveway.

Local media must be exempt from this:
Toledo Municipal Code - Garbage, Rubbish and Litter

No paper and plastic to discard by reading:

posted by jr on Jan 27, 2014 at 07:26:49 pm     #

We never get the free Press or Blade ads in our neighborhood. Wish we would.

posted by deere1 on Jan 27, 2014 at 08:05:31 pm     #

We used to get the TP dropped at the end of the driveway but this summer they started putting it on the front porch.

The funny thing is, around Xmas, it stopped showing up at all. I just joked to my wife not two days ago that maybe once the snow melted we'd fine some giant stash of them in the bushes.

posted by SensorG on Jan 27, 2014 at 08:34:51 pm     #

They deliver them to all the houses in the neighborhood here.

I just wish they would throw them somewhere other than the driveway or sidewalk.

Still no call back from the TFP. Hopefully will hear from the tomorrow.

Will keep the Forum posted.

posted by shamrock44 on Jan 27, 2014 at 09:22:50 pm     #

Still no call back after 24 hours.

I wonder if they respond to telephone complaints?

posted by shamrock44 on Jan 28, 2014 at 04:34:22 pm     #

2 days - no call back - I wonder if the TFP listens to their voice mails?

posted by shamrock44 on Jan 29, 2014 at 03:25:44 pm     #

Have you tried this method?:

posted by Foodie on Jan 29, 2014 at 04:24:40 pm     #

SensorG: ...maybe once the snow melted we'd fine some giant stash of them in the bushes.

You might. The last melt we had revealed a bunch of advertising packages, 2 outdated copies of The Blade and 1 TFP.

Of course, it might be part of the conspiracy...

posted by madjack on Jan 29, 2014 at 04:29:00 pm     #

Hi, shamrock44, this is Sarah Ottney, managing editor at the Toledo Free Press. Did you ever receive a response? Our publisher Tom Pounds is usually very good and fast about getting back to callers. If not, email him at tpounds@toledofreepress.com and he should be able to resolve any issues. The online contact form suggested by Foodie is also a good method for reaching us. Thanks for reading! Sarah

posted by sarahottney on Feb 04, 2014 at 03:58:19 pm     #

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for the info!

I left the info at the phone number that that TFP lists for the distribution desk. They must not check those messages very often, as I still haven't heard back from them.

I will send a note toTom!

Thanks!!

posted by shamrock44 on Feb 05, 2014 at 11:32:34 am     #

Emailed Tom Pounds and received a nice response!

posted by shamrock44 on Feb 05, 2014 at 01:46:56 pm     #