What is the name of that old restaurant???

Back in the 80's we had a few robotic oriented restaurants in town that catered to kids.

One was Major Magic's on Sylvania. Another one was in the Greenwood mall and the third one was on Reynolds Road.

A friend of mine hit us with the question this morning about the name of the one that was on Reynolds Road.

I seem to recall that at least one of the characters had a fireman theme. It was a Dalmatian with a fire helmet and a fire hose.

My friend thinks that after the business went under the building may have been converted to a Rental hall, maybe called Mazurco's or something like that.

Does anyone here recall the name of the restaurant that was on Reynolds (or for that matter the one that was in Greenwood Mall when it opened?)

created by shamrock44 on Feb 08, 2014 at 10:40:12 am     Comments: 30

Are you sure it was greenwood mall? There was one at Northtown called tex critters.

posted by jhop on Feb 08, 2014 at 11:14:22 am     #

You are right hop! That was the Northtown Mall! Good catch!

Still looking for the name of that Reynolds Road restaurant. Was on Ryenolds, possibly near Hill.

posted by shamrock44 on Feb 08, 2014 at 11:21:19 am     #

Smarties Parties? I think that was near Hill. Wasn't the place on Reynolds that is now Asset Protection Company the original Chuck E. Cheese?

posted by Ace_Face on Feb 08, 2014 at 11:31:48 am     #

Was it Razmataz? I remember going there when I was a kid. Not sure of the spelling.

posted by idinspired on Feb 08, 2014 at 11:32:58 am     #

posted by idinspired on Feb 08, 2014 at 11:33:00 am     #

Where was / is Greenwood Mall? Never heard of it.

posted by dell_diva on Feb 08, 2014 at 11:50:11 am     #

Greenwood Mall is the shopping center on the NE corner of Lewis/Alexis, dell_diva.

posted by historymike on Feb 08, 2014 at 12:01:22 pm     #

Wasn't the one on Reynolds called Smarty's.

posted by SensorG on Feb 08, 2014 at 12:43:34 pm     #

I think Smarty's Pizza is probably the name we are looking for! Does anyone remember Smarty the Owl?

posted by shamrock44 on Feb 08, 2014 at 12:43:45 pm     #

I remember that place. It had an animatronic band with some kind of firehouse theme. The dog was a dalmatian, and the eyes would light up and the dog would bark along with the 'music' that played. The animatronics were pretty impressive, especially for that period. Everything synced up really well, but I'll bet the maintenance on the band was something else.

I think this was Firehouse Pizza, but it might have been Razz-Ma-Tazz.

posted by madjack on Feb 08, 2014 at 12:47:53 pm     #

I remember being in Smarties (Smarty's) and the room they had for the arcade games, but that's about it... was probably five or six at the time.

Razz-ma-tazz was on Monroe next to Franklin Park Cinemas. I found a token from there a couple months ago going through a box of coins.

Showbiz Pizza was at Northtowne Mall.

A place called Fat Darril's (sp?) was on Secor, maybe somewhere near Westgate. I never went there.

Major Magic's was the place to go. Best pizza and arcade.

Was the original Greenwood Mall razed? I read somewhere it was enclosed, although it would have been pretty small given the property size. What years was it open? And what pizza place was there?

posted by mixman on Feb 08, 2014 at 01:39:17 pm     #

The greenwood mall is still standing but was reconfigured with several larger stores. The pizza place at Northtown was Tex Critters, it was in the Lion store wing of the mall next to York steak house.

posted by jhop on Feb 08, 2014 at 04:06:11 pm     #

i think you covered everything except Old Town at Sothwyck. A kid once took 5 dollars from my hand and ran off into the mall when I was about 8 or 9.

My vote would go 1. Fat Darryls 2. Razmatazz 3. Major Magics. Also, putt putt on Monroe had a fantastic selection of arcade games.

posted by nick44 on Feb 08, 2014 at 04:16:57 pm     #

Wasn't Tex Critters in the slot that LensCrafters eventually moved into? Across from Kay Bee? There was some arcade there that blew my mind because they had like three donkey kong games.

posted by a_fan on Feb 08, 2014 at 05:26:25 pm     #

a_fan, I think you have the right spot in the mall. My Mom worked at the mall, then had a kiosk there in the early 80's. Used to take me to work with her before I started kindergarten and I was bummed when TeX Critters closed.

posted by TrilbyGuy on Feb 08, 2014 at 07:18:39 pm     #

I used to go to Tex critters and play Dragons Lair on a pc for about $5.00 an hour. they had several computers that you could rent time on, I think they were TI99A's.

posted by jhop on Feb 08, 2014 at 09:38:12 pm     #

Razz-Ma-Tazz was adjacent to the cinemas on Monroe Street. It didn't last long.

posted by Starr15 on Feb 08, 2014 at 11:37:42 pm     #

Anyone have any pictures from Olde Town?
I used to think that was the greatest place in town as a kid and it has haunted me every since. I was mortified when they turned it into cinemas.

posted by Shabadoo on Feb 09, 2014 at 01:03:40 am     #

When Southwyck closed, it got me thinking: I wonder if the KC owners had a stash of material related to the mall? Pics, advertising, etc.

posted by Ace_Face on Feb 09, 2014 at 05:36:40 pm     #

Shabadoo posted at 12:03:40 AM on Feb 09, 2014:

Anyone have any pictures from Olde Town?

