Any other TT'rs attend the chamber annual meeting yesterday?

I enjoyed Steven Little's talk. I think that he is right about Toledo.
He shared some "irrefutable" positive facts in a way that perhaps only a fresh set of eyes with experience in many other cities could share.

I especially appreciated his understanding that Toledoans are "open."

I have done business in other cities. Interpersonally, we really are "open."

We ARE geographically well-positioned.
We DO have an interest in education.
We DO have great access to world-class healthcare.

And we are "open" people. It makes me wonder if our politicians, union leaders, and media moguls were too, just what we could accomplish together. New partners should be easy for us as a region. Why do we allow those in power to balkanize us in so many ways?
(I am still calling this a business thread, as I don't think that it rates a local /p/)

Here is a Blade story.

created by justread on Jan 31, 2014 at 11:01:27 am     Business     Comments: 63

Read the article earlier this morning and was tempted to make an online positive comment but could not bring myself close to giving up the anonymous status. I was impressed with his statements and analysis of the heart of the community. There is more here than cheap housing. The giving spirit gets passed from generation to generation which was Fire Chief Santiago's statement at the Last Alarm.

posted by Mariner on Jan 31, 2014 at 11:25:13 am     #   1 person liked this

For me, "motivational speaker" is an oxymoron. I put Steven Little in the category of business professor--they've never created a business, but they're going to tell you how to run yours. Beware of anyone who has a "Seven Rules for..." or "Seven Steps to...."

You pay him his 4 to 5 digit speaker's fee and he'll tell you anything you want to hear. Yuck.

posted by Starr15 on Jan 31, 2014 at 11:34:35 pm     #   1 person liked this

So Steven Little has no business experience. Umkay.

posted by justread on Feb 01, 2014 at 04:46:41 am     #

The motivational speaker criticism has some validity. It does not however negate the content of a good analysis.

posted by Mariner on Feb 01, 2014 at 04:55:07 am     #

Justread:

What is Steven Little's business experience? I'm not being facetious--I'd actually like to know. What has he done other than give speeches and write books.

It's like a doctor who has never done surgery, but has written a book and gives speeches about performing surgery.

posted by Starr15 on Feb 01, 2014 at 10:33:56 am     #

So you were just making a broad sweeping generalization and you were insinuating that the guy had no business experience but you actually had no clue at all? Ok.

Let's do a market analysis:

Market value of 40 minute keynote speech by Steven Little based on having done his homework beforehand:
$12,500 for speech. $1,000 for travel.

Market value of broad sweeping generalization by an internet expert: $0

Obviously you didn't attend the event, and you didn't hear his presentation.

I'm not going to defend a guy who makes $20,000 an hour based on his informed opinions against an uninformed internet expert.

The point is, the guy does indeed have a clue, and the actual people actually engaged in commerce in northwest Ohio who actually were there needed to hear, and appreciated his remarks.

posted by justread on Feb 01, 2014 at 11:53:05 am     #   2 people liked this

Do you have any idea how ironic this is coming from a guy commenting on a thread about an event that he didn't attend?

posted by justread on Feb 01, 2014 at 12:02:35 pm     #   2 people liked this

Probably I missed it, but what again is Mr. Little's business experience?

posted by MariaL on Feb 01, 2014 at 12:33:40 pm     #

The hijack away from the positive message about Toledo, and refocus on the worthiness of the messenger is to be expected.

If there is anything that Toledo can count on, it is the negative voices of uninformed non-participants.

If anyone doesn't think that Mr. Little was a qualified and appropriate speaker, I suggest that they consider dropping their chamber memberships.

posted by justread on Feb 01, 2014 at 01:21:09 pm     #   2 people liked this

I don't know the man and I don't really care too much about the COC; however, it appears he has more "real world" credentials than "academic" on his resume.

BIOGRAPHY
Steven S. Little is a much sought after expert on the subject of business growth and the future of opportunity. As a former President of three fast-growth companies, he now advises thousands of leaders of growing organizations and communities each year. For over ten years, Steve was Also a Senior Consultant for Inc. magazine. He is the author of the best-selling books “The 7 Irrefutable Rules of Small Business Growth” (Wiley, 2005) and “The Milkshake Moment: Overcoming Stupid Systems, Pointless Policies and Muddled Management to Realize Real Growth” (Wiley, 2008).

