Who's selling rock salt/ ice melt

Anyone know where this stuff is still available?
TIA

created by a_fan on Feb 06, 2014 at 12:02:59 pm     Comments: 16

When I popped into the seaway market last night, there were signs on the front door saying they had some at the registers...

Cherry & Bancroft http://seawaymarketplace.com/

posted by upso on Feb 06, 2014 at 12:44:19 pm     #

From what I've heard, it's pretty scarce right now.

posted by slowsol on Feb 06, 2014 at 01:31:41 pm     #

Anderson's has 12-pound ice melt containers for $7.99. They also have 50-pound bags of urea (fertilizer) for $20 that can work as ice melter, but urea only melts ice when the temperature goes over 11 degrees Fahrenheit.

posted by historymike on Feb 06, 2014 at 06:10:01 pm     #

Meijer in Oregon had quite a few pallets of it on Monday morning, but I'm guessing it might be gone by now.

posted by hunkytownsausage on Feb 06, 2014 at 06:41:05 pm     #

My earlier comment was based on my own visit to the Andersons today (THU 2-6-14) about 4:30 pm. They had plenty, but it is definitely on the pricey side right now.

posted by historymike on Feb 06, 2014 at 07:14:54 pm     #

Kuhlman's at Central/Reynolds is advertising rock salt on the sign out front

posted by Hoops on Feb 06, 2014 at 09:58:36 pm     #

On the news last night, Gladieux Do It Best said that they were expecting a large shipment of salt today. (300 bags, I think?)

They expect it to go quickly though.

posted by mom2 on Feb 07, 2014 at 08:50:47 am     #

historymike posted at 05:10:01 PM on Feb 06, 2014:

The urea thing just struck me as hilarious, all I could think of was men writing their names in the snow. Its looking like Calcium Chloride is the champ at about -25 F followed by Magnesium Chloride at about -15 F, but Calcium Chloride is very damaging to plants and Magnesium Chloride isn't.

posted by MIJeff on Feb 07, 2014 at 11:58:16 am     #

Where can we get Magnesium Chloride?

posted by endcycle on Feb 07, 2014 at 12:22:24 pm     #

Simply mixing them together won't yield magnesium chloride, nor will the resulting mixture act like MgCl2.

posted by prairieson on Feb 07, 2014 at 04:10:41 pm     #

Well, rather than wait for the shipping and look up the chemistry to make MgCl2 happen, I went to the Andersons in Maumee where they had "Ice Melt Plus" near aisle 33. Seems to work beautifully.

posted by endcycle on Feb 08, 2014 at 12:07:49 pm     #

Bumping... I'm in need of ice melter of any type for very early tomorrow morning. Expecting that things will be icey and dicey. Anyone know of a source open tonight? Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions.

posted by LetItBe on Feb 20, 2014 at 08:49:04 pm     #

Okay... Never mind. Just saw that this wet stuff should not be freezing tonight. But still... in anticipation of the next winter round, I'm stocking up tonight and headed to Kuhlman's tomorrow.

posted by LetItBe on Feb 20, 2014 at 09:07:08 pm     #

Lowe's on Alexis just got in 300 bags today, and they expect another 900 tomorrow.

posted by gamegrrl on Feb 25, 2014 at 12:22:17 pm     #

Thank you, gamegrrl! Hoping to make some of those my very own :)

posted by LetItBe on Feb 25, 2014 at 07:53:53 pm     #   1 person liked this