Auto Detailing in Toledo?

I wonder if anyone in the TT community can offer advice on this?

Been hauling the snowblower back and forth a lot this winter (parents, grandparents, in-laws, my sister's in-laws...it never ends), and in the course of it all, the gas can somehow got knocked over, spilling some gasoline in the rear of my wife's Explorer.

I've tried every home remedy I could find, and I was able to knock the smell down a little bit, but it's still there. This has Mrs. Sohio less than pleased.

Does anyone know of an auto detailing place around here that can fix this? I've called two already, both of whom had to suppress laughter when I asked them; leading me to think maybe this is something well outside the realm of a normal car wash?

I've always had good luck with the recommendations I see on this board, so I thought I'd give this a try. Thanks!

created by Sohio on Feb 07, 2014 at 02:01:58 pm     Comments: 29

I have used TST in the past for various things - they are located on Holland-Sylvania. Ask for Dino.

posted by ajm00733 on Feb 07, 2014 at 02:40:00 pm     #

Have you tried some old fashioned Lestoil? Or, Fels Naptha soap?

posted by Foodie on Feb 07, 2014 at 05:05:03 pm     #

...spilling some gasoline in the rear of my wife's Explorer.

Ha!
Ha!Ha!
Ha!Ha!Ha!

You have got to be kidding me. You actually did this? Did it occur to you that maybe it would be better to set fire to the Old Lady's Explorer and collect the insurance rather than go home with a car that smells like a service station, circa 1955? How'd you break the news to her?

Ha! You're even dumber than I am!

Ha! Ha! snort

Well... back in the bad old days, a professional drunk managed to somehow, and we don't know just how, but one way or another this genius managed to put gasoline into the water tank of his RV. The friendly folks at the RV repair place said it would cost upwards of $30,000 to fix, as the entire water system would have to be replaced. After his hands stopped shaking, he called my brother, Shotgun Bob, who put him on to a chemist whom we'll call Shubert. Shubert had a good laugh and said that what the drunk needed was an emulsifier, which he could put together in a few minutes. Shubert disappeared into his lab, and when the racket stopped he reappeared with two gallons of emulsifier which were then shipped to General Delivery in Taos, New Mexico.

So.

Seriously, I suspect what you really need is a chemist. Virtually all of these detailing places aren't equipped to deal with a HazMat spill (which is what you've got) that has soaked into the carpet and upholstery of your Ball and Chain's Explorer. Look up chemists and pick one - Shubert is long gone or I'd pass along your contact info - tell him your problem and wait for him to stop laughing. He can probably help you out.

posted by madjack on Feb 07, 2014 at 06:02:50 pm     #   1 person liked this

Right after I posted this I remembered that the folks who are cleaning up the wildlife (birds, baby seals and other critters) after an oil spill are using that blue detergent (Dawn?), and they say that it's the only thing that cuts the oil. If you strike out with a chemist, you might try some of that stuff and water. I think it's the only blue dish-washing detergent on the market.

I'd be tempted to wait until the weather warms up a tad, but that's up to you.

posted by madjack on Feb 07, 2014 at 06:06:32 pm     #

Very helpful, madjack. Thanks a lot.

posted by Sohio on Feb 07, 2014 at 06:20:05 pm     #

When the upholstery is clean, tear it out.

posted by justread on Feb 07, 2014 at 06:35:58 pm     #

Actually, madjack mentioned Dawn. I had read online that Dawn was the way to go, so I tried it. It seems to be working. Still a slight odor, but I'm going to go at it again tomorrow and see if I can't kill the rest of it.

So, buried somewhere in all that snark, madjack actually hit upon something worthwhile!

posted by Sohio on Feb 07, 2014 at 06:41:18 pm     #

Its fun to see what jogs madjack. Some would call it a flashback...I would like to think he is just going down memory lane....

posted by Molsonator on Feb 07, 2014 at 06:42:42 pm     #

When I was a kid, we had gas stations named Sohio. Ironic.

posted by justread on Feb 07, 2014 at 06:50:13 pm     #

Yeah...notice how it was in two installments? Like part 1 was the useless reminiscence...part 2 was maddie coming around and actually trying to be helpful. Madjack works in stages.

posted by Sohio on Feb 07, 2014 at 06:50:49 pm     #   1 person liked this

justread posted at 05:50:13 PM on Feb 07, 2014:

When I was a kid, we had gas stations named Sohio. Ironic.