He also regularly speaks for some of the world’s leading organizations, including UPS, Microsoft, FedEx, Bank of America, SunTrust Bank, Echostar, National Association of Home Builders, Consumer Electronics Associations, National Sporting Goods Association, Million Dollar RoundTable, American Banking Association, Associated General Contractors, Retail Industries Leaders Association and over 80 chambers of commerce. His style has been described as “real-world” “highly credible” and “uniquely engaging.”

From 1988 thru 1999, Steve was President of three fast growth companies. Both FAME, Inc. and Erb Industries, Inc. achieved profitable growth rates of over 500% during his tenure.

_Steve is a graduate of Miami Universty and has studied at The Institute for Management Development in Lausanne, Switzerland and The University of Houston’s Future Studies Program. _

posted by oldhometown on Feb 01, 2014 at 03:05:01 pm     #

I put you in the category of a negative, uninformed non-participant. :)

posted by justread on Feb 01, 2014 at 04:04:19 pm     #   2 people liked this

Starr15 posted at 10:34:35 PM on Jan 31, 2014:

Gack... where to start?

1. The biggest irony in this thread is how Star56 Starr15 claims to have been a university professor for 26 years, but then rips academics for a supposed lack of real-world corporate experience. LOL.

2. Then there is the issue of what, exactly, a business professor should be. Personally, if I were studying a business-related field such as accounting, finance, or marketing, I would want to learn theory and content from someone who spends their days researching, studying, and teaching cutting-edge theory and content, not from someone who happened to be a bookkeeper somewhere or who once happened to own a business. Donald Trump might know a lot about creating businesses, but he likely knows little about GAAP or relational models on price-centered consumer defection. He might make a great guest lecturer on a topic like entrepreneurship, but real-world experience is gained through internships and employment. You know: combining the theoretical and the practical for a broad-based education.

3. If anyone could benefit from listening to a motivational speaker, I think Star56 Starr15 might be near the top of that list. This poster is one of gloomiest people on the site, and offers little beyond flippant negativity on almost any thread he wanders into.

4. Oh, and how many businesses have you created in your 26-year academic career, Star56 Starr15? As for me, that number would be four: three that consistently made money and one that made money for 4 or 5 years before hemorrhaging cash like water going over Niagara Falls due to changing market conditions and some ill-timed decisions on my part. So, I might make a good motivational speaker based on experience, but would I make much of a university business instructor? I think not.

posted by historymike on Feb 01, 2014 at 08:21:35 pm     #   4 people liked this

You know Mike, you'd have much more credibility as a history professor if you had been around for a few hundred years.

Nothing pisses me off like a guy who teaches the relevance of the Treaty of Ghent who wasn't present.

Don't even get me started on the Boer Wars.

posted by justread on Feb 01, 2014 at 08:31:58 pm     #   5 people liked this

Historymike: Your naïveté as to how universities work is kind of cute. Allow me to educate you:

1. First, I don't have to speculate on the lack of real-world experience that most college professors have--I've observed it for 26 years. Theory is swell for textbooks and lectures, but the reason--to use your example--that Donald Trump might not know about some professor-developed "relational model" is that it is irrelevant to the actual workplace.

2. One man's "gloom" and "flippant negativity" is the rest so society's "reality."

3. As you speculated, I never started a business but have taught business courses for years! Gosh, using your logic--I know more about business than Warren Buffet!

posted by Starr15 on Feb 01, 2014 at 09:38:03 pm     #

Justread wrote:

"So Steven Little has no business experience. Umkay."

I inquired as to what his business experience is. Still waiting for Justread's explanation.

posted by Starr15 on Feb 01, 2014 at 09:41:44 pm     #

Starr15 posted at 08:41:44 PM on Feb 01, 2014:

Justread wrote:

"So Steven Little has no business experience. Umkay."

LOL.

Read the thread, genius. Oldhometown spelled it out for you. He even used boldfaced font to help you out, Star56 Starr15.

posted by historymike on Feb 01, 2014 at 09:45:42 pm     #   1 person liked this

The thread wasn't an endorsement of Steven Little, jackass. Yet his considerable business experience and credibility has been related by others. My positive reaction to good words about Toledo doesn't create an obligation to entertain your misplaced inquisition.

