GO BIG or go home

I recently posed a question in the politics section, and I purposefully presented it in a fashion that might trip-up the more liberally-minded folks among us. I thought I might be crafty with my presentation, and in doing so, highlight the ‘lenses’ that both focus and obfuscate the way we see our world. Unfortunately, it tripped-up EVERYONE. Even after I re-phrased the question, the point was missed, and rhetoric abounded.

I selected the topical matter thinking that if I reached sufficiently low enough into the muck of humanity I would be able to establish a point upon which all minds could agree, and a foundation could be laid for conversation. Dissimilarities are all too easy to discover; it would be best to converse from within a common framework.

“YES, AIRTRAINER, PEDOPHILIA IS ALWAYS EVIL. WHOMEVER BEHAVES IN THAT FASHION IS MOST CERTAINLY CONDUCTING THEMSELVES IN AN EVIL FASHION”, was the answer I believed I would receive.

I was wrong.

It sucks to be me.

The Preamble to the Declaration of Independence begins with the words, “We hold these truths to be self-evident…”, which I believe is a fairly polite way of saying, “all of you knuckleheads should know this..”. (I would like to have been present for the conversation that ultimately produced the completion of that sentence, since it proceeds to state those things that were supposed to be…known.) THAT feeling – common knowledge and experience – the commonality and solidarity in recognizing the evil evident with pedophilia – was what I thought I would find in the responses to my original post.

I really have not frequented ToledoTalk in recent years, and it is possible that the politics area doesn’t see much traffic; that is, there is limited readership. If that is the case, then I apologize to any victims of pedophilia that may be reading these words – it was not my intention to trivialize the topic by selecting a low-traffic venue. I simply made the safest, most-cowardly forum selection.

I’m not happy with myself at this point because I should have plugged it into the Parenting forum. Before your noggin tilts sideways in confusion, stop to consider who has the greatest interest in a child’s well-being? I might have been banned from the site for my forum selection, but somebody might have SEEN the thing.

In that same vein, if we can’t discuss the most important topics of our time in the public square of our time, shouldn’t we start calling this ToledoSmallTalk.com?

Go big or go home.

created by AirTrainer on Jan 31, 2014 at 09:35:01 pm     Other     Comments: 17

It does suck to be you.

Meanwhile, how many of us simply assumed that you were trolling at best, and a trolling douchebag at worst; never expected an intellectual conversation, and therefore didn't fall for the troll?

Maybe just me.

posted by justread on Jan 31, 2014 at 09:43:53 pm     #   11 people liked this

No, it sucks to be me, my head is exploding with awesome and hilarious comments (at least they are in my head) that no one will ever see because I'm not taking the bait. Grrrrrrr! Damn you obvious trolling homophobe! Damn You!

posted by ahmahler on Jan 31, 2014 at 10:05:23 pm     #   10 people liked this

Go big or go home? I've decided:

posted by Ace_Face on Jan 31, 2014 at 10:21:59 pm     #   9 people liked this

I've found over time that if people don't understand what you wrote, it's less likely that they are stupid, and more likely that you just did a poor job conveying what you wanted to say.

posted by Nolan_Rosenkrans on Jan 31, 2014 at 10:29:38 pm     #   13 people liked this

You posted in the correct section and only got 4 or 5 different people to respond.

Ho-hum. That's life.

I for one, don't come to Toledo Talk to delve into those kinds of issues. I come here because I enjoy what it offers and the camaraderie found with other posters.

I (and I am assuming many other posters here) don't wish to spend out time here debating and discussing pedophilia.

Why would you come over to this thread to harangue us and bitch about the site?

You are probably a decent guy and have your heart in the right place. Maybe I took your post here the wrong way, but we don't need you preaching to us because we don't swarm over to the politics thread and debate the topics you want to talk about.

posted by shamrock44 on Jan 31, 2014 at 10:55:55 pm     #   7 people liked this

What in the fuck are you talking about? Seriously, I have no idea.

posted by hunkytownsausage on Jan 31, 2014 at 11:00:39 pm     #   11 people liked this

I got the impression that you wanted people to talk about your topic, but only in the exact way you wanted to talk about it. You even stated that you only wanted answers to your one question without qualifiers. No thanks. I deal with enough control freaks in my day-to-day life; I don't need any more.

