Bill Delaney running against Jon Stainbrook

I don't know how many of you saw this but Bill Delaney is running against Jon Stainbrook for a Central Committee position in the Republican party.

This is a pretty big seat because State Central Committee members choose party platforms and endorse party candidates.

Here is a story from the Toledo Tea Party going into more detail: http://toledoteaparty.com/bill-delaney-announces-candidacy-to-run-against-jon-stainbrook-for-lucas-county-state-central-committee-11/

I believe Bill will make a great Central Committee member and represent the GOP a lot better than how it has been represented locally and recently.

But, what do y'all think?

created by RonJohns on Feb 08, 2014 at 01:20:18 pm     Local-Politics     Comments: 14

Young and dumb, there is a reason those words go together, and we all have been there. After you supported Ron Paul for President, now you want to hitch your wagon to Bill. Not an ice cube chance in hell will he prevail.

posted by OldTimer on Feb 08, 2014 at 01:47:59 pm     #

Not hitching a bandwagon but starting a liberty movement in the city and state I love. The words young and dumb only go together because you put them together.

Bill is a great guy and I have my full faith in him that he will win. I can back him just like I backed Ron Paul because both men are principled in their convictions of free markets and individual liberty. Two principals that the state Republican party is severely lacking as of current.

posted by RonJohns on Feb 08, 2014 at 03:27:19 pm     #

Who would of thought Stainbrook had any chance with his background. Call me whatever you want (like old and smart) I'm with Delaney.

posted by SherryET on Feb 08, 2014 at 03:41:12 pm     #

Sherry, you would be old and wise. After reading the kids page, It reminded me of the story about the 28 year old man who when he was 18 could not believe how little his parents understood about the world around them, and was amazed on how much they had learned in the last 10 years. If he has political aspirations, It is hard enough for a Republican to get elected in a Democratic town, let along a Libertarian.

posted by OldTimer on Feb 08, 2014 at 05:22:40 pm     #

I'll grant you that it is hard to get elected as a Republican to Toledo offices (although Josh Lanzinger just did it) it should be easier for countywide offices. Perrysburg, Maumee and Sylvania are hardly democratic bastions. I believe that a pro-business conservative with name recognition (think Anderson, Savage, etc) could run a successful campaign for a Lucas County office. Stainbrook is a clown, but he did the tough work of getting his people in position to control the central committee. Does Delaney have a plan to get Stainbrook out?

posted by Ace_Face on Feb 08, 2014 at 06:10:52 pm     #   1 person liked this

Ace_Face posted at 05:10:52 PM on Feb 08, 2014:

^^

This. Getting Stainbrook ousted takes a lot more than creating Facebook pages and emphasizing ideology. He hijacked gained control of the party precinct-by-precinct, getting enough reliable pals elected at the precinct level to ensure that he had enough votes to win the chair.

And don't think for a microsecond Stainbrook does not know that his political survival depends on maintaining this network of precinct-level supporters.

posted by historymike on Feb 08, 2014 at 06:22:56 pm     #   1 person liked this

I'd support Opal Covey (basically anybody) over Stainbrook. He's a very bad joke. But, he knows how to manipulate the system.

posted by Foodie on Feb 09, 2014 at 08:31:12 am     #   1 person liked this

RonJohns posted at 02:27:19 PM on Feb 08, 2014:

I've voted R many times in the past, but at this point I think you've hit on something- the party has moved far away from any libertarian base of ideals. They've been taken over almost completely at the base levels by really weird and surprisingly small groups.

I personally would be more likely to vote for a libertarian candidate that had a brain than pretty much any republican I've seen in any campaign in the last several elections. A few intelligent examples (huntsman) are around, but the party itself is just getting too weird for me.

posted by endcycle on Feb 09, 2014 at 11:15:28 am     #   1 person liked this

Unless I'm reading something wrong, there is just one minor problem with Delaney and his statements about Stainbrook and the local party, BoE, et al. According to the article, Delaney is running for State Central Committee - that does not in any way get Stainbrook off of, out of or away from the Lucas County Republican Party.

The State Central Committee is totally separate from the local party, although the state central committee is supposed to be the voice of the local party at the state level. But it has nothing to do with what Stainbrook has or has not done at the BoE, with the local party, etc.

Is any one running Stainbrook for the Lucas County Central Committee? That is what needs to be done to make the local political scene different.

posted by MrsArcher on Feb 10, 2014 at 12:16:49 am     #

MrsArcher, so if that is true, then you are saying that the tea party on their own website do not understand how the process works? Why does that not surprise me? With the A and B team Democrats and the fractured Republicans no wonder you have to be an Independent to get elected.

posted by OldTimer on Feb 10, 2014 at 11:05:56 am     #

MrsArcher is correct, this article is actually just about Delaney running for State Central Committee which every registered Republican can vote for.

Stainbrook holds two elected offices in the Republican party.
1.State Central Committee
2.Lucas County GOP Chairman

The State Central Committee position is open to any Registered Republican in State Central Committee district 11 to vote for. The Lucas County GOP Chairman is elected by GOP precinct committee men/women. There are 364 precinct districts across Lucas county with an elected member from each unless no one ran and it goes vacant. historymike touched a bit on that.

But this article is just about Bill running against Jon for the first mentioned position of State Central Committee. If you are a registered Republican I highly recommend you vote for Bill Delaney. If you are on the fence and need a party or have been burned by bad Republicans like endcycle was I suggest you give the GOP one more chance and see what new we will have to offer.

posted by RonJohns on Feb 10, 2014 at 02:42:35 pm     #

"I suggest you give the GOP one more chance and see what new we will have to offer."

What do you have that's new to offer at this point that might be different?

posted by endcycle on Feb 10, 2014 at 05:17:36 pm     #   1 person liked this

Stainbrook holds two elected offices in the Republican party.
1.State Central Committee
2.Lucas County GOP Chairman

Wrong, Stainbrook holds a third office - he is a County Precinct Chair, elected by the republicans in the precinct he (supposedly) lives in. He can be GOP chair without being a precinct chair, but I do believe he was elected precinct chair as well.

What new will you have to offer? Lets start with how many precinct chairs are recruited to run against Stainbrook's crew? Did anyone recruit someone to run against him specifically and his concubine Gallagher? If you have someone to run against Gallagher, than you may be able to get the central committee control away from Stainbrook. If you don't have either of these, State Central Commitee doesn't matter.

I hate to be pessimistic, and I know there are a group of what I will call displaced Republicans making another run at the Stain this time around again, but I was there, I was in the battle, I fought hard, but until the legal system is willing to take on the illegalities that Stainbrook is commiting, its pretty hopeless, IMO.

posted by MrsArcher on Feb 10, 2014 at 05:35:57 pm     #

endcycle I'll make sure to post on here candidates that I will be endorsing when I endorse but there will be at least a handful of Republicans that will be liberty minded meaning wanting to actually get government out of the lives of its citizens financially and socially to an understandable degree. Bill Delaney is the first and will be one of many races to show conservatism can be competitive in Toledo. What we will have to offer is candidates sticking to principals of conservatism instead of trying to harass pet store owners.

MrsArcher your right, he most likely is a precinct chair and I get what your saying. I know past attempts have been pretty bad and the Secretary of State has done nothing but I can say the Lucas County GOP is going to get better. The first start however is getting Bill Delaney in this office and voting for your central committee person very carefully.

posted by RonJohns on Feb 11, 2014 at 04:20:44 pm     #