Your hijack was an unfortunate, uninformed, negative, non-participant misdirection from the message.

An asshole like you shouldn't be let anywhere near college students. Thankfully, when I went to college, I was taught by emotionally mature professionals.

posted by justread on Feb 01, 2014 at 09:47:04 pm     #   2 people liked this

^^
Obviously a response to Starshit trooper.

posted by justread on Feb 01, 2014 at 09:48:54 pm     #   3 people liked this

Starr15 posted at 08:38:03 PM on Feb 01, 2014:

You are hilarious. You trash business instructors, then admit to actually being a business instructor, admitting to teaching business courses without having or possessing limited real-world business experience. Thus, all I can conclude here is that you must be a self-loathing business instructor, Star56 Starr15.

Oh, and is the material you cover in your own business classes "irrelevant to the actual workplace," Star56 Starr15, as you suggested in your post?

posted by historymike on Feb 01, 2014 at 09:50:03 pm     #   1 person liked this

This is too fun. I should be working on my irrelevant, eggheadish book that is due in another month to the publisher, but I can't help myself.

OK, one more thing: if a university education has little-to-no-relevance in a corporate setting, why then does Donald Trump surround himself with people who hold MBAs, PhDs, and/or JDs? That Donald Trump must be a business idiot.

posted by historymike on Feb 01, 2014 at 10:03:03 pm     #

Justread: So you're admitting that your "So Steven Little has no business experience. Umkay" response was just BS?

posted by Starr15 on Feb 02, 2014 at 02:01:14 am     #

Geez--I wonder why Little doesn't mention the names of the "three fast growth companies" he was president of? I'm guessing they were Consulting Company 1, Consulting Company 2, and Consulting Company 3. Oops, I just started a new Consulting Company while I was typing this!!

posted by Starr15 on Feb 02, 2014 at 02:07:23 am     #

Starr15 posted at 01:01:14 AM on Feb 02, 2014:

This is too stupid to acknowledge.

So instead, I'll recap that you are a negative, uninformed, non-participant jackass who is not relevant in the business or academic worlds. A threadpisser, whose only contribution to society as a whole, and our community in particular, is to hijack and piss on threads.

posted by justread on Feb 02, 2014 at 07:50:57 am     #   3 people liked this

Threadpisser on deck: No service dress whites today, uniform is waders and hipboots.

posted by Mariner on Feb 02, 2014 at 08:04:43 am     #

If I can't find my Gorton's fisherman hat pretty soon, I'm stealing the one off of the concrete porch duck across the street. It will be a little small, I think. We'll see.

posted by justread on Feb 02, 2014 at 08:07:24 am     #   2 people liked this

Starr15 posted at 01:07:23 AM on Feb 02, 2014:

Is there something wrong with your brain, Star56 Starr15, or are you posting while drunk? In the excerpt listed by oldhometown, which came directy from Little's bio page, the names of two companies for which Steve Little was president are plainly listed (again, look for the boldfaced text): ERB Industries and Fame, Inc.

Both are still in business, by the way, suggesting that Little's tenure as president of each company was at least benign.

posted by historymike on Feb 02, 2014 at 08:22:26 am     #

Justread called me a "negative, uninformed, non-participant jackass." I am crushed!!

posted by Starr15 on Feb 02, 2014 at 08:32:34 am     #

Ok, so while I am not prepared to yield the point that Steven Little has no business experience, I am prepared to admit that the porch duck across the street, upon closer inspection, is a goose.

posted by justread on Feb 02, 2014 at 08:33:51 am     #   2 people liked this

In the spirit of the SOTU missive: What's good for the goose...

posted by Mariner on Feb 02, 2014 at 08:43:07 am     #

It suddenly occurs to me that they have absolutely nothing at Gander Mountain that is good for geese.

posted by justread on Feb 02, 2014 at 09:20:39 am     #   4 people liked this

Then try some of the marinades @ Kazmaier's

posted by Mariner on Feb 02, 2014 at 12:17:05 pm     #

Since Historymike has opened the door of personal attacks by suggesting I'm a drunk, I feel comfortable characterizing him (however, in a more constructive manner).