Just because people don't feel like talking about the subject you want to talk about AT THAT VERY MOMENT doesn't mean everyone else is deficient in any way. Everyone comes here for their own reasons and everyone has a different agenda of what they care to talk about. Don't try to chastise me or anyone else because we don't want to engage in your conversation on a topic that you deem is important. We don't talk about starving kids in other countries, genocide happening right now across the world, or human trafficking either. That doesn't mean we're bad people or this is a bad site. This is toledo talk, not solve all the major problems of the world this moment talk. /2cents.

posted by MarcMc on Jan 31, 2014 at 11:17:20 pm     #   12 people liked this

This thread is lulz-worthy on so many levels.

posted by historymike on Feb 01, 2014 at 10:24:40 am     #   5 people liked this

That initial post is a mess. If you want people to respond, start by editing it and don't try so hard to make it sound literate. First step would be to change "whomever" to "whoever".

posted by MariaL on Feb 01, 2014 at 12:36:36 pm     #   1 person liked this

Yes. Grammar is the problem.

posted by justread on Feb 01, 2014 at 01:21:56 pm     #   3 people liked this

"It sucks to be me."

If you had ended there, all the text would been shaded in green.

posted by McCaskey on Feb 01, 2014 at 01:32:09 pm     #   1 person liked this

would *have" been shaded in green.

I wish "ToledoSmallTalk.com" had an editing function.

posted by McCaskey on Feb 01, 2014 at 01:39:07 pm     #

I don't understand. You posted a couple of links (one of which graphically described acts of pedophilia, thanks for that) then proposed a stupid leading question asking whether TT members agree that pedophilia is only evil when committed by heterosexuals. Although you are too chickenshit to come right out and say it, you obviously believe that pedophilia is tolerated in the gay community but not the heterosexual. Then you pillory other posters who actually respond. Of course, you don't address the topic head on, instead you choose to criticize the way they answer the question. I know I shouldn't feed the troll, but man you are annoying.

posted by Ace_Face on Feb 01, 2014 at 01:47:02 pm     #   4 people liked this

What a bunch of crybaby bitches!

Who knew that trying to talk about the lack of talk would result in all you jackasses tossing your toys from the pram?!?

And when did this place become so insular and divided? This place is categorized to pieces.

The best-question award goes to Shamrock44, "Why would you come over to this thread to harangue us and bitch about the site?"

It's simple. It appeared to be a trafficked area, and it seems that I was right. How dare I interrupt the important talk about men's suits or the Fresh Market! By the way, that wasn't haranguing; for me, it was far from haranguing. I compliment you on your use of language, though.

Redundancy be damned, but if you don't like how I write, and would like me to dumb it down so that your grey matter doesn't boil, I think you should stop reading now and go find yourself some Brawndo. It's awesome. It's got electrolytes.

Sausagehead - I believe you.

posted by AirTrainer on Feb 01, 2014 at 07:14:00 pm     #

Airtrainer has erectile dysfunction.

posted by hunkytownsausage on Feb 01, 2014 at 07:19:36 pm     #   1 person liked this

"And when did this place become so insular and divided?"

Seven years ago when SwampBubbles.com began.

"How dare I interrupt the important talk about men's suits or the Fresh Market!"

From that January 7, 2007 Toledo Talk post about the launch of Swamp Bubbles:

Visit this new local community Web site. I asked Chris Myers if he would host discussions on politics, school issues, big development projects, smoking bans, and other "hard stuff" or top news stories.

Time for a change. I want Toledo Talk to focus on softer topics. Toledo Talk will eventually look and function differently, and it will have a new focus and tone.

Life is easier if you don't go to a barbecue restaurant and complain about the lack of vegetarian options and vice versa. Both can be enjoyed if the differences are understood.

posted by jr on Feb 01, 2014 at 07:40:35 pm     #   3 people liked this

go find yourself some Brawndo. It's awesome. It's got electrolytes.

You said that on the other thread, too. Do you get paid every time you say it? (brought to you by Carl's Jr.)

posted by Sohio on Feb 01, 2014 at 07:59:00 pm     #