Um...yeah. You're not the first person to point that out.

posted by Sohio on Feb 07, 2014 at 06:52:33 pm     #

That's cool. I wasn't shooting for first. I was just waiting for a gasoline thread.

posted by justread on Feb 07, 2014 at 07:01:20 pm     #

Really? I think I've made mention of Sohio (as in the REAL Sohio, Standard Oil, I mean) before, in other threads.

posted by Sohio on Feb 07, 2014 at 07:02:28 pm     #

Ok, ethyl.

posted by justread on Feb 07, 2014 at 07:55:20 pm     #   2 people liked this

Sohio posted at 05:41:18 PM on Feb 07, 2014:

He usually does - but I also enjoy his brand of snark.

posted by Foodie on Feb 07, 2014 at 08:33:27 pm     #   1 person liked this

justread posted at 06:55:20 PM on Feb 07, 2014:

Ok, ethyl.

Lucy!!!! You got some 'splanin' to do!

posted by Foodie on Feb 07, 2014 at 08:34:41 pm     #

I second the rec for TST, and talk to Dino.

posted by MrGlass419 on Feb 07, 2014 at 09:35:00 pm     #

Foodie posted at 07:34:41 PM on Feb 07, 2014:
justread posted at 06:55:20 PM on Feb 07, 2014:

Ok, ethyl.

Lucy!!!! You got some 'splanin' to do!

Read it as "loooo seeeeee!!!!" :D

posted by justread on Feb 07, 2014 at 10:02:22 pm     #

Breaking Bad season 5, episode 12.

Gas soaked in? Yeah, good luck with "clean up."

posted by justread on Feb 07, 2014 at 10:39:29 pm     #   2 people liked this

Sohio posted at 05:52:33 PM on Feb 07, 2014:
justread posted at 05:50:13 PM on Feb 07, 2014:

When I was a kid, we had gas stations named Sohio. Ironic.

Um...yeah. You're not the first person to point that out.

My family used to own one of those stations.

posted by justphillips on Feb 08, 2014 at 01:18:46 pm     #

justphillips posted at 12:18:46 PM on Feb 08, 2014:
Sohio posted at 05:52:33 PM on Feb 07, 2014:
justread posted at 05:50:13 PM on Feb 07, 2014:

When I was a kid, we had gas stations named Sohio. Ironic.

Um...yeah. You're not the first person to point that out.

My family used to own one of those stations.

I see what you did there your not 76 are you?

posted by MIJeff on Feb 08, 2014 at 03:50:40 pm     #   1 person liked this

you're

posted by MIJeff on Feb 08, 2014 at 03:50:59 pm     #

When I was younger I ran a few marathons.

posted by justread on Feb 08, 2014 at 04:03:58 pm     #

Philips is 66, not 76.

76 was Union 76, or UNOCAL. Save the 76 ball! http://www.savethe76ball.com/

More trivia, while we're having fun:

Standard Oils:
Ohio: Sohio
New York: Socony, now Mobil
Indiana: Stanolind, later Amoco
Kentucky: Kyso, absorbed by Chevron
California: Socal, later Chevron
New Jersey: Esso, later Exxon

This doesn't have much to do with getting horrid smells out of a car, but it's fun. And nobody is getting accused of buggery.

posted by Sohio on Feb 08, 2014 at 06:21:10 pm     #

So...I guess nobody will be smoking in this car for the foreseeable future...

posted by oldhometown on Feb 10, 2014 at 12:35:00 am     #

Sez you! Like I'm going to let a little risk of explosion and horrible fiery death get in the way of a nicotine fix.

posted by Sohio on Feb 10, 2014 at 06:29:34 am     #

When my drunk friend puked all inside the back seat of my car I thought I was never going to be able to get the smell out....even worse it was summer.....I went the route with pouring baking soda over the mess and then pouring vinegar on it. It took the smell of vomit out but left a very strong smell of vinegar. Which I like vinegar so I didn't mind.

posted by stooks on Feb 10, 2014 at 05:32:18 pm     #

Wasn't sure if you still needed recommendations, but there's a place on the corner of Drulliard and Wales road (I think its called the Finish Line, but not positive) in Northwood / Walbridge by the railroad tracks. They do a lot of the work for the car dealerships in Oregon, so they could probably help you.

posted by tm2 on Feb 13, 2014 at 09:40:42 am     #

I use vinegar and baking soda to clean the kitchen sinks, that works great actually so that might also help get rid of the gas smell for you.

Now I have a craving for a salad with red-wine (or white-wine) vinegar, olive oil and Greek seasoning. 8-)

posted by tm2 on Feb 13, 2014 at 09:47:19 am     #