I'm supposing that Historymike:

**Is not tenured.

**As an "instructor," "adjunct," or whatever title that particular college gives to their non-tenured/non-tenure-track faculty--he has taught at most of the institutions in this area.

**Assuming his area of interest fits his posting name, he has written articles on already well-documented subjects (e.g. the War of 1812, Commodore Perry, Spanish American War, etc.)--perhaps even getting something printed in a juried publication that also features such heretofore well-documented subjects.

**Perhaps he's taught courses delivered online (it's difficult to get tenured faculty to teach these offerings).

**To some TT posters, as a "professor" he is much like the "maestro" was to Seinfeld's Kramer.

I'm not projecting that any of the above is "inferior" or "negative" (not like his comment about me being a drunk). Good for him--teaching is a noble profession.

posted by Starr15 on Feb 02, 2014 at 01:10:45 pm     #

Starr15 posted at 12:10:45 PM on Feb 02, 2014:

I'm supposing that Historymike:

**Is not tenured.

Too funny.

What is your point? At no point have I claimed to be a tenured professor, Star56 Starr15. I teach full-time, have a few peer-reviewed articles to my name, and I am finishing a book (actually, it is on a topic not yet covered in the existing literature, but if you prefer to believe I only churn out regurgitated material on "well-documented" topics, keep on trolling).

Anyone who has been a TT member for more than a few months is familiar with my story: changed careers in mid-life, earned my PhD at 45, working my way up the academic hierarchy. If I get a tenure-track job, hallelujah, if not, that is perfectly fine, as I love what I do.

I asked if you were posting while drunk, since you seemed incapable on at least three occasions of reading what oldhometown put in boldfaced font regarding the CEO experiences of Steve Little. This was actually kinder than calling you an illiterate fool or an obstinate troll.

My apologies to any TT drunks whose reputations may have been besmirched by being compared with Star56 Starr15.

posted by historymike on Feb 02, 2014 at 01:25:06 pm     #   2 people liked this

It's cool.
There's a difference between being a drinker; and being a negative, uninformed, illiterate, obstinate, non-participant who doesn't know when he's been owned while he comments about things that he didn't experience as he tries to make the point that people who talk about things that they haven't experience are yucky.
Besides, the rest of the drunks didn't hijack a positive thread about Toledo's positive attributes with a bunch of crap. They were raised better.

posted by justread on Feb 02, 2014 at 01:46:44 pm     #   3 people liked this

1.) At $12 - $15,000 per presentation, I'm sure Mr. Little is unconcerned regarding the opinions of an internet commenter on his experience.

2.) As a newly-minted Ph.D. (passed my defense on December 18th), the disdain apparent in Starr15's post regarding HistoryMike's work--insinuating that he is "less than" because he is not tenured--is horseshit. He more than likely knows how hard it is today to get a tenure-track position in humanities.

It's a damn shame that the "tenure class" cannot and will not look beyond their own noses to help up-and-coming instructors/lecturers/adjuncts. Instead, they are ridiculed and Starr15's attitude is not unusual amongst those with tenure.

God help me to help others when I jump on the tenure track and not be one of the arrogant prick professors I ran into during my Ph.D. grad school experience.

James Hoff: Are adjunct professors the fast-food workers of the academic world?

posted by oldhometown on Feb 02, 2014 at 03:49:11 pm     #   3 people liked this

Hey, congratulations, Dr. Oldhometown! It is a long grind to complete a PhD but I am glad I went down that road.

posted by historymike on Feb 02, 2014 at 04:04:57 pm     #

Congrats Dr. OHT.

posted by justread on Feb 02, 2014 at 04:17:09 pm     #

Oops--hit a nerve!

posted by Starr15 on Feb 02, 2014 at 04:22:35 pm     #

Isn't that the goal of a troll?

posted by justread on Feb 02, 2014 at 04:24:14 pm     #   2 people liked this

When we grew up and went to school
There were certain teachers who would
Hurt the children any way they could
By pouring their derision
Upon anything we did
Exposing every weakness
However carefully hidden by the kids
But in the town it was well known
When they got home at night, their fat and
Psychopathic wives would thrash them
Within inches of their lives

posted by justread on Feb 02, 2014 at 04:33:02 pm     #   2 people liked this

Congrats to OHT that's a long slog thru banalville. This is fun watching these learned hands poke their heads from the academic womb into a less than fully armored, bastille exchange exposing the soft underbelly to the slings and arrows of commoners. Be careful gentlmen you might learn something.

posted by Mariner on Feb 02, 2014 at 05:01:40 pm     #   1 person liked this

Thank you Jr for allowing me to post my very unpopular and wholly informed opinions on TT again. Let's see how fast I can get banned this time.