Didn't Olde Town have two entrances...the main entrance and then a hallway "backside" entrance by the Hickory Farms/B. Dalton stores?

Smarties Parties/Pizza was absolutely the one on Reynolds. Went to a ton of birthday parties there from about 1st - 4th grade. Only made it to Major Majics a few times over the years...just not in my end of town.

With all the arcade/80s love on this board, I wish we had a place like this in Toledo. Maybe an idea for a new joint downtown (no robots, sorry)? Check it out.

Ground Kontrol Classic Arcade (Portland, Oregon).

posted by oldhometown on Feb 10, 2014 at 12:43:17 am     #

I just was watching this the other day. Pretty interesting.

posted by stooks on Feb 10, 2014 at 09:49:06 am     #

oldhometown posted at 11:43:17 PM on Feb 09, 2014:
Shabadoo posted at 12:03:40 AM on Feb 09, 2014:

Anyone have any pictures from Olde Town?

Ground Kontrol Classic Arcade (Portland, Oregon).

I've long fantasized about opening a bar with a true arcade in it. Don't know if it'd work in Toledo though- we might have too small of a population that would WANT to play video games and drink vintage games. Maybe by UT?

posted by endcycle on Feb 10, 2014 at 10:41:19 am     #

Wasn't Fat Darryl's in the UT Student Union?

posted by Anniecski on Feb 10, 2014 at 11:18:38 am     #

endcycle posted at 09:41:19 AM on Feb 10, 2014:
oldhometown posted at 11:43:17 PM on Feb 09, 2014:
Shabadoo posted at 12:03:40 AM on Feb 09, 2014:

Anyone have any pictures from Olde Town?

Ground Kontrol Classic Arcade (Portland, Oregon).

Although I would happily patronize such an establishment, our hipster population is (thankfully) too low here to support it long term. You have to look to the cities with ample numbers of skinny beardos and girls in slouchy knit hats for one of these places to make it i.e. Portland, Brooklyn, Columbus, etc.

posted by Ace_Face on Feb 10, 2014 at 12:14:25 pm     #

You could open a Dave and Buster's type of place with part of it dedicated to the older arcade style games... it would appeal to the boomers and their kids and grandkids.

posted by Mike21 on Feb 10, 2014 at 12:45:10 pm     #   1 person liked this

Ace_Face posted at 11:14:25 AM on Feb 10, 2014:
endcycle posted at 09:41:19 AM on Feb 10, 2014:
oldhometown posted at 11:43:17 PM on Feb 09, 2014:
Shabadoo posted at 12:03:40 AM on Feb 09, 2014:

Anyone have any pictures from Olde Town?

Ground Kontrol Classic Arcade (Portland, Oregon).

Yeah, the unshaven set does seem to like these places more. Although with the reminiscing about Red Baron/Putt Putt/Smarites/Major Majics/Razz-Ma-Tazz/Dominics (vastly underrated game room!)/etc., there aren't enough people now in their late 30s-40s (maybe 50s) who would throw down a few drinks and have some fun? Run it like a real bar to keep out the teenagers (no one under 21 admitted after 8PM or something) and let the grown up kids have fun.

The big draw with Ground Kontrol is that it is still a quarter per play (they don't gouge you for a dollar per play or some stupid BS to maximize revenue). I'm guessing the alcohol sales more than make up for any costs in keeping up old machines.

I think the bigger hurdle is finding enough old-tech geeks to keep the machines running. Those joysticks and buttons--no matter whether it was then or now--take a crapload of pounding and abuse.

Ah well...guess I still have to go to Cedar Point in the summer to get my old game fix....

posted by oldhometown on Feb 10, 2014 at 04:40:41 pm     #

Where was the Putt Putt on Monroe Street? When did it close? I remember going to the Putt Putts on Heatherdowns and Alexis, but not one on Monroe Street.

posted by clt212 on Feb 10, 2014 at 04:52:22 pm     #

If I recall correctly, Putt Putt existed on Monroe St. in two locations. The first incarnation was farther west, toward Talmadge, and the second was farther east. Both on the "south" side of the road. The second one had a big emphasis on video games.

posted by justread on Feb 10, 2014 at 05:03:38 pm     #

Ther ewer two Putt-Putt locations on Monroe Street. It used to be located on the spot that became the Kroger, and then the Franklin Mall Cinemas, across from Nick and Jimmys. That one closed around 1976 or so.

I guess it was actually popular enough to be re-built, this time down the street on what is now the Kohl's location. I spent a lot a Saturday mornings there as a kid playing 9-12 for only $5. And playing Gorf and Missile Command, of course.

posted by JohnnyMac on Feb 10, 2014 at 05:04:09 pm     #

There was also a Putt-Putt at Great Eastern. The older ones, like Great Eastern and the original Monroe Street location, had wooden boards, which were much harder to get a true bounce off of. The newer Putt-Putts used aluminum, which was was much more consistent.

posted by JohnnyMac on Feb 10, 2014 at 05:07:40 pm     #