The problem with business speakers is that they're speaking. Period. That's their skill, not in actually doing any other sort of business. Workers work, if it makes them the most money. Talk is worth precisely zero, so anyone who gets paid for it is just wasting our time. One might have thought that most of you were old or mature enough to have realized that by now. I guess not.

Little's analysis of Toledo is dead wrong. I mean, OBVIOUSLY. If this was such a good place to do business, businesses would have done it by now. Our economy is viciously efficient. One also wonders why a business speaker can't realize that most basic of socio-economic facts. Well, it's not mystery: He's paid to lie to you.

So let's destroy Little's little points one by one, shall we?

"Toledo has excellent geography." I hate to tell you guys (that's a lie, since I love telling you guys), but cheap petroleum and the massive spread of road, communication and power networks made geography almost irrelevant. Setting up a business today is a big problem in data overload. There are too many places to go and too little time to evaluate it all to the 6th decimal point. Hence, Toledo looks the same geographically than just about any other place with access to water, roads, communication and power.

"You sit in the middle of the largest boom economically in the history of mankind," he said. Well, booms end. Our cheap-oil-fueled boom is over, forever. We're transitioning to an era of pricey oil, which undercuts all capital formation. This isn't even an opinion; it's physics. Nothing happens without an energy input, and ultimately that's delivered at an economic cost. Didn't Little even go to college? Did he pay someone to take his Physics 101 tests for him?

"The area also boasts an excellent quality of life." This is so obviously wrong, so woefully uneducated, so transparently propagandistic, that it hardly merits refutation. Toledo has a low quality of life. Cheap houses are still no asset when you can't find a fucking job to service anything related to living standards. A cheap house that can't be affordably kept warm, dry and safe just turns into a collapsing ruin. Toledo has significant problems with dilapidated housing, corrupt city government, union predation, high taxes, too many takers and other welfare animals, and far too few sustainable jobs to support the parasitical 1980s culture that can't be repeated, ever again.

"Toledo has world-class health care and is dedicated to education." OK, I'm in pain now, since I fell off my chair from howling in laughter.

Everybody thinks their city has "world-class health care", and in fact they may, since we're talking about American cities with established hospitals in the middle of the longest expansion of medical technology in the history of Humanity. That was never our problem (except by Human standards, it's unsustainable), so the real problem is as ever, access to care. "World class" care becomes irrelevant when only the well-insured (government shits and union fucks) and rich people can afford to keep dipping into that care facility. This is why compared to the United States, 30 other nations consistently rate higher on the scale for overall quality of care, and yet all those nations manage to achieve that for 55% or less per-capita costs than we do.

And everyone believes that they're dedicated to education. Merely having a system of public schools can satisfy that criteria... after all, we allow ourselves to be taxed to pay for such a system. That's "dedicated". So mention it is a "Little fluff", really.

"Toledo has a proven business infrastructure with workers that have skills[.]" See previous points. Any place in the United States can make this claim. It's like saying you have water service and sewers.

So... how much did this Little fellow make from us, just blowing smoke up our collective ass? That's Toledo's real problem: Our willingness to be deceived. And we pay good money to fool ourselves.

Toledo doens't need a "growth expert". It needs economic triage. We need to do less with less, since less is all we'll ever have, forever. Capital formation will only decline. Government must be downsized. Union fucks need to be exterminated like the vermin they really are. Cultural overhead needs to shrink. Toledo needs a shrinkage expert, and this Little man doesn't have what it takes. And oh how he takes, doesn't he? He's a TAKER, not a MAKER.

posted by GuestZero on Feb 02, 2014 at 05:25:26 pm     #

Oh, Jesus Christ.

The Nay Bobs have their king back.

posted by justread on Feb 02, 2014 at 05:42:09 pm     #   7 people liked this

The misable motherfuckers sure love company.

posted by justread on Feb 02, 2014 at 05:43:53 pm     #   3 people liked this

As do the miserable.

posted by justread on Feb 02, 2014 at 05:44:15 pm     #

when you can't find a fucking job

You have to question your choices.

posted by justread on Feb 02, 2014 at 06:04:03 pm     #   3 people liked this

how much did this Little fellow make from us

From you? Nothing.

posted by justread on Feb 02, 2014 at 06:10:43 pm     #

Union fucks need to be exterminated

You are actually calling for the deaths of human beings here, right?

Not the elimination of unions through reasonable processes, but KILLING humans?

Ok. It's your thread. I'd rather talk to you know, sane people.

posted by justread on Feb 02, 2014 at 06:21:18 pm     #   2 people liked this

It's his style. He makes his points as belligerently and forcefully as possible, then acts like it's a differing opinion that turns people off to him.

posted by Johio83 on Feb 02, 2014 at 06:38:41 pm     #

Shoot I was having more fun when the eggheads were spewing.

posted by Mariner on Feb 02, 2014 at 06:49:36 pm     #   2 people liked this

Mental illness isn't a style.

posted by justread on Feb 02, 2014 at 06:51:19 pm     #   2 people liked this

guestzero, get your facts straight. you have never been banned here. your account was restricted to the politics forum because you are an asshole who has no interest in obeying the site rules.

posted by jr on Feb 02, 2014 at 07:29:51 pm     #   7 people liked this

GuestZero said above:

Union fucks need to be exterminated like the vermin they really are.

In December 2012, GuestZero said :

The only good thing about a potential shooting in a Toledo Public School is that it's highly likely some Liberals would die.

GuestZero, you do not have "wholly informed opinions."

You have a broken, violent, and deranged mind.

You're definitely done here now. I don't need a disturbed person like you, advocating death to people on my dime. You can pollute the rest of the Internet with your bile.

posted by jr on Feb 02, 2014 at 09:42:25 pm     #   8 people liked this

Let's see how fast I can get banned

Goals are healthy.

posted by justread on Feb 02, 2014 at 09:48:41 pm     #   2 people liked this

justread posted at 08:48:41 PM on Feb 02, 2014:

Let's see how fast I can get banned

Goals are healthy.

I think he can check at least one goal off his list.

posted by MIJeff on Feb 02, 2014 at 11:09:55 pm     #   1 person liked this

Not that I took it seriously, but being a union member, I don't take too kindly to the death wish. Whatever.

posted by Nolan_Rosenkrans on Feb 03, 2014 at 12:18:12 am     #

Just how much do your union leaders take in for salaries?

posted by MIJeff on Feb 03, 2014 at 12:54:58 am     #

I'm with justread. Let's pray that guestzero receives some help.

This is a sincere comment on the post. I am not in any way trying to be humorous nor critical.

If guestzero's friends and/or family are able to see his posts here, please check out Rescue Crisis.

Rescue Mental Health Services
3350 Collingwood Blvd.
Toledo, Ohio 43610
Phone: 419.255.9585
Central Access Phone: 419.255.3125 Fax: 419.255.2801
mail@rescuemhs.com

posted by paulhem on Feb 03, 2014 at 10:57:11 am     #

The wages of union officials has nothing to do with this thread.
How much does excessive CEO pay and corporate lawyer pay cost?
Time to block out another angry anti union asshole, mijeff.
Angry because you never had an opportunity to have a good paying union job?

posted by User436 on Feb 03, 2014 at 11:33:27 am     #

Most of the posts have nothing to do with this thread, actually.

It's bordering on comical.

posted by justread on Feb 03, 2014 at 11:44:29 am     #

I am sure that I can find something comical here, but can we agree that death wishes are not funny? Please?

posted by paulhem on Feb 03, 2014 at 11:51:21 am     #

I am sure that I can find something comical here

Try the goose jokes. Hard to find good goose jokes.

posted by justread on Feb 03, 2014 at 11:54:54 am     #   2 people liked this